Hardware Hacking Fake RCMloader dongles in the wild

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
oh, so it’s not like with the 5.9.0 where you delete everything and then just drop the folders with updated payloads back on? that worked for my fake model when 5.9.0 dropped and I could not inject properly
I don't really know, but my fake one still no inject 6.0.1 even after formatting using FAT12 512 cluster and copy back the folders and payload file.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can’t believe this thread went on for 7 pages. Post#9 was on the right track, and posts 11 and 12 clarified what was wrong with post 9. Done? Apparently not. Same info brought up on later pages as if it was a new concept. Why do people chime in without actually reading the thread first?

bottom line, you don’t need to worry about what’s in the loader, so don’t put hekate 6.0.1 on it. If you properly extract the entire .zip of hekate onto your sd card, the latest will always get loaded.

And every one of you who rely on “AIO” updaters, need to stop that crap, because you perpetuate your ignorance in doing so. RTFM and learn how to update and config your stuff manually. The release notes themselves tell you what was mentioned in the above posts, but you never read the notes, you just use your AIO crap. Or worse, you just grabbed the latest .zip without bothering to read the notes that were right in front of your face. The front page and config examples tells you how to configure every launch option, or even add quick launch buttons to other payloads (aside from manually launching whatever payload you want)… yet some posts in this thread suggest there are people without a clue about any of that.

SilverfalconLP

Trophies
XP
Country
If anyone help this im buy one of this fake rcmloader and workaround the bugs ,deleting all payload.bin and put payload forwarder to payload.bin on sdcard ,not more touch payloan.bin on rcmloader only need update payload on sdcard switch

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
If anyone help this im buy one of this fake rcmloader and workaround the bugs ,deleting all payload.bin and put payload forwarder to payload.bin on sdcard ,not more touch payloan.bin on rcmloader only need update payload on sdcard switch
Yes, this is exactly why on the past posts the advice is to use ArgonNX-SE is a bootloader c what can chainload any lther bootloader, yes like Hekate. But he difference is what you don update the payload on the RCMLOader never, you only need to update your SD card.

On the real life you can accomplish that with hekate. Because if you don't update the payload on the RCMLoader For Hekate but you upgrade the files on your SD card, Hekate automatically will reload the latest Hekate bin (SD:/bootloader/update.bin).

so if you like you can put a newer "hekate_ctcaer_X.X.X.bin" as payload.bin on your RCMLoader and leave un-updated and allow Hekate to manage the latest versions of payload. Or you can use ArgonNX-SE :D

Kallim

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tempers confirmed, the fake V5 RCM Loaders from Aliexpress CAN NOT inject Hekate 6.0.1 payload, however, can inject Hekate 6.0.0.

IS NOT A HEKATE's issue is the broken firmware. My V1 (Plastic box) works just fine with Hekate 6.0.1 payload.

that is why I do recommend to use ArgonNX-SE on the fake ones.
The one I've got doesn't even allow you to see the flash memory. It simply injects Hekate 5.8.... it's not a problem because Hekate now has the latest version sorted in the bootloader folder update.bin.

If you use the wrong version it automatically uses the update.bin. So in theory any RCM loader can launch the latest version of Hekate regardless of the firmware of if the RCM loader is compatible with the new payload.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... one of you with a v5 or whatever (any of the ones that is either currently, or WAS broken with 6.0.1)... I have 2 questions for you.

1) What is the reported capacity of your drive in Windows explorer?
2) Are you able to create a raw image of it with Win32DiskImager (Image Writer)?

Someone bugging the Hekate github apparently has one with 712kb capacity. I told him (assuming gender) to just leave 6.0.0 on it and leave it alone, but then he was told to format to fat16 with a 512b cluster. When all tools tried decided to use fat12, this person was confused about it and asked yet again how to force it to use fat12. Without thinking, I mentioned sdformatter. This appears to have bricked his dongle.

Apparently, using sdformatter actually partitions while formatting, applying an MBR in the process, when these things rely on SFD partitions. I have no idea how to specifically apply an SFD partition, but I do know I've been able to un-brick several sd-dependent devices by reflashing an sd with an image made from a known working one, in the not-so-distant past.

I've already tested my own, and confirm that it will not brick (at least an official v1 or v1.2.... whichever mine is).
I created an image, verified the image against the device, deleted the files off of my dongle, wrote the image back, then launched CFW with it (hekate 6.0.1, ATM 1.4.0 on 15.0.1). My image won't do this guy any good, because mine is the original (or original-ish) and has 2MB capacity. Need an image of one of these 712k jobs (if they exist and his wasn't simply defective).

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What a wild ride this thread has been.
We’ve laughed, we’ve cried, we’ve screamed at each other, we hugged it out. Now it’s starting to loop back on itself in a nested for-loop. What else could you want in a dysfunctional family?

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
A month or so ago, I bought a fake RCMLoader and, luckily, managed to get a refund once I confirmed it was a clone. The other day I found a person selling their original RCMLoader for $15. It comes without original box and cable, only jig is included with it.

With Rekado and TegraRcmGUI being much more convenient to use nowadays, Is it worth buying an original RCMLoader or not, even if it's just for a... piece of Switch hacking history, I guess?

Kallim

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A month or so ago, I bought a fake RCMLoader and, luckily, managed to get a refund once I confirmed it was a clone. The other day I found a person selling their original RCMLoader for $15. It comes without original box and cable, only jig is included with it.

With Rekado and TegraRcmGUI being much more convenient to use nowadays, Is it worth buying an original RCMLoader or not, even if it's just for a... piece of Switch hacking history, I guess?
Was it one of the ones that only lets you boot Hekate? It's not really a huge problem of you get a fake. You can boot any payload in Hekate anyway.

I'd still prefer an original. But suppose your caught away from home.... The fake could still be a life saver. The cheapest I've seen in the UK seems to be from onbuy for about £12 they have different sellers so there's no guarantee they will always be "real".

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have 3 genuine RCMLoader OneB (2 spares, and the one I actually use). I ordered them from aliexpress several years ago. I wasn't aware the original one was out of production. I also have another dongle called NS Atmosphere. It's like a white USB stick. It can only hold one payload and it has an On/Off switch.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 3 genuine RCMLoader OneB (2 spares, and the one I actually use). I ordered them from aliexpress several years ago. I wasn't aware the original one was out of production. I also have another dongle called NS Atmosphere. It's like a white USB stick. It can only hold one payload and it has an On/Off switch.

Yea they are no longer in production of the legit one, all the one out there now coming out Aliexpress now is all clone.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So, @Dust2dust.…when you die, can I have your ns-atmosphere? :-D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1