Fan-made Breath of the Wild mod "Second Wind" shows off overhauled Shrine challenges in new trailer

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2, as it's tentatively being called, won't be out for a while yet. While you endure the excruciating wait for that game, you might be able to fill your Breath of the Wild cravings with a modpack for the first game. As described by the team (which has over 50 contributors working on it) behind the project, Second Wind is a "large scale expansion", acting as a fan-made DLC that adds upon Breath of the Wild, and even makes some QoL and bugfix improvements.

Second Wind contains two chapters: The Ancient Trials and The Ancient Island and offers a wealth of content, including 2 main quests, 20 side quests, new animals, enemies, bosses, weapons, shields, and more, as well as major changes to the game's Shrines. So far, only the first chapter, The Ancient Trials, has been released, which contains all of the aforementioned massive amounts of changes.

The project is currently available in beta form, for both the Wii U and Switch versions of the game, playable on Yuzu, Ryujinx, or Cemu emulators. The latest release is at v1.9.11a, and was released in January of this year. A new trailer was shown off by the team just recently, featuring some of the changes that have been made to the Shrine trials.

Both a Wiki and Discord channel for Second Wind are available, which detail the full list of changes, additions, and improvements within the modpack, as well as instructions as to how to install it for your preferred platform.

:arrow: Source

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2, as it's tentatively being called, won't be out for a while yet.
Chary, may I remind you of the latest Hyrule Warriors game? I think that is our BotW 2. Not that I don't think Nintendo may be making another dedicated LoZ game, but that title I mentioned was considered part of the series.

Even Nintendo is getting it wrong if they consider the Hyrule Warriors title as part of the story and then call the next game "Breath of the Wild 2" - should be "Breath of the Wild 3" actually.

jnl1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I could install it with BCML on my switch and the title screen is also different now ("second wind" subtitle) but all the new quests have only blank text??

Fyrus

Artilleur Carmin
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Chary, may I remind you of the latest Hyrule Warriors game? I think that is our BotW 2. Not that I don't think Nintendo may be making another dedicated LoZ game, but that title I mentioned was considered part of the series.

Even Nintendo is getting it wrong if they consider the Hyrule Warriors title as part of the story and then call the next game "Breath of the Wild 2" - should be "Breath of the Wild 3" actually.

As far as I remember, they never considered Age of Calamity part of the main BotW timeline

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The huge thing that made BoTW popular is that it is basically Zelda 1's philosophy but in a modern game, it doesn't hold your hand just like almost every other open world game.
If I could pop in now, I just want to say that Zelda 1 didn't have stamina or fragility, nor did it have abject sexism or gear-stripping challenges; as a result, BotW doesn't truly have Zelda 1's philosophy. Indeed, stamina and fragility are nothing but artificial limitations forced onto the player; removing those aspects wouldn't change how the Divine Beasts are designed, or the shrines, or basic combat. No, removing those millstones would just grant the player even greater "freedom".

Also, one aspect that really should be fixed is how you cannot max out both Hearts and Stamina in the original game, even with the bonus Orb granted through DLC; you're juuuust short of enough Orbs to do so.

If you strip the game off its challenges, very little stays to play for. I'm not saying I liked this mod nor hate it but if you feel you want something specific then do it yourself.
Alternatively, cheats can give you what you want.
Limited stamina and equipment fragility aren't "challenges"; they're artificial limitations. The game itself would still play perfectly fine without them.
Also Gerudo Village banning all men isn't a "challenge", it's bullshit sexism that I'm appalled to see so explicitly.

Reactions: RichardTheKing

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
As far as I remember, they never considered Age of Calamity part of the main BotW timeline
Yeah, from what I understand it's an alternate timeline, where the BotW Guardians - the new ones - went back in time and helped the good guys win against Ganon, thereby preventing the events of BotW.
That doesn't sound like a "sequel" to me.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So...it gets rid of the obnoxious stamina and weapon/shield fragility mechanics, then? It shows you where each and every Korok Seed is, then? It removes the blatant misandry present in Gerudo Village, then? It makes resources far more plentiful, then? It allows you to maximise both Hearts and stamina, if the latter wasn't removed like it should be? It gets rid of Eventide Island and the Master Sword Trials' stripping of everything you've collected, then?

Those would all be massive QoL improvements, is why I ask.
gerudo village should have misandry, it's built into their culture
a negative trait doesn't make a fictional faction bad

oh, and as for eventide island and the master sword trials, may i say... get good?

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
gerudo village should have misandry, it's built into their culture
a negative trait doesn't make a fictional faction bad

oh, and as for eventide island and the master sword trials, may i say... get good?
The Gerudo have been described to not trust men in the past, but it was never as blatant as it is here - in Ocarina of Time, you did have to sneak through to free four carpenters, but after doing so (and defeating four 'elite guards' in the process) the chieftess gave you a pass to enter freely. They also didn't allow any outsiders in whatsoever, posting guards at the other end of a bridge.
In Majora's Mask, the Gerudo were just pirates, so not allowing outsiders made sense.

Here, in BotW? They explicitly let outsiders in this time - if they're female. Males, including Link, are never allowed in - even when the goddamn chieftess knows Link's a guy, he never gets a pass or anything.

Also, if misandry is allowed to be part of a fictional society's culture, then that by definition makes it acceptable for a fictional society to have misogyny as part of their culture - if misandry is acceptable to show, misogyny is too.
If you don't like misogyny, then to not be an utter hypocrite one has to dislike misandry as well.

Reactions: Ligeia

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Gerudo have been described to not trust men in the past, but it was never as blatant as it is here - in Ocarina of Time, you did have to sneak through to free four carpenters, but after doing so (and defeating four 'elite guards' in the process) the chieftess gave you a pass to enter freely. They also didn't allow any outsiders in whatsoever, posting guards at the other end of a bridge.
In Majora's Mask, the Gerudo were just pirates, so not allowing outsiders made sense.

Here, in BotW? They explicitly let outsiders in this time - if they're female. Males, including Link, are never allowed in - even when the goddamn chieftess knows Link's a guy, he never gets a pass or anything.

Also, if misandry is allowed to be part of a fictional society's culture, then that by definition makes it acceptable for a fictional society to have misogyny as part of their culture - if misandry is acceptable to show, misogyny is too.
If you don't like misogyny, then to not be an utter hypocrite one has to dislike misandry as well.
Ah yes, fiction, where misogynistic cultures don't exist...
You are deluded.

Reactions: invader_quirk

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If I could pop in now, I just want to say that Zelda 1 didn't have stamina or fragility, nor did it have abject sexism or gear-stripping challenges; as a result, BotW doesn't truly have Zelda 1's philosophy. Indeed, stamina and fragility are nothing but artificial limitations forced onto the player; removing those aspects wouldn't change how the Divine Beasts are designed, or the shrines, or basic combat. No, removing those millstones would just grant the player even greater "freedom".

Also, one aspect that really should be fixed is how you cannot max out both Hearts and Stamina in the original game, even with the bonus Orb granted through DLC; you're juuuust short of enough Orbs to do so.

Limited stamina and equipment fragility aren't "challenges"; they're artificial limitations. The game itself would still play perfectly fine without them.
Also Gerudo Village banning all men isn't a "challenge", it's bullshit sexism that I'm appalled to see so explicitly.
That's not what I'm talking about tho. I'm talking about how you just pop on the map with a single objective (well, in BoTW you have a better idea of what to do and where to go tho, but the point is still the same) and basically walk around and have fun with the world just like I did when I played Zelda Classic tho I couldn't understand anything of what I was supposed to do (but I was very very young, I would just walk and kill octoroks and tektites and stuff), and BoTW was the first game that was available to give me this feeling because even tho I had a yellow point I could follow, I had no GPS to follow, there was no obvious path since I was absolutely in the wild, I could hunt, chop wood and stuff, I would walk and follow the yellow point but a guardian was walking and patrolling and yeah, basically felt free, and that's a feeling that works besides the fact that weapons break, or that you can't sprint indefinitely because of stamina. I mean I don't have to have unbreakable weapons and infinite stamina to feel free, that's not really how a game succeed in giving freedom to a player.

I don't see stamina or fragillity as « artificial limitations » tbh but just features that are done poorly. The goal is for you to use different weapons but they break too quickly and since you can't repair them you have a tendency to think that using your best weapons would be a waste so you just keep them and never use them. That's counter intuitive. I think it would be fixed by having weapons being way more solid overall, having a way to repair them out of combat (I can see something like craft a millstone to have it regain 100% durability, just like you craft a fire) and having a way to enhance weapons so they won't break (and a way to store stuff, in Link's house for example, I bet some would like to farm and enhance every weapon possible), even if it means that you'll have to loose a few attack points, would be a fair trade imho. That way you could come prepared and rely on your weapons, and still keep the original game design view of « grabbing anything you can to fight monsters around »

Gerudo always had resent for men, I don't really get why there are suddenly so many people talking about sexism when they were there since Ocarina of Time and their resent for men was really obvious.
I obviously can see how some could think that's offensive tho. I don't really view myself as a men's rights advocate, but I'm very aware of these issues and I take this very seriously, and I don't really know why I never had any problem with the Gerudos. That's fictionnal so I don't really care and that puts them apart, that's a way to have a fictional kind of people who would put themselves far away, filled with mystery and stuff, and they still have to travel to find a man to get married so that's kinda « funny » to see how they really don't want men near their city but someday they have to get out and confront them. Sure that could appear as sexist, but I don't see it as an ill-intent to harm men so I don't have a huge issue with that, but I'm opened to other views of the thing. I think I don't take offense in that because I knew gerudos waaaaay before I even heard about men's rights and stuff.

But you point out something interesting, it's fine for a fictional society to be misandrist, but not for it to be misoginist, and that's something I agree with. I think fictional societies should be allowed to be misoginists tbh, it's fictional and as long as it is done well, with an intent of writing something, idk, then I don't have any issue with that tbh.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
That's not what I'm talking about tho. I'm talking about how you just pop on the map with a single objective (well, in BoTW you have a better idea of what to do and where to go tho, but the point is still the same) and basically walk around and have fun with the world just like I did when I played Zelda Classic tho I couldn't understand anything of what I was supposed to do (but I was very very young, I would just walk and kill octoroks and tektites and stuff), and BoTW was the first game that was available to give me this feeling because even tho I had a yellow point I could follow, I had no GPS to follow, there was no obvious path since I was absolutely in the wild, I could hunt, chop wood and stuff, I would walk and follow the yellow point but a guardian was walking and patrolling and yeah, basically felt free, and that's a feeling that works besides the fact that weapons break, or that you can't sprint indefinitely because of stamina. I mean I don't have to have unbreakable weapons and infinite stamina to feel free, that's not really how a game succeed in giving freedom to a player.

I don't see stamina or fragillity as « artificial limitations » tbh but just features that are done poorly. The goal is for you to use different weapons but they break too quickly and since you can't repair them you have a tendency to think that using your best weapons would be a waste so you just keep them and never use them. That's counter intuitive. I think it would be fixed by having weapons being way more solid overall, having a way to repair them out of combat (I can see something like craft a millstone to have it regain 100% durability, just like you craft a fire) and having a way to enhance weapons so they won't break (and a way to store stuff, in Link's house for example, I bet some would like to farm and enhance every weapon possible), even if it means that you'll have to loose a few attack points, would be a fair trade imho. That way you could come prepared and rely on your weapons, and still keep the original game design view of « grabbing anything you can to fight monsters around »

Gerudo always had resent for men, I don't really get why there are suddenly so many people talking about sexism when they were there since Ocarina of Time and their resent for men was really obvious.
I obviously can see how some could think that's offensive tho. I don't really view myself as a men's rights advocate, but I'm very aware of these issues and I take this very seriously, and I don't really know why I never had any problem with the Gerudos. That's fictionnal so I don't really care and that puts them apart, that's a way to have a fictional kind of people who would put themselves far away, filled with mystery and stuff, and they still have to travel to find a man to get married so that's kinda « funny » to see how they really don't want men near their city but someday they have to get out and confront them. Sure that could appear as sexist, but I don't see it as an ill-intent to harm men so I don't have a huge issue with that, but I'm opened to other views of the thing. I think I don't take offense in that because I knew gerudos waaaaay before I even heard about men's rights and stuff.

But you point out something interesting, it's fine for a fictional society to be misandrist, but not for it to be misoginist, and that's something I agree with. I think fictional societies should be allowed to be misoginists tbh, it's fictional and as long as it is done well, with an intent of writing something, idk, then I don't have any issue with that tbh.
Personally, I found the utter lack of map markers or direction to be quite off-putting, since it means I'm lost in a big, empty world; I like to have some direction, and not just left to my own devices (which is part of why Minecraft holds no appeal for me, alongside that stupid 1.9 combat downgrade - when Bedrock Edition still has the old combat system! So Mojang knows they screwed up!).
I get incredibly bored just wandering around large open maps with no idea where to go or what to do, and since BotW has no map markers, I had to look up an online map - which means the game has failed to entice me.
Zelda 1 can be somewhat excused for this, since games were much simpler back then and cartridges had limited storage space, but even that game could've had an actual map screen - especially in Virtual Console releases and the like.

Sure, the game doesn't need an overwhelming number of markers like Ubisoft's games do, but having some direction would be great, thanks, and wouldn't harm my sense of "freedom" since I could just choose where to head to first.

As for the Gerudo, I defer to @RichardTheKing's point that no previous Gerudo depiction was anywhere near as bad as this. I mean, they only ever trust females, while never trusting males - even when one of them has directly saved their godawful civilisation and has gained the favour of the chieftess! Not even that is cause for an exception! Instead, Gerudo women are forced to leave their shitty village to get husbands, and if they return to the village, they're forced to leave their husbands behind; yeah, that's just real great there, splitting up families for such a repulsive reason.

In previous games, sure, they say they have an open disdain for men, but they never really show that since there's never any Hylian or Zora women in their fortresses, and OoT-Link is allowed to wander freely around that fortress after his initial stealth task.
MM-Link can't (not without the Stone Mask), and they do heavily injure that Zora before you arrive, but I don't think the word "Gerudo" is ever said in Majora's Mask...they're just a band of female pirates, so it's not quite the same. It's not a civilisation of people, just a pirate band.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
But those are some of the funnest parts of the game?
The most frustrating, since they temporarily remove EVERYTHING you've worked so hard to obtain, leaving you completely naked and defenseless against plenty of enemies - even Hinoxes. Oh, and there's also lightning, which deals a lot of damage, and since there's very few sources of healing...
That's not fun; that's aggravating, and damn-near impossible to conquer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: WHAT PEOPLE BUY FOOD