Fan-made Breath of the Wild mod "Second Wind" shows off overhauled Shrine challenges in new trailer

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2, as it's tentatively being called, won't be out for a while yet. While you endure the excruciating wait for that game, you might be able to fill your Breath of the Wild cravings with a modpack for the first game. As described by the team (which has over 50 contributors working on it) behind the project, Second Wind is a "large scale expansion", acting as a fan-made DLC that adds upon Breath of the Wild, and even makes some QoL and bugfix improvements.

Second Wind contains two chapters: The Ancient Trials and The Ancient Island and offers a wealth of content, including 2 main quests, 20 side quests, new animals, enemies, bosses, weapons, shields, and more, as well as major changes to the game's Shrines. So far, only the first chapter, The Ancient Trials, has been released, which contains all of the aforementioned massive amounts of changes.

The project is currently available in beta form, for both the Wii U and Switch versions of the game, playable on Yuzu, Ryujinx, or Cemu emulators. The latest release is at v1.9.11a, and was released in January of this year. A new trailer was shown off by the team just recently, featuring some of the changes that have been made to the Shrine trials.

Both a Wiki and Discord channel for Second Wind are available, which detail the full list of changes, additions, and improvements within the modpack, as well as instructions as to how to install it for your preferred platform.

:arrow: Source

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tell that to Nintendo. It's BOTW. They will do everything to protect it.
Not even that, just any hardcore Nintendo property will meet the same fate. They simply do not fuck around when their IP's are being messed with.

Hell, even Rockstar did this with some GTA modders, which is insane to say the least.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tell that to Nintendo. It's BOTW. They will do everything to protect it.
Switch games including Breath of the Wild have had vibrant modding scenes for years now. Nothing- not even the Pokemon mods- has ever seen an issue thus far. Obviously that doesn't necessarily mean they won't, but Second Wind has gone out of its way to not have Nintendo assets on the website for download.

Obviously, it is Nintendo, but they've had to resort to alternative methods to shut down mods before, like pressuring FGC tournies to not run Project M. They didn't strike down Project M.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Switch games including Breath of the Wild have had vibrant modding scenes for years now. Nothing- not even the Pokemon mods- has ever seen an issue thus far. Obviously that doesn't necessarily mean they won't, but Second Wind has gone out of its way to not have Nintendo assets on the website for download.

Obviously, it is Nintendo, but they've had to resort to alternative methods to shut down mods before, like pressuring FGC tournies to not run Project M. They didn't strike down Project M.
Hopefully they won't do anything against it then!

Reactions: Darth Meteos

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The most frustrating, since they temporarily remove EVERYTHING you've worked so hard to obtain, leaving you completely naked and defenseless against plenty of enemies - even Hinoxes. Oh, and there's also lightning, which deals a lot of damage, and since there's very few sources of healing...
That's not fun; that's aggravating, and damn-near impossible to conquer.
So, the beginning segment of Breath of the Wild is really cool. You find yourself in a situation where you have to use your skill and your brain to make your way around the various challenges of the Great Plateau before you're able to get anything that will ease your journey. This is probably the best part of Breath of the Wild, insofar as the game itself is teaching you the mechanics through gameplay, not necessarily through active, slow tutorials.

One of the things that really doesn't work in Breath of the Wild is the way the endgame is extremely unbalanced in your favor. You become a worldbeater after a while, and it's unlikely anything can stop you. You can casually take out some of the toughest encounters, and even if you get taken by surprise, you can probably rally and overcome the odds without too much difficulty. But in the background- passively increasing- is your skill level. How good you are at the mechanics, how effective you are outside of the gear that you've gotten and the food that you eat... That lies hidden behind a Royal Claymore-sized wall.

Eventide and the Master Sword Trials put that skill to the test. All the stuff you've acquired is gone, and it's just you. But you're not the same Link that woke up on the Great Plateau. You probably have far more hearts and stamina, for one. But aside from the actual gameplay itself, you're better now. Eventide is decidedly not an early-game area that should be tackled without gear. But it generates some of the most rewarding gameplay sections, because you find yourself alone and overwhelmed without your stuff to bail you out, it's just you and the things you've learned. If you taught yourself the game mechanics, like perfect dodge/parry, and studied your enemies' movements and attack patterns, you might be able to defeat Eventide easier than you'd expect. And you have your runes- Stasis lets you stop an enemy from moving, bombs to attack or trap enemies with, Cryonis to make cover in water and get the ever-valuable bullet time arrow firing, Magnesis to save your weapons and batter enemies with their own camps.

If you think Eventide is "damn-near impossible," you genuinely just need to get better at the video game.

What kind of no life people who have time to make this for free?
That's a lot of disrespect in one sentence. You wanna re-word that, chief?

Reactions: invader_quirk

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finished everything in BotW except for the Korok seeds and I generally enjoyed the game, but I still think it's an absolutely broken mess.

It seems people have already forgotten about all of the things that were stripped out of the game for the sole purpose of keeping the Wii U version from being better than the Switch version. It could have been better, they literally already programmed in the things that would have made it better, and then they unceremoniously fucked it just so people wouldn't recommend the Wii U version over the Switch one. There's no defending that. They made a conscious decision to strip out some of the core features the game was designed around.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I finished everything in BotW except for the Korok seeds and I generally enjoyed the game, but I still think it's an absolutely broken mess.

It seems people have already forgotten about all of the things that were stripped out of the game for the sole purpose of keeping the Wii U version from being better than the Switch version. It could have been better, they literally already programmed in the things that would have made it better, and then they unceremoniously fucked it just so people wouldn't recommend the Wii U version over the Switch one. There's no defending that. They made a conscious decision to strip out some of the core features the game was designed around.
Could you please give examples of those "core features" you mentioned?

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you please give examples of those "core features" you mentioned?
Most notably having the inventory on the gamepad while you play on the TV so you don't have to keep flipping back and forth between the menu and gameplay screen every 12 seconds. They could have rebalanced weapon durability and the frequency of using certain items to compensate for this, but nah.

Reactions: RichardTheKing

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Most notably having the inventory on the gamepad while you play on the TV so you don't have to keep flipping back and forth between the menu and gameplay screen every 12 seconds. They could have rebalanced weapon durability and the frequency of using certain items to compensate for this, but nah.
So like they did for Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker HD...good point there.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's probably a stupid question, but does a NSP file exist for this mod ? I'd like to try it but am not willing to go through the hassle of following the github tutorial (I know nothing about this BCML stuff and I don't love BotW enough to be willing to learn). I gather the answer is no, but thought I could still try my luck.

jnl1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's probably a stupid question, but does a NSP file exist for this mod ? I'd like to try it but am not willing to go through the hassle of following the github tutorial (I know nothing about this BCML stuff and I don't love BotW enough to be willing to learn). I gather the answer is no, but thought I could still try my luck.
I have the files ready to be copied into atmosphere/contents.
For the German BOTW, mod version is 1.9.11.b

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k