• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Federal appeals court expands gun rights

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
So just because you brought out some time stats, everything else, such as alertness, cisrumstance, environmental factors are out the window. THIS is what I mean about trying to carry a discussion with an american. You people are the most ignorant people on earth (not even arguably) but you do it in such a manner that makes it obvious you're entirely convinced you're not just right but righteous and you will never entertain the thought someone else might not be wrong (right being a far notion). Its the very essence of ignorance. No wonder you're hated the world over.

You nailed it. It's fruitless to discuss with far-right Republicans (or conservatives in general). They sincerely believe they are the "good guys", and that the nebulous "left" is evil (when they're ignorant of what the left even is. The Democratic Party is a mixed/big-tent party, not a formally leftist party.)

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does that have to do with anything? I was using that as an analogy that you can take something legal and make something illegal. Do you understand english? Do you understand analogies?

or do you expect everyone to just agree with you or shit post until they get bored?
The Constitution is what all of our laws are supposed to be based from.
They are playing the long game. You don't buy a gun unless you want to shoot it.
All those 10's of millions of dumb hillbillies are playing the long game. Sure, Jan.

I don't buy health insurance because I want to use it. I buy it just in case I have to use it.
The proof is, countries without guns. Of course you'll hand waive those away because it doesn't meet your reptard views.
If it's violence you are trying to stop, then why do you want to confiscate weapons from law abiding citizens? The only people who want to confiscate weapons from law abiding people are authoritarians like fascists and communists.
Post automatically merged:

You nailed it. It's fruitless to discuss with far-right Republicans (or conservatives in general). They sincerely believe they are the "good guys", and that the nebulous "left" is evil (when they're ignorant of what the left even is. The Democratic Party is a mixed/big-tent party, not a formally leftist party.)
There are not enough leftists in the US to win statewide elections, so they have to fake being a mixed/big-tent party. It doesn't matter because Republicans like Mitt Romney and Mitch McConnell will give the Dems the votes when they really need them.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And yet it can be changed.
Of course it can be changed. Did you not know that's how the Founders designed it? You did know that, right?

It has to be changed before gun control laws can be enacted. Yet, for some reason, the left, who I am told, are a majority in this country, refuses to change or repeal the 2nd Amendment. That is so gosh darn weird, ain't it?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Of course it can be changed. Did you not know that's how the Founders designed it? You did know that, right?

It has to be changed before gun control laws can be enacted. Yet, for some reason, the left, who I am told, are a majority in this country, refuses to change or repeal the 2nd Amendment. That is so gosh darn weird, ain't it?
You always talk about it as if it's immutable and all powerful.

Did nobody tell you that the republicans currently control the house of representatives?

There is no accounting for dumb muricans.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You always talk about it as if it's immutable and all powerful.
Sure don't. That's just what you imagine. Your feelings betray you.
Did nobody tell you that the republicans currently control the house of representatives?
So what? Who controlled both chambers since 2018? Who controlled both chambers from 2006 till 2010? Who controlled both chambers for the majority of the 20th century? Oh, that would be the Dems. You've had decades of opportunities to repeal the 2nd Amendment. It's almost like the left really are not the majority they believe they are. Hmmm....
There is no accounting for dumb muricans.
Don't call us when a fascist or communist authoritarian is on your doorstep. Would be a shame if dumb muricans had to come save your asses again.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sure don't. That's just what you imagine. Your feelings betray you.
I'm not imagining your posts.

The whole "They are trying to make legal gun ownership illegal" argument is from the point of view that you don't believe it can be changed. Either you are gas lighting, or you don't understand your own argument.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not imagining your posts.

The whole "They are trying to make legal gun ownership illegal" argument is from the point of view that you don't believe it can be changed. Either you are gas lighting, or you don't understand your own argument.
The amendment has to be changed first before Congress can pass a law making gun ownership illegal. This is not a hard concept to understand, even for a braindead NPC. There are resources online that will explain this in a way that even a Brit can understand.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The amendment has to be changed first before Congress can pass a law making gun ownership illegal. This is not a hard concept to understand, even for a braindead NPC. There are resources online that will explain this in a way that even a Brit can understand.
To make them completely illegal then yes they could change the constitution.

Obviously they can prevent certain people from having guns without changing the constitution, otherwise everyone would be allowed to carry guns in prisons and schools.

You seem to think you're making a point, but it appears like you're throwing a tantrum.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To make them completely illegal then yes they could change the constitution.
To make them partially illegal, the Constitution would need to be changed.
Obviously they can prevent certain people from having guns without changing the constitution, otherwise everyone would be allowed to carry guns in prisons and schools.
We used to bring rifles to school and never had school shootings.
You seem to think you're making a point, but it appears like you're throwing a tantrum.
You seem to be confused about the meaning of "shall not be infringed". Which one of those words are tripping you up? I can walk you through it because I'm totally throwing a tantrum.

Reactions: Hanafuda

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think pretty much anyone under 40 now can't even conceive of this, or the world that existed not long ago. At my high school, at least half the vehicles in the student lot were old pickup trucks, and probably 100% of them had a gun rack in the back window. And if there was an active hunting season in effect (squirrel, quail, and rabbit all through the fall, several different weeklong 'seasons' for deer, turkeys in the spring, etc) many of those gun racks would be holding a rifle or shotgun or two. Lots of guns, in plain sight, in vehicles parked all day long right outside the school building.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Battle Royale is the desired outcome.

Is it possible to survive a without shooting a gun?

Or do I just need a nice skin?

While things get distorted in liquid vision, I would like to state that even if you don't want a gun, you shouldn't be requiring others of getting rid of their guns. If you are afraid of people randomly shooting up schools, it's because you either don't trust your own capacity to be non-violent while owning a gun or you don't trust schools. Neither of those are gun issues.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The question is then, what have you been doing to the school children to make them so angry?

Though, it seems like the US has always had school shootings....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States_(before_2000)

You seem to be confused about the meaning of "shall not be infringed". Which one of those words are tripping you up? I can walk you through it because I'm totally throwing a tantrum.
Where is your "well regulated militia" in all of this? Forget about that?

Last edited by smf,

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
To make them partially illegal, the Constitution would need to be changed.
Guns are already partially illegal in the US. You can't legally purchase fully automatic weapons or armor piercing rounds (which you would need if you planned on defending against a government takeover)
If you're actually as old as you say, you would have graduated around the time of columbine. so.. yes you did. That's why you cant take guns to school now.
Why don't you start from the beginning with "A well regulated militia.."

Reactions: Xzi

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guns are already partially illegal in the US. You can't legally purchase fully automatic weapons or armor piercing rounds

You can buy a full auto firearm, but it requires a Class III tax stamp, which means $200 for the stamp and a long wait while the ATF processes the application. Once approved, you'll also need a whole lot of money because there's a limited supply of such weapons on the market. I think low end starts at about 10 - 15 thousand dollars.

But full auto is not "banned." The Congress in 1934 knew they couldn't just flat-out ban guns the public already had access to, so instead they imposed a tax. And it's probably an unconstitutional tax, but SCOTUS so far has never granted cert to a case challenging the validity of the 1934 NFA.

The ban on "armor piercing" as defined in the statute applies only to handguns, though that is a little fuzzy since there are some handgun versions of firearms that are usually sold as rifles. So it's a kinda-sorta thing. But the reality is, any rifle ammo that is suitable for deer hunting would also easily pierce ballistic armor.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/usa-rus...r-bringing-home-a-junkie.623007/post-10028163

Last edited by Hanafuda,

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The question is then, what have you been doing to the school children to make them so angry?
Doctors giving kids SSRI's for "ADHD". Every single mass shooter has been on anti-psychotic medications.
You gonna really count this as a school shooting? Can you say, desperation?

1676519160232.png
Where is your "well regulated militia" in all of this? Forget about that?
The well regulated militia is to the left of the comma. Go ask your English teacher about the use of commas, especially in the late 18th century.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doctors giving kids SSRI's for "ADHD". Every single mass shooter has been on anti-psychotic medications.

You gonna really count this as a school shooting? Can you say, desperation?

View attachment 353572

The well regulated militia is to the left of the comma. Go ask your English teacher about the use of commas, especially in the late 18th century.
SSRIs are a treatment for depression, no pediatrician will prescribe them for ADHD

For that kids get amphetamine salts

Reactions: TraderPatTX

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guns are already partially illegal in the US. You can't legally purchase fully automatic weapons or armor piercing rounds (which you would need if you planned on defending against a government takeover)
You can definitely purchase fully automatic weapons.

https://rocketffl.com/who-can-own-a-full-auto-machine-gun/
If you're actually as old as you say, you would have graduated around the time of columbine. so.. yes you did. That's why you cant take guns to school now.
Columbine happened a few years after I graduated.
Just like I told smf, learn and understand the usage of commas. They are very important.

SSRIs are a treatment for depression, no pediatrician will prescribe them for ADHD

For that kids get amphetamine salts
You are right. It doesn't really change my argument though. It's a bad idea to put kids on anti-psychotic medications as their brains are still developing. These drugs are just kickbacks for doctors to make money from Big Pharma.

Reactions: x65943

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just like I told smf, learn and understand the usage of commas. They are very important.

You are right. It doesn't really change my argument though. It's a bad idea to put kids on anti-psychotic medications as their brains are still developing. These drugs are just kickbacks for doctors to make money from Big Pharma.
Docs don't make kick backs from those drugs anymore, but it's more of a bandaid on a bigger societal issue of medicating behavior

Kid comes in, not behaving in school, bam medication

Issue is non pharmacological interventions require way more resources so people end up on drugs

You know cognitive behavioral therapy is deemed just as effective as SSRI for depression? Guess how often I have seen a patient do CBT for depression - zero times - the services just aren't available and often insurance won't cover therapy -- but they are more than happy to cover drugs

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

It doesnt matter if you have a federal license, theyre banned on a state level. you have to be military personnel, have ownership in some other government capacity, or be a dealer with specialized licensing. read a little further down in the article you linked.
ok.. thats why you cant have guns in school anymore..
as i said in another thread, yes, they are important. but you have to actually know what they mean and do.
Not to mention, that's not a period between "..free state" and "the right of..." That's a comma.
By the rules of English..

"A comma indicates a pause between the ending of an introductory word, phrase, or clause, and the beginning of the main part of the sentence. The most common introductory word groups are clauses or phrases which function as adverbs, telling how, why, when, where, or under what conditions something happened.

furthermore, to join two independent clauses you need a conjunction (and, or, but, because, for, if, and when). Which this does not have. These are not independent clauses.

So in other words: "The right to bear arms, in a well regulated militia, for the securty of the state (not ohio), shall not be infringed."

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyhe5d1WED8