Review Fire Emblem: Awakening Review

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, I finally managed to complete Fire Emblem Awakening for the Nintendo 3DS. I might as well share some thoughts on this game, which to me is the best title on the Nintendo 3DS to date.

Story

The story follows the prince Chrom from the Halidom of Ylisse, who finds the protagonist in a field, unconscious. The protagonist turns out to be an amnesiac, to the group's dismay. Introduced to Chrom's sister and his knight, the group is alarmed to find that a village is being attacked, and the protagonist of course will follow. What comes after is an epic adventure of timeline skips, and of course, big dragons.

Gameplay

The gameplay has not changed dramatically from other Fire Emblem revisions. Depending on the game mode you are playing, if you lose your character in battle, they could wind up gone forever. Certain units will become staples to the party, while others will never see the light of battle. Equipping the right weapons can often turn the tide of battle significantly in your favor.

For the most part, the story is played out on a world map, with the player rushing to each new destination for a new battle. The world map has shop vendors which sell rare equipment, and skirmishes to hone the skills of the party. When playing the battles themselves, the map is given a top-down view, and players will select each unit to move across the map to engage enemies. Terrain will become a valuable ally within the later difficulties.

Visuals and Music

The quality of the CGI cutscenes is beautifully done, and flows well with the visuals of the game. The game in general has a very polished look, with a well thought out user interface that leaves little confusion to the player. Combined with the 3D effects, the cutscenes are beautiful to watch and appealing to the eye. Every aspect that was designed will leave the user wanting more and more. The game really did need more cutscenes though. That is the only criticism that I could come up with at this point, and it's rather weak, honestly.

The game's orchestrated soundtrack is an additional benefit, and the music is fitting for each occasion; mellow for the emotional moments, and grand for the intense boss battles.

Replayability

The many DLC missions in the game will be plenty to keep the user busy. Often, the DLC missions will become the sole method to grind out levels, especially in the Lunatic difficulties. Four difficulties will ensure that even the beginner will have a fun experience, although the highest difficulty, Lunatic+, can crush even the most hardened Fire Emblem veteran.

hint_luna.jpg

If you choose to engage yourself in the game, best of luck! The game is challenging on the later difficulties, but it is definitely doable. I recall almost shitting bricks with the Lunatic+ mode. It's a worthwhile purchase for any die-hard Fire Emblem fan, though, and in my opinion, the best game on the 3DS to date.

Pros and Cons

Pros
-Appeals to a wide audience
-Non-permanent death for newcomers!
-Excellent Visuals
-An engaging story with unique characters

Cons
-Highest difficulty relies more on luck to succeed later on. Lots of resetting.
-No multiplayer arenas.
-Some DLC missions are overpowered, and may kill the difficulty later on.
-DLC can be expensive at times.

Would I Buy It?

Hell yes. The game is so deep and expansive, and in my opinion the best 3DS game to date. I found that it was very hard to become bored with the game. The soundtrack is top notch, and the visuals are stunning for a handheld game.

Score: 9.4/10

Conclusion

Easily the best game out for the 3DS, and a huge congratulations to Nintendo for a game well done. And by the way, your move Devin. :D

nashimid

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
I have always wanted to play a fire emblem because of smash bros but never got around to it. I downloaded the demo for this from the e-shop and it seems pretty good, though I've never really been into like the whole strategy, put this guy there, attack this guy type of gameplay so I never really wanted to buy. The story and everything seems awesome though, and I see that this is supposed to be an amazing game. Should I buy it? I just don't know about the whole tactic/strategy type of gameplay, I'm more of a legend of zelda guy when it comes to fighting, not just choose to attack this guy and that's it (even though I know there's more to it than that) Anyway is there anyone who has felt the same way about this and ended up loving it?

defunct32

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Indeed, I enjoy Awakening a lot and had many laughs out of it (i.e: that Falcon punch when she only wanted to slap the Prince), also my first game where characters can get married and I was actually invested in it. :D

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/35kbiqjnJog?si=1DEa1SDRiLUd3Bxi