Gaming Firmware Update Compilation thread / List of Flashcards working on 3DS

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
It never worked on a 3DS, but it always works on a retail DS.
I don't have a Dev 3DS, though, but I know 3DS Dev Cartridges don't work on Dev 3DS's neither, unless you boot them up from the DevMenu (at least, that's what SEGA told me and showed me, back at the Gamescom 2011).

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
OP
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
It never worked on a 3DS, but it always works on a retail DS.
I don't have a Dev 3DS, though, but I know 3DS Dev Cartridges don't work on Dev 3DS's neither, unless you boot them up from the DevMenu (at least, that's what SEGA told me and showed me, back at the Gamescom 2011).

strange
DS is understandable why it would boot

but ive been with nintendo employees
and when boot games like Luigis Mansion 2 builds they just inserted that card (but 3ds version)
and it shew up like a normal 3DS game in the Dev unit
i have seen some boot like you have said

id assume it would be something to do with the header and if it had been officially signed

i saw a pacman 3ds dev build that could only boot through dev menu so much be that 3rd partys have to go through dev menu but nintendo games can be signed normally so boot from main firmware

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
I know that, Nintendo has different kind of Cartridges at their offices.
Every time I'm invited to come over for a Nintendo's Post E3 Event, they have Dev Units with normal-sized Cartridges, which boot up normally, and show a Built Date on the 3DS Menu.

Pong20302000

OP
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
I know that, Nintendo has different kind of Cartridges at their offices.
Every time I'm invited to come over for a Nintendo's Post E3 Event, they have Dev Units with normal-sized Cartridges, which boot up normally, and show a Built Date on the 3DS Menu.

ive seen builds that are in the larger size carts that boot on devs from the menu
guess its just what ever was quickest method to get it out so testers or events

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Main changes from version 5.1.0-11U
Date Available: 04/04/2013
  • Resolves an issue that may prevent access to the System Settings or other features after a system update error.

Reactions: Pong20302000

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
>Says DSTwo and R4i 3DS Gold "rev C" are supported...

Which "Rev C" carts though? There are several hardware versions of "Rev C". I have one of those early "Rev C" carts that doesn't even have 4.5.0-10 support yet.

Pong20302000

OP
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
>Says DSTwo and R4i 3DS Gold "rev C" are supported...

Which "Rev C" carts though? There are several hardware versions of "Rev C". I have one of those early "Rev C" carts that doesn't even have 4.5.0-10 support yet.

yes but the site does state
No updated needed from 4.5.0-10
so your card has to have been compatible from that version

sadly i had heard nothing about the Metroid Bug update
though i believe Zhuzhuchina where doing and exchange for people at the cost of postage but that may have ended now

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Main changes from version 5.1.0-11U
Date Available: 04/04/2013
  • Resolves an issue that may prevent access to the System Settings or other features after a system update error.
Kind of ironic that they lauched a system update that fix a problem about system updates but that same system update might trigger a system update error. :P

Pong20302000

OP
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Kind of ironic that they lauched a system update that fix a problem about system updates but that same system update might trigger a system update error. :P

no this system update, fixes the system update, because the last system update caused and error with the system update, while the system was updating

did you know theres a secret key combo to get the the system update from boot so it doesnt go to the home menu :P

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
yes but the site does state
No updated needed from 4.5.0-10
so your card has to have been compatible from that version

sadly i had heard nothing about the Metroid Bug update
though i believe Zhuzhuchina where doing and exchange for people at the cost of postage but that may have ended now
Damn, looks like I'm out of luck... I'm still using the latest update from January... It supports DSi 1.4.5, but not 4.5.0-10 yet.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So is it pretty safe to say at this point that those few random Rev C r4ids.cn cards won't get an update?
I'd say so, based on pattern recognition that's held true for... almost everybody.

M3 did that one freak update after like a year of no activity, but I don't think it's enough to skew even a straight average.

Pong20302000

OP
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
4.5.0-10 was allowed on flashcards without a save IC due to they found a game that didnt require one
that has now been blocked, so now there is no games left without a save IC
so all the current cards now working on 5.0.0-11/5.1.0-11 have them, so if you got an old card, dont expect to see an update

pretty sure the Metroid Rev C bug is a strange one because the save IC is present, but i guess there was a fault with it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nintendo becomes responsible for 2024s virus