Further information about the upcoming Nintendo Switch "Mig Switch" flashcart has been revealed

mig.png

A few days after the monumental reveal of a work-in-progress flashcart being made for the Nintendo Switch, more information has been made available. The previously unnamed flashcart is set to be called "Mig Switch", and the initial Twitter user that unveiled the Mig Switch's existence, After Time X, managed to get in contact with the team behind it all. According to them, they were offered a review unit of the Mig Switch, but turned it down, as the After Time X team fears legal repercussions from dealing with "backup loader" hardware.

Another interesting tidbit is that existing dumps of Switch games will NOT be compatible with the Mig Switch, and backups will need to be repacked to function with the flashcart. Games played with the flashcart can be played online, as well.

The Mig Switch currently has a website, where it is seeking distributors to work together with in order to sell initial limited quantities of the Mig Switch device, with the first units to be delivered sometime in January. The team claims that full availability is expected around March/April 2024. It'll come with the Mig Switch card, and the Mig Switch Dumper, with the latter of which allowing you to back up your games using NXdumpTool.

:arrow: Official Website

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
meh, this one is developed by the russians. not giving them any money until russia stops the war in ukraine.
Not to sound like I received a new foil hat for Xmas, but if this is Russian connected in any way, I imagine extra pressure will be used. Extra support even to shut this down even quicker than usual.

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
To backup your games, you will need either Mig Switch Dumper OR a modified Switch with NXdumpTool
But a modded console makes this piece of hardware obsolete imho. I mean, you already have access to a custom firmware. There's no need to use this when modded.

Reactions: impeeza and Lumince

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't care if the sole purpose is piracy or if it requires a new file format, if let me run whatever I want even if isolated from the rest of the system (which for me is not even a negative thing) that is enough for me to be interested.

I much prefer something like this than tinkering with the internal components of my console hardware.

G33ksquad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m still thinking this will be more popular where “fully loaded” consoles can be offered, reminds me of the PS4 game share method that was found I forget where, but that also wasn’t the US.

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"Ease of use was always in our mind when developing the Mig Switch"

To be completely honest, ejecting and re-inserting the card constantly just to get to the game you want to play is not ease of use.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This Method ... Cardrige in - Cardridge out ... Just wanna know how many people will break the Cardrige or the Cardridge reader on the Switch itself. This screams already for a Disaster. Yeah, cheap broken Switches incomming.:rofl2:
I’m sure someone will design a little companion pcb that has a button

Sorta like the action replay DS and how it let the cartridge stick out of the console

Reactions: Trojaner

Valwinz

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
So it works like those trash Early 3DS flashcards that went nowhere. this is a waste of money. like in the 3DS you better of hacking the switch itself

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Maybe they only needs to be patched in order to work correctly (as in the past with cards like G6 or M3).

If i can dump my original cartridges with an external tool without the need to a modchip, im interested in this flashcard.
No. You need the full dump of the cartridge, the XCI data AND the unique IDs and certificate of each cartridge.
I guess it's impossible, as for dumping games one need an already hacked console:
No so true. They will sell a dumper deviceas stated by jaapdaniels and you can read in the page:
if you've read the wehole thing theyt give 2 options, NXdumptool needs a modded console, but can be used for estore games maybe, and ther is Mig Dumper instructions :
  1. Insert game card into the dumper slot
  2. Plug in dumper to PC with USB cable
  3. Mass storage device will appear, with a folder XXX.xci 4. Copy XXX.xci folder to create a game backup

To backup your games, you will need either Mig Switch Dumper OR a modified Switch with NXdumpTool

So it seems that the flashcard will be delivered with additional hardware aka Mig Switch Dumper
No delivered, sell as an option
Post automatically merged:

But a modded console makes this piece of hardware obsolete imho. I mean, you already have access to a custom firmware. There's no need to use this when modded.
It's supposed with this device you can go online and not be banned

I am still on saint Thomas mode

Gozaburo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
It's simislar to the Sky3ds+ with it's Skydock. Making your own dumps and play them with full availability.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Only if you send him feet +1