Game.com Emulator On 3DS

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It blows my mind that this thing existed around the same time as the Game Gear and the Gameboy Color, yet was both vastly superior and inferior to both in many different ways.
It was quite impressive, and also was one of the first game consoles with a touch-screen. In the Game.com SDK leaks, the sound processor is similar to the Game Gear in a way.

Reactions: Jayro

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Game.com (or as known internally "Tiger DMG") apparently uses a bog-standard SHARP microcontroller with a built-in monochrome LCD interface.
Other than a vastly different instruction set (which is undocumented btw), it's indeed basically a weird Game Boy with Game Boy Color features on a chip.

I don't think it could run at full speed on an old3DS (I'm serious), but other than the fully undocumented instruction set, everything else is documented, so it's definitely doable.
In fact, there are so many similarities with the Game Boy and Game Boy Color, that I think I can infer the cycle timings for almost all of the instructions, and possibly even the CPU bugs as well, without even owning a Game.com myself.
Are you not aware that open source Game.com emulation has been available for some time? Abundant videos are available on Youtube. I believe it's in Retroarch, but I don't know if it's available in the Retroarch builds for 3DS.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Are you not aware that open source Game.com emulation has been available for some time? Abundant videos are available on Youtube. I believe it's in Retroarch, but I don't know if it's available in the Retroarch builds for 3DS.

I've searched both Bing and google, and I only get results for Marvel stuff, completely irrelevant to the Game.com, so yeah, I'm not aware :/

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since when did this relate to my post? Regardless, I don't like the Game com, mainly because of how limited the hardware is compared to the competition and was way ahead of its time. Tiger mainly focused on LCD games, that after playing them for 5 minutes, you'd be bored shitless.
I promise and insist that Tiger Electronics Game Com Handheld Entertainment Dual Slot System has some games that are almost playable

• Haha
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I promise and insist that Tiger Electronics Game Com Handheld Entertainment Dual Slot System has some games that are almost playable
Did you read out the name like its an AliExpress item description? Also, 'almost playable'?! Yeah right. Go watch some gameplay videos or try the games out for yourself, and tell me whether they're "playable" or not. :rofl2:

Reactions: yuyuyup

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Did you read out the name like its an AliExpress item description? Also, 'almost playable'?! Yeah right. Go watch some gameplay videos or try the games out for yourself, and tell me whether they're "playable" or not. :rofl2:
I playd Batman, lights out was cool with touchscreen, and Midway arcade on original hardware, everyone in america agrees those games were almost playable on the system that many call "The Original Nintendo DS" the game com

• Haha

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I playd Batman, lights out was cool with touchscreen, and Midway arcade on original hardware, everyone in america agrees those games were almost playable on the system that many call "The Original Nintendo DS" the game com
Don't know if your posts are satire or not, but lets just say that the DS was an overall better system than watching pixels on a blurry dot-matrix screen.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't know if your posts are satire or not, but lets just say that the DS was an overall better system than watching pixels on a blurry dot-matrix screen.
it's toungue in cheek with rose colored glasses because I do think those games are almost playable, I gladly defend this system I swear on a stack of Tiger Handhelds

• Haha

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had/have a real Game.com with Duke Nukem 3D and Sonic. It's INCREDIBLY boring and the screen blur is ATROCIOUS. Sonic is unplayable and Duke Nukem 3D you can only go forward and straef left and right, it's little more than an actual tiger handheld game. Everything about the system is BORING and I could't play more than 10 minutes though I really tried. Also, nobody used the online function, ever, because there wasn't any reason to. Who would pay money for dialup just to share scores?

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I had/have a real Game.com with Duke Nukem 3D and Sonic. It's INCREDIBLY boring and the screen blur is ATROCIOUS. Sonic is unplayable and Duke Nukem 3D you can only go forward and straef left and right, it's little more than an actual tiger handheld game. Everything about the system is BORING and I could't play more than 10 minutes though I really tried. Also, nobody used the online function, ever, because there wasn't any reason to. Who would pay money for dialup just to share scores?
duke3d was a joke but I still put in some time, the systems digitized sound effects were pretty good, with the game com system boot voice etc. And I gladly defend the modem attachment, they still were the first first first. They deserve the nobel peace prize for every game com sold, so at least 2 for you and me

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
duke3d was a joke but I still put in some time, the systems digitized sound effects were pretty good, with the game com system boot voice etc. And I gladly defend the modem attachment, they still were the first first first. They deserve the nobel peace prize for every game com sold, so at least 2 for you and me

Pretty sure nintendo's famicom modem was the first but might be wrong

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure nintendo's famicom modem was the first but might be wrong
I meant for portable platforms even though the modem was wired but first first first, it's so beautiful
5z4dxv05pzz01.jpg

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Game.com can be emulated with MAME, previously MESS. There is an old mame2003 core available for 3ds retroarch, but it doesn't have MESS merged.
Besides that, both standalone mame and retroarch mame, require commandline arguments to load the game.com emulation which is currently not possible on (official) 3ds retroarch anyway.

So, no game.com emulation on 3ds.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I meant for portable platforms even though the modem was wired but first first first, it's so beautiful
5z4dxv05pzz01.jpg
Iirc, you had to pay a network provider to use the Game.com's modem capabilities.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
So you're posting in an unrelated thread, then. :glare:

As per the post from @MrHuu above, if the Analogue Pocket supports the appropriate MAME Retroarch core, then it's done.
Analogue Pocket runs FPGA cores, not software emulator cores.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
It should be possible to make an FPGA core for the Game.com as well, as it shares similarities with the Game Boy and Game Boy Color. As for the SM85 CPU, it's very different from the SM83 that the Game Boy / Game Boy Color use, but it should have some similarities with the rest of the hardware, especially with the Game Boy Color, and even more precisely the CGB-CPU found inside of the AGB/AGS.

If the Game.com wasn't so damn rare, I'd ask someone to lend me theirs, so I could test instruction timings on it. It's quite difficult to work with a fully undocumented instruction set.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Plus I think many of the games expect a keyboard