Gaming Games you loaned out but never got back?

Segger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man I'll never forget the copy of Final Fantasy 8 that I lent to this kid in middle school who was two grades ahead of me, we rode the bus together back from school and he got a lot farther than I did since I really disliked the magic system and PS2 was out at the time anyhow, so I didn't care too much for the game as a whole compared to FFX.

It was entertaining to hear him describe where he was and the enemies he was fighting, he kept describing ultimecia as an 'evil witch' and that the game was really hard. I realized that witnessing the game through his eyes was much more fun than playing it for myself, it was like the snail mail equivalent of watching a let's play.

Any time I asked if he was done with it he would like go over the top reassuring me that he'd give it back, and ofc he never did and probably wasn't planning on it but it also never bothered me since he clearly had much more fun and put way more time into it than I ever would.

I finally did buy the game again much later and then played it to completion even later still, but my friend's wide-eyed musings of how he kept getting his ass kicked are some of my best memories of the game.

Reactions: hippy dave

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
About 10 years ago I lent someone a few Xbox 360 games can't remember them all but one was Perfect Dark Zero. Never got them back but many years later another friend of mine borrowed Super Mario Odyssey from the person who never gave back my 360 games. Guess who is now in possession of said copy of Odyssey :rofl2:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
About 10 years ago I lent someone a few Xbox 360 games can't remember them all but one was Perfect Dark Zero. Never got them back but many years later another friend of mine borrowed Super Mario Odyssey from the person who never gave back my 360 games. Guess who is now in possession of said copy of Odyssey :rofl2:
I think that might be considered dumping your rubbish onto someone else.

• Haha
Reactions: AmandaRose

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Advanced Dungeons And Dragons: Eye of the Beholder 2, on his original case, manuals and disks, after several years they return only the cover of the manual arguing "I already give you all the stuff"
:cry:

Last edited by impeeza,

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So far I've gotten all of my games back. But there was a time when we simply burned the games from friends to a new disk and we could play them at home. We had to google a few keys for star wars battlefront tho (and make sure that everyone had an individual key).
There is a friend that I borrowed a DSi/3DS charging cable that I never got back. I also borrowed a few books to a friend and got a game in return. I never saw the books again but I still got the game.

ChiefReginod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Revenge? I say justice.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
For the life of me i can't recall that ever happening. Had it once where a game boy cartridge(already mentioned to be faulty) turned out to be faulty(blowing the cartridge works, damnit;)).
And once where i learned out my zip drive (100 mb cartridges. Those things where the future once :P ) to a friend once, and it took months to get it back... And it wasn't working then anymore. His parents didn't like it, but ended up paying for it.

And to anyone who's never returned games to friends or family members, I want to know what your parents did to you. What traumatic events in your life made you value video games more than friends/family? Surely something horrible. I want to say here that I don't hate you, but I pity you. And whatever your reasons were, I hope you find peace in your life.
Erm... Ever considered that it might have been simple forgetting or losing the cartridge? Not everyone's raised to be a grade A bully.

gohan123

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
a little bit off-topic, someone stole my yu-gi-oh deck, I spent around 500€ for my boosters, that was so much money as a kid. months later I noticed how a friend sold cards which I owned. I confronted him and he admited it. I got some worthless cards back but all the valueable were already sold. never talked to him since then. atleast I did't borrow him anything.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just remembered another one; Konami GB Collection Vol 2... I loaned to my brother almost 25 years ago. I'd bought it brand new, and taken good care of it. He borrowed it complete in box... never seen it since. Honestly don't know if he still has it, and despite bringing it up periodically I'm resigned to the fact I'll never see it again.
Particularly annoying when you see how much a copy in similar condition currently sells for on ebay

darkangel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, a whole ass SNES + all the games to my older brother, who later claimed that the games got stolen by one of their "friends" - only for me to find the exact same import copy of Street Fighter II Turbo + region adapter in my nephews game shelf 25 years later.

Also a friend at school proposed that we should lend each other some games. I've received a copy of Yugioh for PS2 (which was the rage at the time) and he got Pikmin 2 and Doshin the Giant. A few weeks later his family moved back to Austria, I've never seen the guy again. Meh.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fucking hell i'm becoming a mini leo with the way i yap aren't i?
    +1
  • impeeza @ impeeza:
    I was unable to create the VM for the debloat windows, but found the video where I learned it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZm6mY3I7J4
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No you def no leo, and I like your insight. You are a smart Baked cookie.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicken drumsticks and sweet potato for dinner tonight turned out good
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    "i promise not to get all political and/or philosophical"
    3 drinks later:
    "so yeah think for yourself and i think the government sucks"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is @BigOnYa drunk again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    no, i was poking fun at myself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Again? I have a IV feeding me so I never come down.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because self deprecating humor is important, as long as it doesn't turn into self hate. because you can't really make fun of anyone if you can't even make fun of yourself
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Booze enemas are real lol
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    that explains a lot
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, invented the first ever pill that gets you instantly hammered, now filling the streets of Miami
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That was what called a qaaulude, instant drunk, luckily they not around anymore.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tylenol midday
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ambian the stuff of dreams lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nyquill with grape juice
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    wow that didn't work lol
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    tried to paste a pic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stop getting your creamy paste all over
    +1
  • impeeza @ impeeza:
    DO NOT WORK FOR ME :(
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think he has a wedgie, and is afraid to fix it in public.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Thong +1