Gateway 3DS Already Blocked

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If a 1:1 clone could be made with rewritable memory, then wouldn't that mean you could rewrite a retail cartridge, too? I'm just being logical here.

Also, Shadow cherrypicking which comments to respond to makes me feel a tad uneasy. I'm not a SUPERCARD fanboy so much as an appreciator of a track record, either. Gateway has to earn theirs like anyone else.

FAST6191, I believe the themer you were looking for is MyMenuify. I forget the name all the time myself, even though I just used it a couple weeks ago!

Metoroid0, wouldn't you at least be interested in some high-class 3D photo editing and viewing?
There's a reason the games are called Roms. Short for Read Only Memory, it means that the memory is not rewritable. So no, normal cartridges can't be rewritten.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Honestly who the fork cares about homebrew/emulators anymore.

that is a very ignorant statement. homebrew for systems as old as the commodore 64 are being released right now. a vast majority of gamers enjoy "retro" experiences and unique indie homebrew development. bringing those things to the 3ds would be a wonderful step into a new territory that is just beginning to be explored (rift, google glasses, and other vr set-ups). the ability to play old 3d experiences is a given (vectrex, virtual boy, master system, nintendo, etc), but what would be most intriguing would be the resurgence of a "ds" homebrew community based solely on 3d technology.

so to answer your question about who no longer cares, i believe that would be you.

-another world

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What happened? Now it's all about anti-piracy, and including DRM into homebrew.
Well, it's not like Riivolution is a GBAtemp-sponsored project (well, it might be).
a vast majority of gamers enjoy "retro" experiences and unique indie homebrew development.
A vast majority? I highly doubt that.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
A vast majority? I highly doubt that.

i guess you have never read about indie releases on PSN, Xbox Live, Android, iOS, Steam's Project Green Light, Nintendo's e-shop, or the hundreds of independently run indie development/homebrew friendly release sites? apparently we don't mingle in the same circles. i read about and interact with thousands upon thousands of gamers and developers who enjoy such experiences.

gaming got its start for a generation that out numbers your modern experiences.

-another world

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
now you can all start buying your games.
do you even know what forum you joined?

Does that mean I'm in the wrong place too?
I never came to this site for ROMs, or other forms of Piracy, but I still like helping out the people in the Letter Box Stationary Thread.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never came to this site for ROMs, or other forms of Piracy, but I still like helping out the people in the Letter Box Stationary Thread.
You... want... to help people? You're definitely in the wrong place.

maharito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a reason the games are called Roms. Short for Read Only Memory, it means that the memory is not rewritable. So no, normal cartridges can't be rewritten.
I know what ROMs are; I was merely illustrating a point. I don't think we actually want 1:1, i.e. we want rewritable memory--which means a different form of memory would have to be used with different access rates and statistics. If I were Nintendo, I would base anti-piracy measures on the timing of reading headers and stuff. That way, if you're using non-firmware-based loader data (so future anti-piracy updating would always be possible), it would have to be formatted a very specific way in order for the firmware to access it at precisely the right time; combine that with proprietary file systems and conventional library checks, and Nintendo's 3DS piracy reputation might still be intact.

...That said, I'm still curious why Shadow's so tight-lipped. Maybe it's just paranoia, but they don't seem like rookies...meh.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
But you know that the subject is often discussed here, at least, and isn't taboo or anything.

What happened? Now it's all about anti-piracy, and including DRM into homebrew.
The anti-piracy thing is because most people don't know what they're talking about (as usual) and believe outright lies.

DRM in homebrew seems pretty hypocritical with most lines of thoughts, but then again homebrew is about coding what YOU want, and if the author of something wants to put in DRM, they can very well do it. Though there's only like two or three projects that actually have DRM. 99.99% of homebrew doesn't do it. That's not an exaggeration, either. Check out filetrip.net's homebrew sections for the GBA, DS, and Wii, and note the huge number of programs that have no DRM.

It's just that including DRM in homebrew seems like such a radical movement, that it's a commonly-discussed topic.

Also here's the snarky "try reading the first page or looking in the homebrew section of the forums" part of the response.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/wood-firmware-v1-60-r4idsn-update.349391/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/mario-kart-psp-v4-9-psp-homebrew-update.349207/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/powercheck-v1-7-wii-utility-update.349151/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/gameyob-a-gameboy-emulator-for-ds.343407/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/ndssfc-catsfc-revival.339600/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/tempgba-ndsgba-revival.343210/
etc.

Also the GBATemp homebrew bounties, etc.

"Well why am I not seeing much right now" - Shit's dead. The PSP is dead, the DS is dead, the Wii is dead, etc. And the newer systems only run the older-mode stuff as it is, most development is still to get the newer devices to run the older device stuff.

Reactions: Zetta_x

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i guess you have never read about indie releases on PSN, Xbox Live, Android, iOS, Steam's Project Green Light, Nintendo's e-shop, or the hundreds of independently run indie development/homebrew friendly release sites? apparently we don't mingle in the same circles. i read about and interact with thousands upon thousands of gamers and developers who enjoy such experiences.

gaming got its start for a generation that out numbers your modern experiences.

-another world

he must be younger, the younger generation of gamers just dont get the video game nostalgia factor because they did not go through the childhood experience of playing 8 bit and 16 bit games etc when they were new

KingBlank

King of Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Meh, this is good news for piracy.

It means the gateway 3DS is more likely to be legit.
It would not even matter if the gateway 3DS was never updated to work on the latest firmware, so long as we can find away to play games without installing the packaged updates.
But even then, with the amount of games available at the moment it is still a worthy purchase.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +2