Gateway 3DS Already Blocked

KingBlank

King of Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
It's not like Animal Crossing is going away if you don't update within the next few days.

I updated and bought it.
It's not that I'm afraid it will run away. I Just want to use my 3DS! Animal crossing was cheaper and I'm hoping that by the time another worthy title comes along the 3DS scene will be bigger and better, then I might get to choose from a lovely variety of Flashcarts and ask the expert Rydian what one is best :)

Btw, Nothing really caught my attention at nintendo direct and if I'm going to be waiting a few years then I may as well do it with a game that chews through superfluous amounts of my time.

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main question is why you ordered in the first place when the team explicitly said to not place any actual money orders on the device as of yet. I really hate to say it this way, but either you can wait it out, or you lost yourself 17 bucks. :(
No... they said to not make pre-orders until they were ready to take pre-orders. And when they started to populate their reseller page with resellers, they were ready for pre-orders.

And seeing as before I was even aware that they were taking pre-orders, one out of three of the US resellers sold out, and it seemed like a better choice to reserve a copy now, with a $5 off coupon code, than to wait and not deal with an out of stock issue. I remember in the past when I really wanted a flashcart that was "out of stock" and it would be a few months before new shipments came in.

The money itself isn't a big deal. Its having a useless piece of plastic. Even though I have two out-of-date 3DS units, I hate being one of those people that constantly fear updates. Plus dening the updates themselves is pretty annoying, and I actually buy crap from the eShop.

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I kept saying this could be easily blocked by Nintendo. I remember being told "it's a 1:1 clone blablabla can't be blocked lol. Do you know how n64 flashcards work lol (you asshole, I fucking told you so. You don't know shit about drive emulation as well, this is NOT one)". And they did, and it isn't even out yet! they can block this completely when it's out... That's why I was so unsafe about this flashcard, because I knew the 3DS can block this kind of stuff easily. Once it's released, Nintendo engineers can just make the 3DS detect some feature of the cart's hardware and boom, they'll need to release a hardware revision altogether.

I think the true opening of the console would come with a kernel mode hack, somewhere in the future. We got the fundraiser for the chip decapping completed, it's probably coming. Glad to know that at least I was right (contrary to other people who argued against me wildly).

You know that this won't really affect that right? If X&Y become runnable on flash carts, you wouldn't be able to tell a difference between a retail copy and the flash copy while the games are running. I'd be more worried about things like Pokebuilder - if they can come out with a 3DS version, allowing people to create Pokemon right from their iPad or iPhone more easily than going into PokeSav or Pokegen.

About that, if you want to hack pokemon to play on X&Y, you would need to go online and from then, the 3DS would require you to update. So even if this flashcard would succeed, I don't think it would be possible (with this, maybe with a save backup tool it could be done, but I really hope not).

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just wonder is there a way to rip a save file from a legit 3DS cart, I only need it for Pokemon X/Y for Pokesav related programs, don't need it for anything else.

Subzero100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is what you get for promoting this shit all overt the internet.......what the hell do they think they were going to do?

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the time there's nothing worth updating for. Now that Acekard 2i will never get fixed for 3DS, just to wait for DSTWO to get an update before updating the 3DS is a good idea. So now we see that a 3DS flash card exists so might as well wait even longer for that.

I own one open box red 3DS that still works with acekard 2i and that system is NEVER getting updated. But then again, we all know how to run the old flash carts on these systems anyway.

I just hope that whoever made the Gateway was smart enough to make it so it can be updated indefinitely. However we all know that at some point a team gets burnt out and completely discontinues and doesn't release any of their source code too. So eventually we are all stuck with a brick of hardware.

SinR

The Terribad Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
how the fuck did they know the exploit??..someone sold out.

That's my thought. Someone undoubtedly forwarded one of the review models to Nintendo, they reverse engineered it and figured how it worked, then created a firmware update (MANDATORY!) that blocked it.

oh well, Kinda glad I decided to wait a generation or two for a 3DS cart

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
That's my thought. Someone undoubtedly forwarded one of the review models to Nintendo, they reverse engineered it and figured how it worked, then created a firmware update (MANDATORY!) that blocked it.

oh well, Kinda glad I decided to wait a generation or two for a 3DS cart

If you truly believe this then all I have to say is LOL!!!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Laugh all you want, I have my theories. Explain how Nintendo was able to block it before it was even released. They had to have hands-on time with The Gateway
I am going to break into your house tomorrow, I expect I will either pop a window or use my cheap and cheerful lockpicks to come through a door.

*You spend the next 24 hours putting a brace across the doors and barring the windows.*

Oh dear I can not break into your house in the way I had planned.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand why certain 3DS owners around the world would be desperate, but somehow other people have been holding out for something like this ever since the kernel exploit hype back in December. Is this flashcart really worth the value of two upcoming 3DS titles? I bet we won't even have to wait too long after this cart's release for the exploit to possibly leak.

SinR

The Terribad Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Did I miss something? Did they explain how The Gateway worked? like the specifics on how its able to run the ROM image on the MicroSD card. and how the 3DS manages to run the cartridge in the first place?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did I miss something? Did they explain how The Gateway worked? like the specifics on how its able to run the ROM image on the MicroSD card. and how the 3DS manages to run the cartridge in the first place?

Issues with only being able to save one game
No menu
No hacked games
No cheats
No region free
No homebrew
Works with existing ROM images.

That screams to me they are just cloning a commercial ROM and have a bit of logic to direct the reads from the 3ds and change them into SD card reads to allow it to work for any game, the ability to swap (save issues not withstanding) probably comes as the result of fiddling with the order of a game, some other homebrew on the DS or something like that (personally I would have gone switches on top of the cart, some switches you can connect to the cart or a detection for numbers of power ons without a SD card in the slot but that is a different matter entirely).

As Nintendo I know the 3ds read protocol inside and out, as gateway or indeed any public hacker I can infer a lot of things by watching it on my scope but I do not know everything and every tricky that can be done -- even on the DS it was non trivial, a good example of that would be below 8000 stuff that was actively and extensively used as an anti piracy method, it had a "secure area" and it goes on.
If they are using existing dumps they might not be a full dump (no DS ROM dumped yet has a full secure area for instance, several later dumps were also missing a part of the header, a useless part but missing none the less) and then you just read the area that is not complete and you have yourself a detection method.
If they are using basic logic it might not be fast enough or it might not behave in the same manner (or indeed you could change the setup in a manner that would trouble no commercial game but might frustrate the obvious route for a flash cart). Any potential differences (more current, higher latency, incorrect responses) can be used to detect things and any differences you can detect you can use to shut things down. There is an adage in security that reads the defender has to protect against every attack, the attacker only has to get it done once. Normally Nintendo is on the defence but not in this instance, similarly modern security reads something like "if you have a virus on your computer then you have failed regardless of whether your AV program stopped it or not".

When you do this sort of thing on an established network/IT setup it is usually called penetration testing and it is a big deal in the security world. The term probably still applies here though it is not ideal, suffice it to say though you can find people versed in hacking or just speak to some of your programmers if they are good (this is tricky as the one that takes things apart is not always the one that builds it) there are people out there you can get to pull things apart and attack it.

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
Laugh all you want, I have my theories. Explain how Nintendo was able to block it before it was even released. They had to have hands-on time with The Gateway

Because it's their system and they know how everything works; all Nintendo had to do was change their security codes and add security checks. Just like when Xbox 360 came out with xgd3 and it reflashed your console back to stock same scenario right here I think. Different codes different format...now the question is can gateway counter it, because if it truly was from a exploit then I don't think they can if Nintendo closed the doors on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: