Gateway 3DS Already Blocked

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i guess you have never read about indie releases on PSN, Xbox Live, Android, iOS, Steam's Project Green Light, Nintendo's e-shop, or the hundreds of independently run indie development/homebrew friendly release sites? apparently we don't mingle in the same circles. i read about and interact with thousands upon thousands of gamers and developers who enjoy such experiences.

gaming got its start for a generation that out numbers your modern experiences.

-another world
he must be younger, the younger generation of gamers just dont get the video game nostalgia factor because they did not go through the childhood experience of playing 8 bit and 16 bit games etc when they were new
I may not have been alive when the first video games were released, but that has nothing to do with it. I grew up with Genesis at my house and NES/SNES at friends' houses. I think that's fairly retro enough.

And I'm not saying that there is no audience for retro games. I know people that like retro games much more than modern ones, too. But I seriously doubt that most gamers enjoy it. You read about and interact with thousands upon thousands of gamers, but you know that there are billions of gamers, right? I'll play retro-looking games if I enjoy the genre, but that doesn't mean I enjoy retro games. If the same exact games had a modern look, that wouldn't deter me from playing it. It just means that's what's out there, and that it's infinitely times easier for indie/homebrew games to be retro because they're easier to make than AAA blockbusters where they simulate every strand of the player's hair.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
And I'm not saying that there is no audience for retro games.

that is exactly what you implied.

as soon as hacking/emulation is mentioned the majority of younger gamers ask if it plays n64 and ps1. while my generation asks for atari 2600 and nes. it happens time and time again. but your saying that gamers do not want those experiences and that there is no reason to have homebrew/indie games on the 3ds. if that was the case then why are gamers always asking for them? why do publishers release retro packs? why are there so many sites deidcated to indie/homebrew development? why have many indie (xbox, psn, wii) games the last few years been released with retro-graphics and styling?

-another world

Reactions: Ryukouki

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that is exactly what you implied.

-another world
No, it's exactly what you inferred. I'm pretty sure I know what I implied.
A vast majority? I highly doubt that.
All that means is that I believe the number is less than 50%, not more. Stop assuming your perceptions of people are absolute.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I may not have been alive when the first video games were released, but that has nothing to do with it. I grew up with Genesis at my house and NES/SNES at friends' houses. I think that's fairly retro enough.

And I'm not saying that there is no audience for retro games. I know people that like retro games much more than modern ones, too. But I seriously doubt that most gamers enjoy it. You read about and interact with thousands upon thousands of gamers, but you know that there are billions of gamers, right? I'll play retro-looking games if I enjoy the genre, but that doesn't mean I enjoy retro games. If the same exact games had a modern look, that wouldn't deter me from playing it. It just means that's what's out there, and that it's infinitely times easier for indie/homebrew games to be retro because they're easier to make than AAA blockbusters where they simulate every strand of the player's hair.

yeah I have to be in the mood to play retro games and only the really good ones hold that mood for long, usually only the 1st party nintendo titles

samljer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I remember peps saying ''Nintendo can't block a 1:1 clone''.
Hah, they can! ;O;

its not technically a 1:1 clone.

This is not awesome at all, devices like this are your one hope for Region Free gaming on the 3DS unless something such as homebrew eventually does come along. Nintendo are the only company to still enforce region lock, as far as I know, which is utter bullshit in a lot of people's eyes who live in English speaking European countries that do not get games when their American friends get them or even get those said games at all...

Apologies to the rest of Europe, but waiting 6 months for a company to change mom to mum and color to colour for the language format we use is always bullshit, a lot of the time I wish we were just classified under "English" when it came to games, a completely separate release away from EUR alongside the Americans and Australians.

The only reason I'd purchase a flash card or install homebrew on my 3DS is Region Lock, this is also goes for the Wii U. This is 2013, yet games such as Scribblenauts Unlimited is still not out in Europe after it being released last year(?) in America...

I hope this get fixed or someone mods the 3DS for region free, I do not wish to wait months and months for A Link Between Worlds which I get the suspicion we will be with no confirmed timeline other than "Late 2013" rather than a specific month... smells like a push back to me.

That's flat out wrong, Gateway clearly stated that it DOES NOT KILL REGION LOCK.
so it wasn't ever a hope of that to begin with.
RTFM, or at least the FAQ on their website.

Hey Einstein, there are no Homebrew Apps for 3DS yet!
If you mean, any Homebrew possible, well...let me give you a few great Homebrew on older platforms:

GeckoOS (Make your Console Region Free, for Wii).
CWCheats (Something similar to Action Replay, for PSP).
Priiloader (Make your Console (almost) Brick-Proof, for Wii).
Home Screen Theming (I forgot the name of it, for Wii).
SVSIP (VoIP, for DS).
OtherOS (was official, but this one brings it back, for PS3).
There are even more Homebrew Gems out there, but I don't have all Consoles Homebrewed (my PS3 Super Slim doesn't support any CFW out there).

There's no homebrew because there's no cards to run them;
A card will spark the homebrew scene, derp.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's flat out wrong, Gateway clearly stated that it DOES NOT KILL REGION LOCK.
so it wasn't ever a hope of that to begin with.
RTFM, or at least the FAQ on their website.
Right, but with other developers getting their hands on it, mayhaps they will find a way to bypass region lock. Any progress is good progress. I think that's what they were saying. Or maybe not.

dehry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how many sites are even going to carry this now that the thing has been blocked. The words "Not compatible with Pokemon X/Y and Smash Brothers" guarantees the person running the flashcart site is going to have a box of them stacked right next to the Acekards, original R4s, and Evolution DSis they have leftover from when they were popular. Someone here may be willing to pay $80 for the cards, but if the store owner is going to have to buy $8000 - $40000 in merchandise, they will want to be sure they make a profit and don't end up selling them at a loss.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should I cancel gateway?

canceling will cost me $17

The main question is why you ordered in the first place when the team explicitly said to not place any actual money orders on the device as of yet. I really hate to say it this way, but either you can wait it out, or you lost yourself 17 bucks. :(

Reactions: ferret7463

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
how did they even block if it's never been released. ninty must have had spies in their midst who smuggled out a device to them so they can rip it apart to see how to block it :lol:

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how did they even block if it's never been released. ninty must have had spies in their midst who smuggled out a device to them so they can rip it apart to see how to block it :lol:

well because it's not a true 1:1 cart that's how they blocked it

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

From what they said it was fairly obvious the gateway people were cloning a cart and they said it worked with present dumps. You get in someone that can think like a hacker and it is not that hard to cook up some checks that you can fire as a broadside of sorts.

As for the wii modchips most of that was because the early stuff was based on the GC before it. Where that sits gets complex.

KingBlank

King of Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'm now faced with the hard decision of updating to buy animal crossing, or waiting for the gateway 3DS which may end up being useless due to some awesome SD card exploit neimod or some other hacker finds...

Anyone else think this needs a lock?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm now faced with the hard decision of updating to buy animal crossing, or waiting for the gateway 3DS which may end up being useless due to some awesome SD card exploit neimod or some other hacker finds...
It's not like Animal Crossing is going away if you don't update within the next few days.

Anyone else think this needs a lock?
Nope, it's important info for people who were considering the product.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1