Gateway 3DS, News and Information

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Allow me to clarify.

The first units to go to resellers (The ones consumers pay for, the end customers.) this week, however so do the units they're sending out to reviewers. It sounds like they've expedited the review samples to the reviewers, hence their "If you are to receive a sample for review, you will also receive it this week, a bit earlier than first production units." so reviews will be getting them this week.

The blue card is a normal DS flashcart. It runs DS roms, and DS homebrew. The purpose of the blue card is to allow the user to run the DS homebrew made by the GW3DS team in order to "prepare" the 3DS in some way. The blue card works on 6.1, as it's just a DS flashcart.

In order to prepare the system you must run the "Gateway Installer" homebrew using the blue card. Once it's ran you don't have to run it again. Unless you use DS mode again. (DS games, DS flashcarts including the blue card.) In which case you'll have to run the installer again to use the red card.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf doesn't work due to the save data using some kind of unique NAND save hardware which they've yet to crack/implement support for such games in the GW3DS. They're also working on allowing users to play games that require a higher firmware. (Mario & Luigi Dream Team has 5.1 on it. The European release was dumped showing this.)

That's all.

Reactions: stephysanrio

Rytoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's a nice surprise: I get a DS flash cart while waiting for 5.0 compatibility (if ever). Cool.

Lordmau5

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There will always be an update.

Remember when everyone said, "we won't get anyone to the moon"?
Well, we did.

It just takes time, and enough experience, to find new exploits.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
There will always be an update.

Remember when everyone said, "we won't get anyone to the moon"?
Well, we did.

It just takes time, and enough experience, to find new exploits.
Which is why all the other flash carts, AK2i included, are always updating, right?

Wait. No. Most flash carts do not run on the latest 6.x.

Lordmau5

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Which is why all the other flash carts, AK2i included, are always updating, right?

Wait. No. Most flash carts do not run on the latest 6.x.
I said, it just takes time.

And I am pretty sure, that they stopped working on AK2i because they could get more money with other flashcarts.

Also: Nothing is fully exploitless ;)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I said, it just takes time.

And I am pretty sure, that they stopped working on AK2i because they could get more money with other flashcarts.

Also: Nothing is fully exploitless ;)
They stopped updating the Ak2i because it ran out if internal space to mimic the requests of an actual game (confirmd by AKAIO dev).

http://hackmii.com/2010/02/lawsuit-coming-in-3-2-1/
This shit doesn't run off pixie dust and fart-wishes, it's built on technology and in many cases simply stops being able to update (or in the case of some carts like the original R4, could not update at all to begin with).

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the blue cart is just a cheap r4 clone that runs a homebrew, it should be pretty easy to copy. The red card is probably nothing entirely special... The key is setting up the exploit. Mass clones incoming, all of which will never be updated. However, analyzing the exploit could get us started on cfw.

Chaossaturn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the blue cart is just a cheap r4 clone that runs a homebrew, it should be pretty easy to copy. The red card is probably nothing entirely special... The key is setting up the exploit. Mass clones incoming, all of which will never be updated. However, analyzing the exploit could get us started on cfw.

Yer, I have a feeling that the "Gateway Installer" homebrew will be analyzed and reverse engineered, which will probably make 3ds rom carts useless but I wonder if/when it is reverse engineered if it will still require a DS rom cart to lunch the homebrew to install it or if it will be able to be run from the 3DS SD card.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yer, I have a feeling that the "Gateway Installer" homebrew will be analyzed and reverse engineered, which will probably make 3ds rom carts useless but I wonder if/when it is reverse engineered if it will still require a DS rom cart to lunch the homebrew to install it or if it will be able to be run from the 3DS SD card.
Seeing as it launches from DS mode and the DS has no SD slot...

darkziosj

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I have this question can you update to 4.5 from a rom? nobody seems able to answer, they say a rom force an 4.5 update but why can't it be done?

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have this question can you update to 4.5 from a rom? nobody seems able to answer, they say a rom force an 4.5 update but why can't it be done?

The GW3DS only works on 4.2-4.5. So if you're on 4.2, and try to load a rom that requires 4.5 then in theory it should update your 3DS to 4.5.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GW3DS only works on 4.2-4.5. So if you're on 4.2, and try to load a rom that requires 4.5 then in theory it should update your 3DS to 4.5.
Unless it was just a theory, I thought I saw here that Gateway itself has the 4.2 patch, so you can run it off the bat.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless it was just a theory, I thought I saw here that Gateway itself has the 4.2 patch, so you can run it off the bat.

That wouldn't make sense. The GW3DS is from what I see just mirroring whatever rom's on the micro sd card, so it'd contain whatever update the rom that's being mirrored has. The blue card is of course a DS flashcart, so it wouldn't have a update on it. Lastly the GW3DS team stated in order to use it you should use a game post March to update to 4.5. Which wouldn't make sense to say if the GW3DS updated it to 4.2. :lol:

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That wouldn't make sense. The GW3DS is from what I see just mirroring whatever rom's on the micro sd card, so it'd contain whatever update the rom that's being mirrored has. The blue card is of course a DS flashcart, so it wouldn't have a update on it. Lastly the GW3DS team stated in order to use it you should use a game post March to update to 4.5. Which wouldn't make sense to say if the GW3DS updated it to 4.2. :lol:
Well, maybe that was back before we even knew about the multiple cards. *shrug*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway