ROM Hack GBA Doom wad conversions (open for suggestions!)

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Honestly, I did not understand this last intervention. Doom and Doom 2 (original dos versions) for GBA are already available on Romhacking(dot)net in xdelta format.
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4899/
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3666/
All the megawads available for GBA in this thread (if you had the patience to read from start to finish) are either already in xdelta format or are already pre-patched and ready to use.

Last edited by Nikokaro,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It hurts me to see Doom getting all the love but Wolfenstein 3D hasn't gotten a proper conversion for GBA.
The official GBA port is the closest to the original DOS release we ever got, and with a proper fan port/conversion it would finally be the best console version of Wolf3D for sure.

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a doom wad, but I'm not sure which version it is. I compiled the ds version of this with the help of someone to change some of the code to get it to compile, considering it was 8+ years old with no release. anyway, it might be helpful to have an xdelta patch of it, since the wad isn't allowed on the boards. I know a lot of people have trouble getting the wad files to work.
They have the checksums, file sizes, time and dates stamps for most versions of doom.wad and others like tnt.wad and doom2.wad on the Doom Wiki. Hopefully it will help you find what version of doom.wad you have.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/DOOM.WAD

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They have the checksums, file sizes, time and dates stamps for most versions of doom.wad and others like tnt.wad and doom2.wad on the Doom Wiki. Hopefully it will help you find what version of doom.wad you have.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/DOOM.WAD
thanks, but I made this wad myself. I don't remember which doom I used, but it was probably something basic.

Reactions: ILuvGames

Deleted member 600159

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hay sorry to bump a old thread but i want to ask two things

1) is it posable to make a new version of chex quest that fixes the issues the original port had using this doom port? (mainly the e1m2 level end switch soft lock. or fix what was wrong with the original)

and i know this may be a vary odd one to ask
2) i saw that someone said something about the star wars doom wad, is it posable to get that working and possibly the other chex quest wads working?

Last edited by Deleted member 600159,
Reactions: hxjudge

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bump this beotch, but I'm in dire need of help:

I patched the GBA ROM of DOOM (USA, Europe).gba (No-Intro version) as recommended with the "PC total conversion" patch, and when I bring it into GBATA, it states the save type as NONE. But by some miracle, the game saves and loads just fine... How is this possible?? :unsure:

JC_Denton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would a patch of just regular ol' Ultimate DOOM and DOOM II be possible? Making them myself just gives me this error when I load them up on my GBA or emulator: w_GetNumForName: TEXTURE1 not found

nizkiy_FFlekSsS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Возможен ли патч обычных старых Ultimate DOOM и DOOM II? Делая их самостоятельно, я получаю эту ошибку, когда загружаю их на свой GBA или эмулятор: w_GetNumForName: TEXTURE1 not found
Yes, it's possible, I was able to compile myself with WAD Doom 1 Ultimate 1995, pick up a high-quality source file and use BAT files in folders to speed up compilation. When I compiled myself, I stumbled upon an error, without using Bat files, I collected them without any problems.

rhinofinger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to resurrect this probably-dead thread, but any chance someone could try to make GBA versions of:

1. Goldeneye Doom2

2. Fistful of Doom

3. Sigil I / II

4. Wolfendoom

5. Doom 64 for Doom II

6. Rekkr

I've gotten all of these working in PrBoom before, which, to my understanding, is the basis for the GBA port. Goldeneye Doom2 is a finicky one in that the project appears to be largely abandoned, there are a lot of different versions out there without clarity as to which is the newest, and not all of them work with PRBoom. The one I've had luck with in PRBoom used the filename "zgold64.wad" - in case that helps.

In any case, I'd be happy to try it myself, though I'll admit I don't really even know where to start with this.

Last edited by rhinofinger,
Reactions: hxjudge

hxjudge

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to resurrect this probably-dead thread, but any chance someone could try to make GBA versions of:

1. Goldeneye Doom2

2. Fistful of Doom

3. Sigil I / II

4. Wolfendoom

5. Doom 64 for Doom II

6. Rekkr

I've gotten all of these working in PrBoom before, which, to my understanding, is the basis for the GBA port. Goldeneye Doom2 is a finicky one in that the project appears to be largely abandoned, there are a lot of different versions out there without clarity as to which is the newest, and not all of them work with PRBoom. The one I've had luck with in PRBoom used the filename "zgold64.wad" - in case that helps.

In any case, I'd be happy to try it myself, though I'll admit I don't really even know where to start with this.
Give it a go and good luck bro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States

1. Goldeneye Doom2

2. Fistful of Doom

3. Sigil I / II

4. Wolfendoom

5. Doom 64 for Doom II

6. Rekkr

I'd love a better Wolfenstein on GBA running in pdboom.

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sorry to be a party pooper, but this is an old thread and no one currently, to my knowledge, is working on new conversions of wads for GBA.
I would like to point out that although it is a port of PrBoom for PC, it is subject to severe limitations, for reasons of performance or available memory. Therefore, unlike the original PrBoom, it is not possible to use de-hacked or limit removing wads, only simpler and less complex vanilla wads. So much so that the user who was porting Freedoom (theoretically a vanilla wad) to GBA, trying both the older and the latest version available, had to give up because most of the maps had to be rebuilt and simplified, a long, tiring and thankless job. So it is.

hxjudge

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to be a party pooper, but this is an old thread and no one currently, to my knowledge, is working on new conversions of wads for GBA.
I would like to point out that although it is a port of PrBoom for PC, it is subject to severe limitations, for reasons of performance or available memory. Therefore, unlike the original PrBoom, it is not possible to use de-hacked or limit removing wads, only simpler and less complex vanilla wads. So much so that the user who was porting Freedoom (theoretically a vanilla wad) to GBA, trying both the older and the latest version available, had to give up because most of the maps had to be rebuilt and simplified, a long, tiring and thankless job. So it is.
Hey, could you tell me why only half of these wads boot up and others won't register. I have been playing them on emulator that takes these ROMs, thx

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey, could you tell me why only half of these wads boot up and others won't register. I have been playing them on emulator that takes these ROMs, thx
Well, there is no point in playing these conversions on emulator. There are direct PrBoom ports for every device available, as long as it is powerful enough (Windows, Linux, Android, IOS, DS, 3DS, PSP etc.). Personally, I have tried them on DS Lite via Supercard SD and they all work, at least the first few maps (I only tested them initially, but didn't play them much). I have verified that some slow down noticeably in the presence of many enemies or very large and articulated rooms, or crash at random points. Also, honestly, on the small screen of the DS Lite, they strain my eyes too much and make me nauseous after a while. 🤢 🤮

hxjudge

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, there is no point in playing these conversions on emulator. There are direct PrBoom ports for every device available, as long as it is powerful enough (Windows, Linux, Android, IOS, DS, 3DS, PSP etc.). Personally, I have tried them on DS Lite via Supercard SD and they all work, at least the first few maps (I only tested them initially, but didn't play them much). I have verified that some slow down noticeably in the presence of many enemies or very large and articulated rooms, or crash at random points. Also, honestly, on the small screen of the DS Lite, they strain my eyes too much and make me nauseous after a while. 🤢 🤮
Thx for your reply. Half of them do load on my powerful android phone and I have no problem playing them but I guess a super card or overdrive is the way forward if I want them all to play especially on native machines

Also are there any other GBA wads available not on Bazooka face list, if so where do I find them. Thx again for your knowledge

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work