Hardware Getting a new computer

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, there is something wrong with it... look at the ridiculous amount of resources it uses, the lack of app compatibility, etc etc etc. If the tech guy is really that ignorant...
Not really. I use 1.1GB idle and 1.1GB when playing TF2. You know why? Because Vista preloads things into RAM. If you don't have the RAM, it wont use it. It's not a resource hog, like you speak.

The worst "compatibility issue" I had was a program switching to non-aero mode.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if he doesn't think he's going to be able to BUILD a pc, he's not gunna be able to fit a PSU and a new graphics card in it. have some fuckin sense.
If he can't use a screwdriver, unplug a thing, and plug in another thing, I wouldn't trust him tying his own shoes for fear that he would somehow accidentally end up killing himself and everyone in the general area with the laces.

mojoex

Trophies
Website
ordaria.net
XP
Country
overclocking is mainly aimed towards hardcore enthusiasts, and hardcore enthusiasts get the newest technology around.

also, @Urza, lmfao. even though i do completely agree, he said he didnt want to so thats fair enough really.

and for vista, as long as you have the machine to run it properly its an amazing operating system. no really, it is.
just uses a lot more ram than people complaining about it actually have, so they complain when it doesnt use the proper aero theme or uses "too many resources".

as for building machines, i love it. i cant understand how someone can't. it relaxes me. unless i get my finger caught on the edge of a case mounting
tongue.gif

somehow i always manage to get cuts on my hand, no matter how careful i am.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stumbled across another pretty decent deal. Might pick this one up myself because I still have 260USD in Dell bucks that disappear at the end of March.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...c=brdw4ba&s=bsd

Intel® Core™2 Quad Proc Q6600 (2.40GHz,8MB L2Cache,1066FSB)
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
No Pre-installed Productivity Software
Dell 22 inch Widescreen E228WFP Analog Flat Panel Display
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz - 2DIMMs
Single Drive: 16X (DVD+/-RW) Burner Drive
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GT
No Floppy Drive
No Modem Option
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

930USD + free shipping

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not a bad deal at all, but it all depends on how good that monitor is.
Change the crappy monitor to a 2407WFP-HC and it's $1,359. Now THAT is a good deal.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
whoever told me e2160 max is 3.2, look again =)

3.6ghz @80C

im not going to go that far though, i'll probably leave it at 2.8- 3.0ghz.

Then an easy solution would be to keep the side of your case opened. Really, You don't need an after market cooler, and even if he did get one it would be cheaper than the E6750.
tongue.gif

and let it suck in dust like a bitch? i'd rather not. better to buy some aftermarket cooler and let the cpu live a little longer.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BTW: never listen to advice from ZeWarrior you'll end up with a $4000 pc that can't run shit or a PS3.

Except, I actually know what I talk about, Unlike other people. You either love getting both of us getting modded, or just love insulting other members. STFU with the stupid comments. And I never said anything in this thread.

I only ever insult you and you know that's because I love you so.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Volsfan91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only bad thing about buying a Dell PC is that you can't overclock to my knowledge.

Or can you with a BIOS flash?

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My X2 3800+ is 2ghz stock, currently at 2.25. Not much, but my graphics card is extremely bottlenecked by it. So an increase of 1/8th can increase FPS by at least 15% at 1280x1024.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Overclocking is overrated though for sure.

5% gain for maybe -2 years of CPU life YAY.

You shouldn't talk if you don't know what your saying. If you do a decent overclock it can be an over 50%

I'm not going to start with you...well maybe just this:

A 50% overclock would be considered very good and also rare. Not many people can get that kind of increase without water cooling or liquid nitrogen. Even if they do manage to get a 50% increase chances are the computer is not going to be stable.

Overclocking isn't worth it IMO. Small gains and it's risky if you don't know what you're doing.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'll go prove it, stock CPU and video card clocks, then overclocked with 3DMark06. Expect results tommorow, because I have stuff going and would need to get to the BIOS to change CPU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Looks pretty massive to me