• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Help with British politics.

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I need to write a summary and respons on a cartoon for English class, but I have no idea what it's all about.

Can someone fill me on the situation here, because I don't really follow foreign politics.

Marxian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The cartoon is a reference to the promise of the current Prime Minister, Gorden Brown, to introduce new measures to protect individual freedoms (such as a new Bill of Rights). This promise is contradicted by the Government's somewhat flaky commitment to human rights in recent times, and the Prime Minister is currently arguing for an increase (from 28 days to 56 days) in the length of time that suspected terrorists can be questioned without charge. Add this to the Government's desire to introduce ID cards, and some would say that their commitment to civil liberities is questionable.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask more questions.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel