Hacking High Quality Overlays/Filters for Retroarch (Vita) no slowdown

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
you can do everything but post process. so you can change hue or colorize, add pre-cooked light or shadow. you couldn't actively blend or blur but you could add a haze. So it's like limited filtering. There is video filters besides the overlays but they are currently broken and cause retroarch to freeze.
Freeze? I think it just causes severe slowdowns. I think once this opengl for vita is finished and they implement it into retroarch, it will be past us.

Reactions: Metoroid0

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the ones I'm making will be 960x544 and yours are too if I'm correct. I was speaking to the original poster if he wanted to scale without distortion but yes they should be made from scratch to resolution. Just got my handheld and basic CRT pack done. will be working on more coming up enjoy. Scale is 1x, and set opacity to what you like. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aWs96mEKDsk_oWl5qMmF1EB_nuso5z8Y GBA works for gb and gbc as well. my apologies isoboy you are right wasn't trying to say you where wrong just have slight dyslexia and 2 kid kept messing up the numbers.
View attachment 111442 View attachment 111443 View attachment 111444 View attachment 111446 View attachment 111447 View attachment 111448 View attachment 111449 View attachment 111450View attachment 111451

I'm quite picky about this and your dot matrix image looks very nice. Not obtrusive, just right. Something I'd definitely use.

Last edited by isoboy,

sandman15552000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reploid said:
Freeze? I think it just causes severe slowdowns. I think once this opengl for vita is finished and they implement it into retroarch, it will be past us.

Yeah not sure maybe my build keep getting lockup 30secs to a minute into gameplay or sometime even just in the retroarch menu when a filter is selected. Of corse I've never had good luck with filter even on PC they would cause certain emulations to just have a black screen that's why I'm hoping for shaders with the opengl.

I'm quite picky about this and your dot matrix image looks very nice. Not obtrusive, just right. Something I'd definitely use.

Yeah, I think a lot of the overlay get made to dense or dark for the pixels and choke them out. I drop the opacity to 50% in photoshop from black, and Gaussian Blur 0.8 on grids and 0.3 on lines to defuse a little. It should be something that your eye kinda forget about after a while but you notice if you look for it. I'm also looking to adapt this for retro pie as it struggles with shaders on some systems.

Last edited by sandman15552000,

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah not sure maybe my build keep getting lockup 30secs to a minute into gameplay or sometime even just in the retroarch menu when a filter is selected. Of corse I've never had good luck with filter even on PC they would cause certain emulations to just have a black screen that's why I'm hoping for shaders with the opengl.

Yeah, I think a lot of the overlay get made to dense or dark for the pixels and choke them out. I drop the opacity to 50% in photoshop from black, and Gaussian Blur 0.8 on grids and 0.3 on lines to defuse a little. It should be something that your eye kinda forget about after a while but you notice if you look for it. I'm also looking to adapt this for retro pie as it struggles with shaders on some systems.

That's awesome. I didn't tone down opacity in photoshop. I think the user should choose for him/herself on the vita because it's not like you can go UP from the 50% you set in photoshop. My shop skills are extremely limited and I don't know how to properly tweak other settings. I also won't take credit for this since I just threw a filter into photoshop, deleted the whole area and started pasting my own lines. I just made sure every other line was lined up pixel perfect. Anyone with basic photoshop skills can do it.

Last edited by isoboy,

sandman15552000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you got any ideas more then willing to help. took four year of graphic design went to war and then had kids lol never did anything career wise but got a strong hobby.

Derfhdhs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please. Please. Can someone tell me what the hell I do to get the overlays to look like the smoothing ones like BRx, HQx, Super Eagle etc., as per the pictures. I know the filters crash retroarch, even still. Do these overlays make it appear to look like those smoothers? How is this done?

Reactions: ratmandom

vaporesszo

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Please. Please. Can someone tell me what the hell I do to get the overlays to look like the smoothing ones like BRx, HQx, Super Eagle etc., as per the pictures. I know the filters crash retroarch, even still. Do these overlays make it appear to look like those smoothers? How is this done?

nothing? Iam not sure that retroarch in psvita even capable of anything (shaders, filters, anything at all)

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Filter crashes were fixed recently and the online updater will grab a bunch of defaults. It does overlays fine too. The only thing missing is shaders and support is actually being worked on for that as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-