Misc How do you access wi-fi on a DS through a WPA2-PSK connection?

Squirps

Official Squirps of GBATemp.net™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I have a DS Lite and DSi and I am trying to play games on the internet with it. Unfortunately, my internet router has a WPA2-PSK connection as opposed to a WEP connection, and I know that the DS Lite and DSi can only connect to routers with WEP security on it (to play DS games). Problem is, I am not allowed to switch the router to WEP security, so that rules that option of playing DS games over the internet. Is there any other way I can play on the internet? I see that there all of these threads about creating a soft-AP to make your computer (mine is connected to the WPA2-PSK AP) an AP which can have WEP security---please correct me if I am wrong, but does this allow you to connect to wi-fi, and is there any way to do it without spending any money? Sorry if there are threads already out there about this, I looked at some and I am really unsure of what to do...any help would be greatly appreciated!
yaynds.gif

Reactions: Deleted User

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
IF you can turn your pc into a soft ap, yes, then it would work, and for free.

but to be honest, i dont know of any program that creates a ds/lite compatible soft ap like that.

theres connectify, but that only works for dsi...

Squirps

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clydefrosch said:
IF you can turn your pc into a soft ap, yes, then it would work, and for free.

but to be honest, i dont know of any program that creates a ds/lite compatible soft ap like that.

theres connectify, but that only works for dsi...

Oh yeah, I'm also trying to make it work for my DSi too---didn't think I should have mentioned that, but well, if it works on either of them I'm happy.

Squirps

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clydefrosch said:
http://www.connectify.me/

well, then you might wanna try them, i know at one point, they added dsi support in some way or another
Okay, I just tried Connectify---it works with the DSi on connections 4, 5, and 6, but it doesn't work on connections 1, 2 and 3 because Connectify only allows me to set up the AP on my laptop with WPA2-PSK security. This pretty much defeats the purpose because the DS games aren't compatible with WPA2-PSK security, as was said before. There is also an ad-hoc WEP mode and an ad-hoc Open mode under the Hotspot mode, but it seems as if the DSi isn't compatible with it because it doesn't even recognize it on its list when it searches for APs.

Any other ideas?
unsure.gif

aiRWaLKRe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dr.Aqua said:
-_- Just change ur router to wep than. Wats ur router?
You might want to reread his original post.

And TC what about those old wifi dongle nintendo used to make, they don't make them anymore. But wouldn't that send out a wep signal? That way the computer is connected with wpa2 and your ds connects to the dongle. At least I think it should work, if you can still find one

Dr.Aqua

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I read that. But how do we know it cant be changed? Most router support it even more often than WPA
WEP came first so more router have it compared to WpA

aiRWaLKRe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
He didn't say it can't be changed he said he is not allowed to change it so either it is parents router or a roommates router
wink.gif

But like said he might want to look into a wifi dongle to put on his computer

Dr.Aqua

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dSI can connect to wpa but through a flash cart it can't as ds mode has no wpa function
U can u can use the Nintendo USB or Ethernet adapter

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your SOL unless you get one of those nintendo usb dongles. Or you buy a laptop that you can set up as a wireless access point and it supports WEP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, i don't think my parents will get me a pi