Introducing NINJHAX - A Nintendo 3DS Homebrew Exploit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As Smealum said months ago, you can't patch a physical cartridge.

See above.
So Nintendo couldn't patch the 3ds that cartridge is running on to access the data differently? (Think MK7 having the shortcut patched out)

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So Nintendo couldn't patch the 3ds that cartridge is running on to access the data differently? (Think MK7 having the shortcut patched out)

It's possible to patch the 3DS firmware itself to detect the file(s) needed to launch the exploit. That's what disabled the CycloDS iEvolution (and all other methods for the cooking coach exploit) from booting with the DSi. The new firmware detected the modified save file and automatically deleted the file. This made it impossible for the console to boot into the exploit with the iEvo.

Reactions: Margen67 and Zidapi

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Even if they did, what forces you to download this hypothetical update? The only time where you NEED to update a game is to play some games online through a mandatory patch, and even then you can still access the singleplayer portion regardless.

It's a physical cartridge, if it works when you pop it in the first time, it will work forever. They cannot sneak in something mandatory that breaks it, they will face major legal issues since that's completely illegal.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

they could probably do that but would require the user to download the game update. A system update could possibly block the title from being played (but this this would prevent people that really bought the game to play it from playing it)

gypsynimrod

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
You've been "working" with him since August and all you were all to extract was basic information? But outside of that, as a small tidbit, you need to work on your flow. This article or report or whatever it may be deemed is incredibly clunky and lacks any flow. Your "personality" gets in the way of the quality of what's written.

Reactions: McHaggis

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
they could probably do that but would require the user to download the game update. A system update could possibly block the title from being played (but this this would prevent people that really bought the game to play it from playing it)

i'm sure they are able to patch the actual firmware to fix it, i doubt the only way is to deliver a game update.
a bit like psp fixes exploitable games, you can still RUN the games, but they are fixed in the firmware. sure it's a different console but i would think nintendo could do something similar

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
You've been "working" with him since August and all you were all to extract was basic information?
Working with doesn't equal full disclosure. What, were you expecting a detailed look into how exploit was formed, the code used, etc.? Ryu told you what the exploit was, what it was compatible with, gave a sample of functional homebrew and that it can run in 3D, explained that other homebrew projects are in the work, that emulators are possible, that running 3DS game backups is not possible, told you how the exploit is enabled, told you that the exploit game is available digitally and physically, and even hinted that it was relatively inexpensive.

You literally got all of the information you could possibly need and benefit from except the name of the exploit game and a download link to the exploit.

CuriousTommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is very awesome news indeed! I wonder if this can be a good reason to import a n3ds and hack it? I was thinking of hacking my old 3ds but I spend all my amazon gift cards on something else... The only thing I need to do is try to convince my parents. That may be a challenge...

I hope that I am able to backup my 3ds and ds games (To make things clear, I never said I want to play backup on my 3ds. I only want to save all my games on the computer for game mod, emulators, etc.). Nonetheless, I am excited!

cdoty

Trophies
Website
www.rastersoft.net
XP
Country
United States
TJHeartnote: If I disclosed the price, and given what I have discussed in this topic, the game actually is a bit obvious once you do a bit of searching. I apologize but I can't disclose that information. A few more days. :)

How about ballpark?

Do I need to...
A) Skip a trip to Starbucks
B) Skip a steak dinner
C) Skip a drinking binge
D) Skip a tank of gas

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Only if you go online, other than that, there'd be no way to them to actually remove the game from your console.
True. But no online is a pretty steep price to pay for a homebrew enabled 3DS.
Not asking for the name bur how much is this title going to cost? Give people time to get the money to buy the title.
I can assure you with certainty confidence that the game will cost less than $50USD :P
sure you can't patch the cart, but a new 3ds update could in turn fix it behind the scenes. it doesn't mean you can update willy nilly :)
Yes, obviously. It concerns me that this even needs to said, it's modern console hacking 101.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
It's possible to patch the 3DS firmware itself to detect the file(s) needed to launch the exploit. That's what disabled the CycloDS iEvolution (and all other methods for the cooking coach exploit) from booting with the DSi. The new firmware detected the modified save file and automatically deleted the file. This made it impossible for the console to boot into the exploit with the iEvo.
Thanks. Always wondered what happened to that FlashCart. It used to be the best one available but then it just disapeared.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Except iirc he said the game is around $10 so if you just want homebrew it would be cheaper to buy the game, and I wouldn't waste a slot on sky3ds for a game that would only cost like £7-10 anyway
That's about what I paid for my copy, though i have seen copies in local stores for around $30.

Sure they can. But you still have to download and install the patch, they can't patch it remotely. With titles such as Mario Kart they usually restrict you from playing online until you update. There's no such incentive to update exploit game and thus, no motivation to install a potential patch.

An excellent point. If memory serves, this happened with the Wii and the Twilight Princess save exploit. But you still need to install said exploit blocking update. So they *can* block it, with your permission.

NicEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
I sent a tweet to smea earlier today and got a response. He said it's a retail and eshop game but, the eshop game isn't in all regions.
obviously get the cartridge if possible. Eshop titles can get removed and only the patched version would be available. Just like what happened with DSi

Reactions: Margen67

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Will this exploitable game be a retail cartridge, or an eShop game? If it's an eShop title, It will be SudoHax all over again. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Fucking movies always buffer at the good parts