Homebrew Is it even worth waiting for homebrew on a patched switch on 10.X.0?

Revie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I do believe a software bug will be found. But most likely beyond the EOL for the Switch.
Personally, I have doubt about this. The existence of mod chips that can just be soldered on etc will kill personal motivation for most people unless it's found on accident

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I have doubt about this. The existence of mod chips that can just be soldered on etc will kill personal motivation for most people unless it's found on accident
Motivation is always there, it's just not feverish drive that most break through requires. The OP has desire, just not enough drive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem
Not enough monkeys at the moment

Last edited by TomSwitch,

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
A decompiled kernel is not guarateed to be 100% bug free. Some vulnerabilities may be hidden waiting for someone to notice them.
Security updates on FOSS are a thing.

Reactions: Unicorn4544

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A decompiled kernel is not guarateed to be 100% bug free. Some vulnerabilities may be hidden waiting for someone to notice them.
Security updates on FOSS are a thing.
True, but the code base of most open source projects, let alone the bsd/Linux kernel, is much bigger then the switches kernel and trust zone.
All this while multiple well known people from the scene put many hours in trying to find something exploitable, without success.
The chance for a future software only exploit might maybe not be 0% but it's damn near it.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
considering people would rather not have to mess with modchips makes your post illogical

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All this while multiple well known people from the scene
this really means nothing now just as it has meant nothing for past consoles where people kept spreading the same bullshit about how unhackable they were. history repeats itself time and time again. to believe its unhackable is to believe perfection exists

Reactions: Unicorn4544

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this really means nothing now just as it has meant nothing for past consoles where people kept spreading the same bullshit about how unhackable they were. history repeats itself time and time again. to believe its unhackable is to believe perfection exists
Didn't they say in multiverse 615 it was already hacked?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With enough time everything is absolutely crackable, either by brute force or quantum computers or better techniques or just dumb luck. I think the key part of the question is “is it worth waiting…” Since there is a workable solution in RCM (for V1) and Modchips for everything else, the amount of burning desire to bring about a software solution to emulate what we already have is simply not there to turn this around in a time that most people would consider “worth it.“ If you have a Switch I hope you’re enjoying it to the fullest using what’s available today. If something comes about in the future then great! Will be a great day for all. Just don’t miss out on what you have today, waiting for something that might come to be in an undefined time in the future.

Didn't they say in multiverse 615 it was already hacked?

LOL! That’s the spirit!

Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The switch isn't unhackable, and nobody says that, I mean you can already exploit the switch via modchip or via software exploit on older models and firmware versions.
What is being said here, is that the chance of a new software only exploit is near 0, because the attack surface is just that low.
This is the feedback of actually skilled people, that reimplemented the components we talk about, and are the people behind the only available software exploits for the switch and other systems, not some random people from youtube or on a forum.
So is it worth waiting for something that will probably not happen anytime soon, or maybe even never happen? No, not really.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The switch isn't unhackable, and nobody says that, I mean you can already exploit the switch via modchip or via software exploit on older models and firmware versions.
What is being said here, is that the chance of a new software only exploit is near 0, because the attack surface is just that low.
This is the feedback of actually skilled people, that reimplemented the components we talk about, and are the people behind the only available software exploits for the switch and other systems, not some random people from youtube or on a forum.
So is it worth waiting for something that will probably not happen anytime soon, or maybe even never happen? No, not really.
I've heard this mumbo jumbo constantly throughout the years everything you said is just a repeat of past generations. I'm not saying to wait but people need to learn sooner or later to stop with the rumination everytime a device hits a wall. this feels like the vita scene all over again

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've heard this mumbo jumbo constantly throughout the years everything you said is just a repeat of past generations. I'm not saying to wait but people need to learn sooner or later to stop with the rumination everytime a device hits a wall
I don't remember any generation where it was said from the hackers actually in the scene, especially not after that much access to and knowledge about the system was acquired. I mean we literately have full open source replacements for all the parts important to exploit for a cfw.
Also its hard to compare the switch os to other systems, where either a monolithic kernel is used (e.g. PS4, Linux, windows), or it ran mostly on bare metal (GC, Wii, nds), while the switch uses a relatively good designed micro kernel. The only thing in the console space you might be able to compare it to is the 3DS, since the switch os is a rewrite of the 3DS OS with the lessons learned from it applied. But I don't remember scene hackers saying the chance of a software exploit is near 0 for that one, especially not after hackers got a good grasp on the system.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't remember any generation where it was said from the hackers actually in the scene, especially not after that much access to and knowledge about the system was acquired. I mean we literately have full open source replacements for all the parts important to exploit for a cfw.
Also its hard to compare the switch os to other systems, where either a monolithic kernel is used (e.g. PS4, Linux, windows), or it ran mostly on bare metal (GC, Wii, nds), while the switch uses a relatively good designed micro kernel. The only thing in the console space you might be able to compare it to is the 3DS, since the switch os is a rewrite of the 3DS OS with the lessons learned from it applied. But I don't remember scene hackers saying the chance of a software exploit is near 0 for that one, especially not after hackers got a good grasp on the system.
why don't you look back and see how "unhackable" the vita was. and just about every other device. this is always a phase of hacking a device and it continues to repeat itself

Reactions: Ondrashek06

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright...? I guess?

I don't say they shouldn't answer, they can and it's their right.

But getting angry doesn't damage anyone but the person that got angry. Based on their comments, they got angry, and that's probably affecting their health, even if a little bit. If something bothers me that much, I ignore it and go on with my day.

Why start arguing with random internet strangers that are only ignoring what I say, even if they're wrong and I'm right?

Also, reporting posts/threads is a kind of response. Usually the best one because the user posting nonsense can be banned.

Some people just got mad he asked for sources. If asking for sources to you is someway to say « I don't believe you » then it's a you problem, because people not believing you right away is a good thing. It's absolutely healthy to doubt, obviously not always but as a newcomer on a forum ? Of course I would doubt what some random people would tell me, no matter their postcount. If you really are that more experienced, then you would explain the reason without any issue and it would have been+ done.
But no, peeps had to be like « oh but you think it's easy ? If you still don't believe it then do it yourself !! » and that's kinda pathetic to be honest.

And they didn't quote SciresM right away, you could have used an authority argument (I don't like those too much but in this case it would have done the job), but yeah sorry if SciresM is way more credible than anyone here. When he started doubting, his answers were « it never happened on the 360. Just do it yourself then » and impezza while explaining the reasoning just assumed OP wouldn't trust despite his explanation being fine, so it's just more passive aggressive shit.

I'm also done with this thread so I'll just mute, but some here have been dicks to the OP, and not searching on the forum isn't a really good reason to me. Just keep in mind that it's not because you're « more experienced » that everyone know you are, especially newcomers, and that these newcomers shouldn't satisfy your ego by not asking why you're thinking some way just because you have a higher postcount than theirs.
I only explained why people were testy. I have no comment on if they should be or not. I learned long ago not to get frustrated over the internet.

To steer the thread back OT, I would never advise the OP or anyone else wait for a software vulnerability. I've seen plenty of legitimate products promise to do something in a future update only for that something to never materialize. I would certainly never wait for an unannounced thing to come about. If you want a modded switch now, get a chip or an unpatched unit. If you don't like those two options wait patiently or do it yourself. No amount of asking about it will make it happen any faster if it happens at all.

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I only explained why people were testy. I have no comment on if they should be or not. I learned long ago not to get frustrated over the internet.

To steer the thread back OT, I would never advise the OP or anyone else wait for a software vulnerability. I've seen plenty of legitimate products promise to do something in a future update only for that something to never materialize. I would certainly never wait for an unannounced thing to come about. If you want a modded switch now, get a chip or an unpatched unit. If you don't like those two options wait patiently or do it yourself. No amount of asking about it will make it happen any faster if it happens at all.
I am patiently waiting, though periodically asking whether the methods are still either scouring the internet for rare units or the black market for modchips.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa...