Homebrew Is it even worth waiting for homebrew on a patched switch on 10.X.0?

BinaryBreaker_1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like I said, fine the exploit yourself, or install a modchip. those are your only choices. you're the one who's been a dick, and you're now on my ignore list, so find the answers to any console yourself.
I'm done here, you've gone aggressive & defensive for no reason. I don't know how a question that could essentially be answered with No, there are no new software exploits coming & no one has discovered any for years, it's unlikely a new one would be found soon. Turned into an aggressive debate on the security teams of Nintendo & Microsoft's security. I ask that anyone reading this, unless you have any unmentioned suggestions, should not reply.

Reactions: nWo

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm done here, you've gone aggressive & defensive for no reason. I don't know how a question that could essentially be answered with No, there are no new software exploits coming & no one has discovered any for years, it's unlikely a new one would be found soon. Turned into an aggressive debate on the security teams of Nintendo & Microsoft's security. I ask that anyone reading this, unless you have any unmentioned suggestions, should not reply.
I really don't get the aggresiveness of some users when questions like these are posted.

You didn't start demanding the exploit RIGHT NOW nor anything like that. So I don't get why people start so fast typing "fInD iT yOuRsElF, gEnIuS". That's not very cool.

Anyway, yeah, waiting for a software exploit is no advisable given the hardware exploit works great on pre-2018 units. It's not that hard to get an used one in eBay, although some people rise up their prices.

Software exploiting is hard. Not a lot of people is doing it right now because the hardware exploit is so easy and functional. Someone could find a software exploit tomorrow, or never. None knows. Also, we don't know how many devs are out there looking for a software exploit for sharing it with the community or for selling it to Nintendo through BountySource.

I'm sorry for the answers others posted being dicks when you really weren't demanding anything, like some other posts I've seen.

If you prefer hacking the OLED, get a Modchip, Atmosphere works no issue with modchips. Be aware, Android doesn't work because LineageOS hasn't been updated to work with Mariko. And I'm not sure about Linux.

I don't know much about modchip versions, unfortunately, but I know people get them from Aliexpress without many issues. Maybe you could search a thread about them, like this one: https://gbatemp.net/threads/comparison-of-modchips-on-the-market.609136/

Have a nice day.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go on Ebay or Amazon and find a 2018 switch model. If your desperate get a pre hacked one but they are probbably banned or have some sort of issue.
To sum up this thread your only waiting on yourself to do anything, unless you plan to learn how to solder chips. Thats pretty much the breakdown. Nintendo makes newer Switch models to make it harder for exploits.

Reactions: Kopimist

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
like I said, find the exploit yourself. what's so hard to understand? anyone is free to find an exploit. plus, didn't Nintendo have a software exploit on 4.1? even if a Mariko unit? same as xbox, so maybe it is good to compare the two.
His questions aren't stupid, you're just taking it the wrong way.
Obviously, when someone says that there's 99.99% chances that something will never get cracked, especially when it's as popular as the Nintendo Switch, it raises some questions, well at least one which is : why ? That's why he asked for the reasonning behind this.

Saying that the 360 never had any SW hack isn't really a response. If he was talking about emulation for example, talking about how a console like the 360 or whatever else (ik the 360 have some emulators but the point is that they don't run commercial games like RPCS3 do), doesn't have an emulator doesn't mean it's impossible to make one, it just means that no one wanted to take the time and means to do that.

To answer to OP :
It's very unlikely because it seems that there's is little interest to seek for one. Simple as that. The scene at the moment isn't as « popular » as it once was when the console wasn't that old. Maybe it'll happen, but there are no news or infos that are pointing at something that could be exploited, or that even someone is working on that, afaik.
So either you wait a few years to maybe have a chance to SW exploit, but it could never happen, or go get a modchip and pay someone to install it to your console if you can't do it yourself.

Reactions: Unicorn4544

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The reason why Switch got an exploit in the first place wasn't even because of Nintendo. It was left over from the Tegra X1's RCM (ReCovery Mode), which was fully documented and made public by Nvidia for people using their Nvidia Shield TV and needed a means to recover from possible problems.

Bricked

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the dev of atmosphere, the only cfw for the switch (not counting forks with slight tweaks and aio repacks of atmosphere)

Post in thread 'Mariko revision. Does nobody care about hacking these?' https://gbatemp.net/threads/mariko-revision-does-nobody-care-about-hacking-these.583374/post-9383536

The above is the only useful response in this thread, funny how all subsequent posters ignored it and put forward their own random theories.

See here for further context OP: https://gbatemp.net/threads/when-do...ill-finally-be-exploited.611891/#post-9818978

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The above is the only useful response in this thread, funny how all subsequent posters ignored it and put forward their own random theories.

See here for further context OP: https://gbatemp.net/threads/when-do...ill-finally-be-exploited.611891/#post-9818978
except it's a worthy question. if you want an exploit for the latest firmware or something, find it yourself. if you don't have the skills, then don't bitch about it. devs work on their own time, sometimes never playing games, to make things free and easy for even the stupidest of people. yet, people still fuck things up. this is why devs quit, the complaining, the entitlement. that's why I haven't really replied to many switch questions. I don't pretend to be an expert, like some people, just because I read a bunch of shit. if I'm going to dispense advice, I'd like to have some experience with it. I sold off my unpatched system, because I no longer care about the scenes. as silent as I've been with the switch, I'll be just as silent with the ps5 and every subsequent system, because a small minority thinks they know what's going on, attack devs and people like me just for not producing or helping with piracy faster. these people are true pos, and they should be ran out of the scenes. they don't help in any way, and because I've invested as much as I have, and some people and sites treat me like shit, there's not a day that goes by where I don't think of quitting. I might exploit a future console, but I'll certainly not help anyone the likes of you with it. as systems get more and more difficult to do things with, you'd think such people would be relieved that others actually cared. this isn't the ps3 or the wii anymore.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, I'm talking about some people on another site specifically.

Twas joking, man. 🙃 Tryna lighten the mood.

I think @HalfScoper was right…

I’m getting Ondrashek06 kinda vibes.

30F43B59-C5B7-4B3A-B6C9-686DE6BE14B2.jpeg

Bricked

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
except it's a worthy question. if you want an exploit for the latest firmware or something, find it yourself. if you don't have the skills, then don't bitch about it. devs work on their own time, sometimes never playing games, to make things free and easy for even the stupidest of people. yet, people still fuck things up. this is why devs quit, the complaining, the entitlement. that's why I haven't really replied to many switch questions. I don't pretend to be an expert, like some people, just because I read a bunch of shit. if I'm going to dispense advice, I'd like to have some experience with it. I sold off my unpatched system, because I no longer care about the scenes. as silent as I've been with the switch, I'll be just as silent with the ps5 and every subsequent system, because a small minority thinks they know what's going on, attack devs and people like me just for not producing or helping with piracy faster. these people are true pos, and they should be ran out of the scenes. they don't help in any way, and because I've invested as much as I have, and some people and sites treat me like shit, there's not a day that goes by where I don't think of quitting. I might exploit a future console, but I'll certainly not help anyone the likes of you with it. as systems get more and more difficult to do things with, you'd think such people would be relieved that others actually cared. this isn't the ps3 or the wii anymore.

I'm not the OP. Otherwise I have no idea why you replied to me with this incoherent, barely legible and nonsensical rambling?

Heyyyyyyyy…are you threatening me? LOL 🤣

In all seriousness though, maybe they will believe SciresM?

SciresM gbatemp posts were cited twice just above...

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not the OP. Otherwise I have no idea why you replied to me with this incoherent, barely legible and nonsensical rambling?

SciresM gbatemp posts were cited twice just above...
I'll make this as succinctly as possible: you're an idiot. do you understand that at least? btw, something else I hope you understand is that you're now on my ignore list.

Reactions: impeeza

Bricked

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like I said, fine the exploit yourself, or install a modchip. those are your only choices. you're the one who's been a dick, and you're now on my ignore list, so find the answers to any console yourself.

I have @HalfScoper on my ignore list, so he must be a fuck up somewhere.

I'll make this as succinctly as possible: you're an idiot. do you understand that at least? btw, something else I hope you understand is that you're now on my ignore list.

Is this person ok?

...and that's just this short thread. What a champion!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont care if people will hate or ingore me but godreborn.......should calm the hell down. why so rude? whats ur problem?
you want to know what my problem is? it's my birthday, and people are treating me like shit. I don't need this at any time, especially now. I may not be the most knowledgeable, but you won't find someone more dedicated. I go out of my way for people, compiling shit, testing games, risking my own systems trying to do something dangerous, just for the sake of knowledge, and it's not for me, it's for each and every one of you.

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I CAN'T BELIEVE Nintendo is using the "SUPER VULNERABLE" FreeBSD kernel, a kernel that has existed for DECADES & still has new vulnerabilities TO THIS DAY.
Just to make it clear, the switch is not using the freebsd kernel, that some missinformtion that doesn't want to disapear.
The switch uses a custom kernel and os, that's a rewrite of the 3DS os, with all the lessons learned from the 3DS applied to it.
The codebase of the parts with the most privilages (kernel/trustzone) is kept as small as possible, resulting in a codebase that devs can understand completelly, resulting in less bugs.
For CFW we would need to have access to at least the kernel, better the trustzone, so with probably no exploitable bugs in there, there is no way outside of modchips to exploit newer switches.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think I did then it broke a few months later
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Used it as a web cam for a day for fun, sooo shitty it was hilarious
    I had two Ken one regular black one and a silver special edition one lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Speaking of old stuff those green og Logitech Xbox controllers still being listed around $100
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    eyetoy was fun yeah
    super basic, but the minigames were well designed
    i'm sure there's at least 1 emulator out there that works with it
    I had the PS3 one too and The Eye of Judgement game lol was ass
    i had eye toy play on ps2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microsoft ruined it with kinect
    @The Real Jdbye, PCSX2 works with any web cam and emulates the EyeToy with it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember mic support for the n64 being janky
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Emulation wise
    I had a kinnect.... It blew rotting goat balls
    Ken amazingly DraStic microphone support works better than real hardware lol
    On a phone of course
    Also touch is better.... Well at least better than the launch DS, the lite one improved that a ton
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Touch
    +1
    I really need to dig out my USB Wii sensor bar and experiment with Wii emulation and synching Wii remotes with BT lol
    Sort of redundant since I have a Wii lol
    With HDMI lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I also have a Wii
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tomorrow be may 4th
    Getting Wiid from Street Pharmacist Mario?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    1tb SD card for whatever reason
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 1tb SD card for whatever reason