is it possible to create a softmod for the xbox 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacmeyers1229

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's how I would softmod a 360.
Please note I don't know how to softmod a 360.

So first I would find a really buggy game that was officially released. Maybe a sports game or a Kinect Game. Then I would figure out how to spoof a save file, without pissing off the hypervisor. Then use the hacked save to load a jailbreak software off a local server or something. The likelyhood of Microsoft or the dev patching the game is low and an update isn't impossible but unlikely

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Here's how I would softmod a 360.
Please note I don't know how to softmod a 360.

So first I would find a really buggy game that was officially released. Maybe a sports game or a Kinect Game. Then I would figure out how to spoof a save file, without pissing off the hypervisor. Then use the hacked save to load a jailbreak software off a local server or something. The likelyhood of Microsoft or the dev patching the game is low and an update isn't impossible but unlikely

There's already one game that does something similar to that and that's the King Kong game from 2005 or 2006 (the one from the film) and requires your 360 to be on 4548 or lower.
To date we haven't been able to replicate such a thing and likely won't be, the 360 is pretty secure from a software point of view.

ISO-Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know the advancement of the internet, hacking/cracking has become much more complex and involved. Chips use to hold the security card on devices (like arcade PCB's) , With the internet, devices now verifies security from a server making it harder to spoof the device. I use to enjoy the challenge of retrieving keys from chips and finding the security sectors in games, but the remote key/validation servers killed the fun (not to mention I'm outdated too). Not sure about the modern fuses, but older chips had 'fuses' that you had to peel layers to get pass the 'fuse' to get the key.

Exploits I have very limited knowledge to, but for a Softmod... that would be the answer. As others stated, it's been researched for over a decade and with interest moving on to new adventures, the likelihood would be slim in finding one now. I applaud anyone who still tries though.

Thanks,
ISO-Man

trimesh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I know the advancement of the internet, hacking/cracking has become much more complex and involved. Chips use to hold the security card on devices (like arcade PCB's) , With the internet, devices now verifies security from a server making it harder to spoof the device. I use to enjoy the challenge of retrieving keys from chips and finding the security sectors in games, but the remote key/validation servers killed the fun (not to mention I'm outdated too). Not sure about the modern fuses, but older chips had 'fuses' that you had to peel layers to get pass the 'fuse' to get the key.

Exploits I have very limited knowledge to, but for a Softmod... that would be the answer. As others stated, it's been researched for over a decade and with interest moving on to new adventures, the likelihood would be slim in finding one now. I applaud anyone who still tries though.

Thanks,
ISO-Man

The biggest problem with hacking the 360 is that it uses a hypervisor and to date there has only been a single exploitable error detected in it, which was only present in two very early builds (introduced in build #4532, still present in build #4548 and fixed in build #4552) - which is why every subsequent 360 hack basically comes down to a method of tricking the console into running one of these (officially revoked) versions.

If you have a later version with a fixed hypervisor then userland exploits don't help very much because even if you manage to get complete control of the user CPU you still can't run unsigned code because the hypervisor prohibits it. Effectively you have to break the chain of trust before the hypervisor gets control because one it does it prevents you from doing anything interesting.

Daniels_-_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
there are many kinect games, or 360 indie games that can be tested, and some information can be extracted from them and some kind of bug can be found in order to hack the console through a game error, and also implement a hack. hopefully get over doing it. gentlemen who knows try. it costs them nothing. just take off the laziness.

Daniels_-_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Notice that this topic that I opened. it is the most viewed, almost 10k people interested in seeing if it can be done or not in the middle of 2022, imagine now if this comes out on yt. Gentlemen, there are still people who want and need it. xbox 360 is not dead. still alive!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Notice that this topic that I opened. it is the most viewed, almost 10k people interested in seeing if it can be done or not in the middle of 2022, imagine now if this comes out on yt. Gentlemen, there are still people who want and need it. xbox 360 is not dead. still alive!
There's already a hack, quit being lazy.

Daniels_-_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
friend, who said laziness? Do you think that a 9-year-old boy will disassemble his Xbox solder and see 30m of pure steps? no friend, what a weird mind of yours hahahaha. what I say is you have to look for something simple not everyone is like you understand it

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
friend, who said laziness? Do you think that a 9-year-old boy will disassemble his Xbox solder and see 30m of pure steps? no friend, what a weird mind of yours hahahaha. what I say is you have to look for something simple not everyone is like you understand it
you want something simple?? then modding your console isnt for you PERIOD!:teach:

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hacking an Xbox 360 purely for piracy doesn't seem to offer much of an advantage, especially when the games digitally and physically are so cheap.

Xbox used DVDs so even for backing up movies, it's not of much use. PS3 was/is for backing up Blu-rays (I never bothered buying a Blu-ray Reader for PC as I ever hardly had any BDs to make it worth it).

you want something simple?? then modding your console isnt for you PERIOD!:teach:

If he wants simple, grab a PS3 40GB/60GB/80GB and he can have a CFW installed in a matter of a few minutes.

Reactions: godreborn

flo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
There isn't a full softmod solution out there , maybe some tricks with digital games or XBLA . Like any console , there is public info and private info . Even for public info no one will explain to you how to link information A with information B . So , it's an equation that can not be solved at this moment .

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think we've established the fact that creating a softmod for the 360 isn't as easy as people think it is.

As of the time of writing, there's no softmod for the 360 aside from drive flashing.
Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol