Hacking is there a way to fix this (hdd showing this message on boot.) read down below!

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
it used to work just fine, now out of nowhere i decide to turn on my wii u and i get this message "You have connected a USB Storage device that has not been setup for use with this console. Do you want to format the device so that it can be used with this console"

my games do NOT list anymore!
how do i fix this.. i had it plugged in to my pc earlier and it would just not be detected, i hardly even remember how i had my wii u games installed to be honest hahaa.

it was the brazilian method thing (i have cbhc installed on my wiiu) and well one more thing when i open disk manager to list devices i see the hdd listed but it says 'unallocated' and i cant change the drive letters , and well what do i do now?

lastly is it supposed to be MBR or GPT , hope someone can help me fix this, thanks in advance!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
lastly is it supposed to be MBR or GPT
Neither, it is "partitioned" superfloppy style (no partition table, the entire disk is used as a partition) - and even if it had a standard partition table, it wouldn't be very helpful to know due to the literally full disk encryption

Clearly something got damaged and the console doesn't recognize the filesystem anymore - and/or the encryption key was changed (apart from the obvious system transfer, factory reset, or manual rekeying - could the disk's or its USB adapter have changed identification?)

Reactions: leonmagnus99
D

Deleted User

it used to work just fine, now out of nowhere i decide to turn on my wii u and i get this message "You have connected a USB Storage device that has not been setup for use with this console. Do you want to format the device so that it can be used with this console"

how do i fix this.. i had it plugged in to my pc earlier and it would just not be detected, i hardly even remember how i had my wii u games installed to be honest hahaa.

it was the brazilian method thing (i have cbhc installed on my wiiu) and well one more thing when i open disk manager to list devices i see the hdd listed but it says 'unallocated' and i cant change the drive letters , and well what do i do now?

lastly is it supposed to be MBR or GPT , hope someone can help me fix this, thanks in advance!
did it work previously? (i know you have been using it lately) but if it indeed worked, tell me the brand

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
did it work previously? (i know you have been using it lately) but if it indeed worked, tell me the brand
the hdd is from a ps4 i had previously, i believe it is a seagate brand and i have enclosed it in a casing for ext hdd usage.

and i use a Y cable with it, and yes it used to work for couple of years now.
the led of the hdd still blinks on no issues there, not sure what messed this up!!!

edit: i actually thought i had placed my wii games on this but i think i did not? not sure, BUT i had some wii games installed and they appeared on my WiiU Home screen!
i thought i had this thing formatted to WBFS but i dont think i ever did, but i did use the brazilian method.

i think iirc. it used to work like this *only my wii u would be able to read this hdd* and installing wiiu games i did it through some app called wup installer? put wii u games on sd and installed.

Last edited by leonmagnus99,
D

Deleted User

the hdd is from a ps4 i had previously, i believe it is a seagate brand and i have enclosed it in a casing for ext hdd usage.

and i use a Y cable with it, and yes it used to work for couple of years now.
the led of the hdd still blinks on no issues there, not sure what messed this up!!!
that is why your games and partition got deleted. seagate is just trash, same thing happened to me about 1 year ago.

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
that is why your games and partition got deleted. seagate is just trash, same thing happened to me about 1 year ago.
damn , for real?
Dx hot damn!

i will open the casing now to check if it is seagate or that other brand ps4's use, i think called HGT? not sure i will check now.

edit: checked just now and it is indeed a seagate Q.Q it says Samsung and under it a little says something like by seagate technology.
damn. @Missingphy

man i have no idea what wii u games i had on it anymore, there werent too many but it will be a hassle to dl them again (as i had no backup of any of those games!)
and other than that , are my saves screwed?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Neither, it is "partitioned" superfloppy style (no partition table, the entire disk is used as a partition) - and even if it had a standard partition table, it wouldn't be very helpful to know due to the literally full disk encryption

Clearly something got damaged and the console doesn't recognize the filesystem anymore - and/or the encryption key was changed (apart from the obvious system transfer, factory reset, or manual rekeying - could the disk's or its USB adapter have changed identification?)
thx , so i think it doesnt matter if i selected 'convert to mbr' if it was gpt? i have no idea what it was at first, i think gpt?

D

Deleted User

damn , for real?
Dx hot damn!

i will open the casing now to check if it is seagate or that other brand ps4's use, i think called HGT? not sure i will check now.

edit: checked just now and it is indeed a seagate Q.Q it says Samsung and under it a little says something like by seagate technology.
damn. @Missingphy

man i have no idea what wii u games i had on it anymore, there werent too many but it will be a hassle to dl them again (as i had no backup of any of those games!)

thx , so i think it doesnt matter if i selected 'convert to mbr' if it was gpt? i have no idea what it was at first, i think gpt?
the saves that were on your hard drive? yes. the nand saves are safe

damn , for real?
Dx hot damn!

damn. @Missingphy

those stuff only matters with sd cards. i havent ever bothered with changing mbr or gpt

this drive is great for wii u games:
and this one is great for nintendont and usbloader gx:
to use any of these drives, you need a y cable, which you may have already unless your drive was self powered:
and both drives come in different sizes and colors

Last edited by ,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
By creating a MBR partition table, you overwrite the first sector - by creating a GPT one you overwrite a relatively large amount of them (order of megabytes) at both ends

"It doesn't matter" only because the WiiU is going to reformat it in neither of the two, but by creating a partition table you definitely damaged WiiU filesystem structures

Reactions: Deleted User

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
By creating a MBR partition table, you overwrite the first sector - by creating a GPT one you overwrite a relatively large amount of them (order of megabytes) at both ends

"It doesn't matter" only because the WiiU is going to reformat it in neither of the two, but by creating a partition table you definitely damaged WiiU filesystem structures
i didnt create any partition table , i just clicked convert to see if it then would show up on my laptop somehow/or if it would then work again on my wiiu.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i didnt create any partition table , i just clicked convert to see if it then would show up on my laptop somehow/or if it would then work again on my wiiu.
If you successfully did a conversion (and you say it's displayed as "unallocated") it created a partition table (for example unpartitioned to mbr creates an empty mbr partition table, which you can then use to allocate partitions), else it would say "not initialized"

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
If you successfully did a conversion (and you say it's displayed as "unallocated") it created a partition table (for example unpartitioned to mbr creates an empty mbr partition table, which you can then use to allocate partitions), else it would say "not initialized"
i see, but it was showing "unallocated" even before i clicked on convert.
so..? hmmm

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
@Ryccardo @Missingphy

i actually just now went through "create simple volume" thing in disk manager (without formatting the hdd)
and now it shows up like it would use to with the message "you need to format this hdd" when i plug it in my laptop.

so i thought it would now be working on my wiiu, but nope still says the same message "You have connected a USB Storage device that has not been setup"

quite annoying, also it shows RAW on the hdd , what is that mean?

damn, i think i will just format this shit ._.

also thx for the info.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're probably going to have to re-format it on the Wii U and lose everything on it.

Raw is not a format it means it needs to be formatted.

D

Deleted User

@Ryccardo @Missingphy

i actually just now went through "create simple volume" thing in disk manager (without formatting the hdd)
and now it shows up like it would use to with the message "you need to format this hdd" when i plug it in my laptop.

so i thought it would now be working on my wiiu, but nope still says the same message "You have connected a USB Storage device that has not been setup"

quite annoying, also it shows RAW on the hdd , what is that mean?

damn, i think i will just format this shit ._.

also thx for the info.
it will work... for an instance before all of your games disappear again sorry

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
it will work... for an instance before all of your games disappear again sorry
yeah i actually had this before , games disappearing, and a simple reboot/unplug replug of the hdd usually fixed it for me.
it worked like this for 2years now ._.

@Missingphy or i could just install the few games i want on the internal nand of the wii u , that would work too im guessing.
wouldnt need a usb hdd that way anymore either.
i'll see how it goes.

D

Deleted User

yeah i actually had this before , games disappearing, and a simple reboot/unplug replug of the hdd usually fixed it for me.
it worked like this for 2years now ._.

@Missingphy or i could just install the few games i want on the internal nand of the wii u , that would work too im guessing.
wouldnt need a usb hdd that way anymore either.
i'll see how it goes.
i wouldnt do that if i were you... i install all of my games on hdd because if they are corrupted, the console bricks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!