Hacking Homebrew Homebrew app Is there a way to use homebrew to bring any Non-YouTube video apps (Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu) back to the Wii U?

jason_maxym

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have all the video apps they released for Wii U (afaik) and except for youtube, none of the other ones seem to have things that can bring them back to full functionality. Is there a way to do this or because of what would be licensing issues is it impossible?

Nukatha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Is it possible to make a turing-complete machine do X'? Well, yes.
"Is it practical?"
How good is your knowledge of PowerPC 750 machine code?

Reactions: leejaclane

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have all the video apps they released for Wii U (afaik) and except for youtube, none of the other ones seem to have things that can bring them back to full functionality. Is there a way to do this or because of what would be licensing issues is it impossible?
They're no longer support. If you just want to watch stuff for free. Just use your phone, there are plenty of apps to do that already.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to do this or because of what would be licensing issues is it impossible?

The Wii U uses H.264 (AVC) for video, streaming services have been progressively moving to the AV1 codec and they eventually drop support for older codecs in favor of more efficient ones that take up less storage space and bandwidth. The only way those apps would work is if Nintendo updated the Wii U to also support newer codecs through software but that's not going to happen.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Forget the other replies except the one mentioning PPC 750 assembly.

The thing is not about codecs, it's not about how powerfull the Wii U is, it's all about DRM. All the big players you mentioned are using widevine DRM by google. This widevine module the Wii U had back in the days is no longer supported from googles end (cause, you know, DRM, so the slightest bug means it looses support). To revive this we need a PowerPC compatible widevine module from google.

I thought no such module exists for a long time but have been proven wrong. There are indeed other PPC based consoles which have working Netflix & Co support today. So what one would need to do is to take such a module from another console, then write wrappers for that other consoles APIs to the Wii Us APIs. That alone is all other than simple but it's not all: The PPC used in the Wii U is a (modified) PPC 750, so code for more modern PowerPCs won't run. That's what we call ABI compatibility and so far I'm just assuming/hoping these other consoles are ABI compatible, else you can forget this project completely cause emulating CPU functions for such a beast like widevine DRM would be too slow.

AV1 codec
Even if the Wii U wouldn't have a hardware decoder for that the Wii Us CPU is powerfull enough to decode this in 1080p in software. All of this assumes the big players wouldn't still stream h264 for legacy devices but they do this, so this really, really isn't about codecs.

Reactions: leejaclane

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell, every response here has merit, just not every one explains why to OP it's not going to happen. But again, each respone is correct, from the technical reasons to why it will never happen, to those telling you to just watch the content elsewhere, to the posts saying it's never going to happen, even if technically it could happen if you had all the tools and resources at your disposal (but you would never get all those tools and resources that you'd need, so again, it's never going to happen).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not even once, but 100's of times
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My girlfriend at the time, she had me stay up with her all night because some how the crazy bitch had spent like 12 hours snorting 2 8 balls, didn't use any water (gotta clean your nose) so she had so much crusted in her nose I was sure she was gonna blow up her heart. I mean this was the stuff right off the boat so absolutely pure. ugghh so annoying
    Also doing like 320 dollars worth of coke in half a day lol damn it
    hmmm 360 even lol
    Well I was getting a discount so 320 is probably right
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That is cheap, I used to pay $100 for a tine.
    Tine? One gram?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sixteenth
    Also it was literally out of a kilo when I got it off the boat so absolutely pure
    Holy shiz that's a lot
    +1
    I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd be afraid to it nowdays, my heart would explode prob. I just stick beers n buds nowdays.
    I would get to drive from tarpon springs to like Miami a thousand bucks lol do that twice a week and back in 92 that was good money
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    @Psionic Roshambo what are you guys talking about?
    Blew it on women and muscle cars lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty Hamster food, its pricey nowadays to keep PCs running.
    +2
    I don't do anything except cigarettes and gotta stop eventually lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd do shrooms again if could find, and I was outside camping/fishing, and had a cooler full of beer.
    +1
    I wouldn't mind some LSD, laughing until my face hurt sounds fun lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You ever try soaper powder/qauludes? I did once and like a dumbass drank beer on top of taking, I woke up laying in my backyard in the pouring rain, it knocked me out. I have not seen it around in many many years.
    +1
    No never tried a lot of things but never that lol
    I did pass out one time on a floor after taking a bunch of Ambien lol thought it would help me sleep and did it lol
    Girlfriend was working at a pharmacy and stole like 500 of them, was and still is the biggest pill bottle I have ever seen lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Girlfriend was working at a pharmacy and stole like 500 of them, was and still is the biggest...