Hacking Discussion Isn't anyone else here SERIOUSLY concerned for Nintendo or indie devs?

Do you yhink we should just stop already?

• We need to stop

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • We don't need to stop

Votes: 137 56.8%
  • NINTENDO MUST SUFFER

Votes: 42 17.4%
  • oof that spelling error

Votes: 42 17.4%

• Total voters

WaveSmash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We can tell they are worried and paying close attention. They really should be. Every console can EASILY run Homebrew applications and soon backups or a freeShop situation. Hell I used a paperclip to get into RCM. It's been happening since the Wii and shows no sign of stopping. I don't think Rei should release that XCI dumper/installer. It's a stupid slippery slope that could seriously harm Nintendo.

CONSIDER THIS
The Switch is currently in it's prime. The old consoles didn't get open piracy or real Homebrew development until well into their overall lifespan. The Switch is getting it NOW. Only 2 years in. Most sales will be made around this time and most switch owners will be looking into Homebrew if it's so widespread and so stupidly easy to pull off.

Last edited by WaveSmash,

WaveSmash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe 10,000 pirates, who weren't going to buy a game anyways, compared to 18,000,000 switches sold, its not a drop in the bucket to them.
I like to think the same way, but consider how easy it is. 10,000 isn't a realistic number of possible pirates.

D

Deleted-442439

Well this thread is going to be a mess....

Piracy has been a thing since the video games inseption and although it is a issue, the reports on the topic show little impact on companies.

Anti piracy measures are getting more advanced all the time, just from Wii U to Switch we have seen several mitigations against it, I would not worry that much.

WaveSmash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
piracy didn't harm nintendo in the wii/wii u/3ds eras, what makes you think that this will be any different?
Because it's SUPER easy, and right now is the Switch's PRIME. Most sales are from launch to only a year or two from now. Those consoles took until nearly the end of their lifetimes to get cracked into the same way.

APartOfMe

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this thread is going to be a mess....

Piracy has been a thing since the video games inseption and although it is a issue, the reports on the topic show little impact on companies.

Anti piracy measures are getting more advanced all the time, just from Wii U to Switch we have seen several mitigations against it, I would not worry that much.
^ this. piracy's been an issue since the beginning. Especially considering how large of a company ninty is, i doubt nintendo will be effected by piracy

D

Deleted-442439

Because it's SUPER easy, and right now is the Switch's PRIME. Most sales are from launch to only a year or two from now. Those consoles took until nearly the end of their lifetimes to get cracked into the same way.

Ehm no, Gateway was released in 2014, in the 3DS's prime, and loadliine was a thing on the Wii U very early. They arguably had easier methods of execution compared to getting into RCM on Switch.

As a indie dev myself (not for Switch obviously) I am not very worried, most end users will purchase cheap indie tiles, it's usually the more expensive $60 that get pirated.

Last edited by ,

APartOfMe

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so? a sale is a sale. Nintendo would earn the same amount of money whether you bought a game now or 3 years from now. The time that people pirate games wont effect anything. Even if 1% of people pirate games, that's not going to effect nintendo

WaveSmash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh dear god. Do some research on this damn topic. It's been rehashed and reiterated so many god damned times. PIRACY DOESN'T HURT CONSOLE SALES.
I'm talking about game sales. Consoles will sell well or even better with piracy. But you can buy a Switch for $300 and pirate 1000's+ worth of games.

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
We can tell they are worried and paying close attention. They really should be. Every console can EASILY run Homebrew applications and soon backups or a freeShop situation. Hell I used a paperclip to get into RCM. It's been happening since the Wii and shows no sign of stopping. I don't think Rei should release that XCI dumper/installer. It's a stupid slippery slope that could seriously harm Nintendo.
I'm not worried for Nintendo. Only about 1-2% of the world pirates anything. Whether that be video games, music, movies, etc... Content and hardware providers want you to think otherwise since they are greedy, filthy, human beings like the rest of use. The reason why it's only 1-2% is because it usually takes a high, to advanced knowledge of computers to hack anything in the world. 99% of the population doesn't even know the difference between a .exe file and a .rar file. Even very well layed out turorials are more trouble than it's worth for 99% of the population. Nintendo made about 1.2 billion in profit last year. Let's be liberal and say that 2% of switches and associated games will be pirated by the aformentioned very few. 2% of $1.2 billion is $25 million. Another perspective is to imagine that you have $100 in your pocket. Is it the end of the world, and the demise of your finacial situation if you lose $2, and only have $98 at the end of the day? Sure Nintendo should work hard to secure their systems, and maximize profit. But, if a system is broken wide open for piracy, the losses to Nintendo are practically negligeable. Oh, and of course the same numbers apply to game developers as well. So, in the end, don't lose any sleep over it, and enjoy the fact that you have a certain knowledge that 99% of the population does not have.

WaveSmash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so? a sale is a sale. Nintendo would earn the same amount of money whether you bought a game now or 3 years from now. The time that people pirate games wont effect anything. Even if 1% of people pirate games, that's not going to effect nintendo
By that I mean it's easy and will spread WAY faster. Resulting in more pirated copies by orders of magnitude.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I'm talking about game sales. Consoles will sell well or even better with piracy. But you can buy a Switch for $300 and pirate 1000's+ worth of games.

No, Nintendo won't suffer. No, game devs won't suffer. If the game is worth anything, it'll sell. The 3DS with Pokemon is great example of this.

APartOfMe

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
let's be honest here. If I'm going to pirate a game, i probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure::unsure::unsure: Come to think of it, I might make 🌭 for lunch today. A change of pace...