Hacking Discussion Isn't anyone else here SERIOUSLY concerned for Nintendo or indie devs?

Do you yhink we should just stop already?

• We need to stop

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • We don't need to stop

Votes: 137 56.8%
  • NINTENDO MUST SUFFER

Votes: 42 17.4%
  • oof that spelling error

Votes: 42 17.4%

• Total voters

luan43

Trophies
XP
Country
i am so concerned that i have an 125 gig sd card filled with their games ready to try them all out once the damn dongle gets here.
too be fair i have bought alot of switch games and most of them were indies, stardew comes to mind as the perfect fit for the switch.
i tend to keep buying games that i pirate to try them out unless of course nintendo bans me some how.

Reactions: Albytrozz

WaveSmash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
true. but when someone pirates something, they're not taking anything physical, digital games don't cost anything. Nintendo doesn't lose any money from this, therefore, i'm not all that concerned about all this
I fully agree with you, and I'm on your side. But one of my friends is super mad at me about it. So I'm just looking for other opinions. I think piracy is ultimately a bad thing, but nearly harmless in the long-run.

Reactions: APartOfMe
D

Deleted-442439

I'm talking about game sales. Consoles will sell well or even better with piracy. But you can buy a Switch for $300 and pirate 1000's+ worth of games.

Software sales on Switch are above average to put it mildly, sales performance for Eshop titles compared to other systems are exceptional.

If you are a 5 man team, and develop a game on a rather small budget the entire team will be millionaires after a Eshop release if profits are split equally. If a title sells ok, you could be looking at 100 000 sales, the average price of a indie game is somewhere around $10, that leaves 10M in profits. After taxes, wages and other expenses are taken into consideration you will easily be left with half of that.

A few pirates are not going to make any indies bankrupt.

Last edited by ,

Enryx25

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is it wrong if I only pirate games I would never buy? Like indies and third party games. I'm only going to buy exclusives. (Like Odyssey, Hyrule Warriors and Octopath)

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We can tell they are worried and paying close attention. They really should be. Every console can EASILY run Homebrew applications and soon backups or a freeShop situation. Hell I used a paperclip to get into RCM. It's been happening since the Wii and shows no sign of stopping. I don't think Rei should release that XCI dumper/installer. It's a stupid slippery slope that could seriously harm Nintendo.

CONSIDER THIS
The Switch is currently in it's prime. The old consoles didn't get open piracy or real Homebrew development until well into their overall lifespan. The Switch is getting it NOW. Only 2 years in. Most sales will be made around this time and most switch owners will be looking into Homebrew if it's so widespread and so stupidly easy to pull off.

When will you kids learn, companies are NOT your friends!! They see you as a walking wallet and NOTHING more, it's time you face that fact. I'm not saying the Devs are necessarily greedy, but they are still getting paid the same no matter what... it's Nintendo that loses out on trying to get another $70 out of a $15 game...

jramirex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Used game sales hurt developers more than piracy. That is why we are seeing a bigger push on digital only. But piracy isn't really a costumer lost, that person wasn't going to buy the game to begin with. Although in some cases, that pirate loves the game so much he ends up buying the game.

So no, Indies and everyone else is fine. Fuck EA tho, I hope they go bankrupt soon

WaveSmash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When will you kids learn, companies are NOT your friends!! They see you as a walking wallet and NOTHING more, it's time you face that fact. I'm not saying the Devs are necessarily greedy, but they are still getting paid the same no matter what... it's Nintendo that loses out on trying to get another $70 out of a $15 game...
It costs millions to develop any title Nintendo makes these days. Always.

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It costs millions to develop any title Nintendo makes these days. Always.

I agree that it costs a lot to make games but there is no excuse for every game that is on another console to be at least $10 more on Switch, and they barely had ANY sales until the last few weeks, and even then it's like $2 off $130 NBA 2K18... so in the most polite terms I can express, Scaaaa-reewwww Nintendo's investors...

And to be honest I'm still pissed (PISSED!!) that I had to buy Minecraft for my 8th console for $10 more than anywhere else and it NEVER went on sale.... it's personal now.

Last edited by Albytrozz,

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They have the Mariko revision hitting shelves soon I'm sure, doesn't really matter beyond that. Online bans will hit Pokemon/Smash fans hard, too.

Considering the lengths they went to prevent GPS spoofing for Pokemon Go (like US military grade protections) and how they want you to take their eSports seriously (lol) I'm sure you are very right....

lukhart

GBAtemp Stand User
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Concerned for Nintendo? A switch game here goes for no less than $80, even indies like rocket league. If I'm concerned about something it's my wallet. I'll buy what I can buy and gladly pirate the rest, no hard feelings for stealing some bucks from a company that doesn't support my country.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
piracy is more fine than ever before, %99.999 of users wont even consider it due to the extremely large risk of being banned from online play. online was never a big selling point in any previous nintendo consoles.
i think it will have less piracy than ds, 3ds or wii u even if it is easier. and quite a few pirates will probably realize they screwed up and buy a second switch to play the games they really want online anyways.

WaveSmash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree that it costs a lot to make games but there is no excuse for every game that is on another console to be at least $10 more on Switch, and they barely had ANY sales until the last few weeks, and even then it's like $2 off $130 NBA 2K18... so in the most polite terms I can express, Scaaaa-reewwww Nintendo's investors...

And to be honest I'm still pissed (PISSED!!) that I had to buy Minecraft for my 8th console for $10 more than anywhere else and it NEVER went on sale.... it's personal now.
.... You aren't held at gunpoint to buy anything.

Mcall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly feel like most people here wouldn't buy the games anyways or just buy them used so I don't see it making too much of a difference as long as it doesn't become super easy for the mainstream to do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/xTMahZFtzeg?si=XLWqteD42-g6dts9