Japanese Site Nikkei Reports Nintendo Ceasing Wii U production by the end of the year

hero-1.jpg

Breaking news has come from Japanese site Nikkei;

According to Nikkei, Wii U accessories have already ceased production and the report states Wii U systems will soon follow suit, at the end of 2016. This is currently a rumor and will be updated as information comes out.

:arrow: SOURCE

Last edited by Chary,

fischermasamune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think part of the confusion is that we expect something to replace the 3DS and another for the Wii U. We don't know if they are the same, and whether the leaks (for example, the oval controller, if not fake) refer to one or another. I remain skeptical until the official announcement of their new console or new handheld this E3.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

That won't be an issue if the NX controller rumours are true. Ugh ....
It's fake apparently so not worth thinking about its (extremely restrictive) possibilities.

Besides, here are two reasons why it still wouldn't work:
1) No physical buttons.
2) Lack of digital triggers and shoulder buttons.

It would have sucked. Period.

Zabhahs

Goron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When did they get it wrong before? Earlier this after for another conversation I had a quick look for other things Nintendo has dismissed until 2 weeks later when it turned out to be true (the no DSi, 3ds XL and some of the n3ds stuff for example) and Nikkei was cited as a source for several of them. Even a stopped clock and all that so if they constantly publish rumours then some are bound to be right but nobody seemed to be of that opinion here.

The 3ds? I suppose you can set the bar low. I thought the 3ds library sucked and they lost loads of third party devs compared to the GBA and DS.
Granted the N64 was worse.
I agree, but I meant in terms of this gen of consoles. The DS and GBA had massive libraries compared to 3DS.

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's like saying "Fuck this garbage, next time I'm buying even worse garbage."
Like seriously, just get a PS4.5/Good PC at this point. And don't pull the fanboy card because I own a WiiU, this thing was and is a disaster. It has a good chunk of great games, but anything else? nothing.
The NX better be the second coming of Jesus Christ, because I'm not getting burned by Nintendo again.

^This^

I got burned by N64, but atleast I have many fond memories of that system. I love Nintendo, but I won't give them my cash anymore

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
even the wii was better than the wiiu at least it had a few fun 3rd party games. i have litterally played under a dozen games it's whole life on the wiiu! :sleep:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
what your not saying that the ps1 andthe xbox were rife with piracy almost from the get go. n64 could not be pirated thats why it failed in my opinion......
Pirates are a fringe element in the total userbase - just take the Wii for example. It took literally no effort to pirate games on it and according to HackMii installation statistics only around 3.4% of all Wii's were ever softmodded with the default online installer. Even if we assume that offline installations and hardmods account for another 3.4%, that's still only 6.8% - the gross majority of users played legit. This stat is important because today homebrew is more popular than ever, at least in my opinion - in the past only select few knew what they were doing because the exchange of information was highly restricted without solutions like Github etc. You're grossly overestimating the know-how of average gamers, when your console sold 140+ million units, you're raking in money hand over fist even if a significant portion of users pirate games.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

So if PS4K is a real thing then that means Sony doesn't really care about games anymore and it's regarding sales they want as many as possible. PS4 will possibly never have its own MotorStorm due to the studio being shutdown. My god, this gen has not been too great.

Reactions: Bladexdsl
S

Saiyan Lusitano

worst gen yet period i've hardly had any use out of the consoles at all but pc gaming still going strong!
True. I had lots of fun with 7th gen games but the 8th gen feels rather very weak in comparison. Still, the 6th gen blows the 7th and 8th gen out of the park.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's fake apparently so not worth thinking about its (extremely restrictive) possibilities.

Besides, here are two reasons why it still wouldn't work:
1) No physical buttons.
2) Lack of digital triggers and shoulder buttons.

It would have sucked. Period.
yeah, good thing it is fake.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

"The Nintendo DS won't replace the Gameboy-Family."
Lel, Nintendo at its topgame again.
The gameboy was supported for another year after the DS release but yeah. we can expect the same with the wii u unless nintendo have actually changed.

hksrb25s14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't the NX going to be just like the wii u again? Just with better graphics? The problem with wii u is there is no good Zelda games
No good metroid just remastered version of those game , I just have a feeling Nintendo just took a big dump on it's fans, and now we are here letting them do it again with NX, I'm fed up of playing old/new versions of remakes.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Isn't the NX going to be just like the wii u again? Just with better graphics? The problem with wii u is there is no good Zelda games
No good metroid just remastered version of those game , I just have a feeling Nintendo just took a big dump on it's fans, and now we are here letting them do it again with NX, I'm fed up of playing old/new versions of remakes.
The problem is that the hardware is not strong enough to support modern AAA game development. Without these games the console is much less attractive to console gamers.
Besides both franchises you mentioned aren't super hot in Japan and the Wii U performs over there as badly as it does here.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

The problem is that the hardware is not strong enough to support modern AAA game development. Without these games the console is much less attractive to console gamers.
Besides both franchises you mentioned aren't super hot in Japan and the Wii U performs over there as badly as it does here.
If it wasn't thanks to Nintendo, the Wii U wouldn't even have games this year. Retail games that matter.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You should update this since Nintendo have denied these claims.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If they do so they'll just worsen the stigma and become the sega everyone fears or hopes they'll become. Nintendo by supporting the consumers will show that they will give support for a long while and make people keep trust in them. It's common sense to do so.
Yeah. If Nintendo ceases production of the Wii U then they seriously damage their chances of making the NX successful since a lot of people would be put off from being it in fear of it becoming like the Wii U. Given how little Nintendo actually does about the Wii U.

Reactions: TheDarkGreninja
S

Saiyan Lusitano

"thanks" to nintendo? It's their friggin job to release games on their own platform. We shouldn't be thankful we should expect such behaviour.
They could just cease the production of Wii U games and cancel the whole thing. Plus, "thanks to" is an expression.

Edit: More info.

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo