Japanese Site Nikkei Reports Nintendo Ceasing Wii U production by the end of the year

hero-1.jpg

Breaking news has come from Japanese site Nikkei;

According to Nikkei, Wii U accessories have already ceased production and the report states Wii U systems will soon follow suit, at the end of 2016. This is currently a rumor and will be updated as information comes out.

:arrow: SOURCE

Last edited by Chary,

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They could just cease the production of Wii U games and cancel the whole thing. Plus, "thanks to" is an expression.

Edit: More info.
If they did that before the release of the NX they would have a time period where they spend money on Game development and get no revenue back.
It would be a stupid Idea no matter how you look at it.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

If they did that before the release of the NX they would have a time period where they spend money on Game development and get no revenue back.
It would be a stupid Idea no matter how you look at it.
Yes, but the Wii U's consumer base is comparably very small to the rest so on top of poor marketing and atrocious sales they'd be able to dig themselves out of developing games for the Wii U. Even after the next Nintendo home console is out many still won't know what exactly a Wii U is.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, but the Wii U's consumer base is comparably very small to the rest so on top of poor marketing and atrocious sales they'd be able to dig themselves out of developing games for the Wii U. Even after the next Nintendo home console is out many still won't know what exactly a Wii U is.
Even though the Wii U hardware sales is weaker than the of the PS Vita. Wii U Software sells comparably well.
Twighligh Princess HD sold half a million copies in the first week worldwide and several 1st party games sell at least 1 million copies. I also don't need to mention the Amiibo cancer.
They have absolutely no reason to kill the Wii U & focus entirely on the NX so early. That's why the whole "NX won't replace the Wii U" BS is a thing. They want the get the most out of the Wii U while they still can.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Even though the Wii U hardware sales is weaker than the of the PS Vita. Wii U Software sells comparably well.
Twighligh Princess HD sold half a million copies in the first week worldwide and several 1st party games sell at least 1 million copies. I also don't need to mention the Amiibo cancer.
They have absolutely no reason to kill the Wii U & focus entirely on the NX so early. That's why the whole "NX won't replace the Wii U" BS is a thing. They want the get the most out of the Wii U while they still can.
You're right on that and part of the reason why TPHD is such a success is due to including the original unmirrored version.

Touko White

(not)Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, shit.
I didn't read this properly before posting this on my own site, but I would probably pull out if I were the CEO...

Since the Wii U failed, logically I'd spend money on developing a new console and on marketing, etc. to get the upper hand first. They'd also have more time to deliver better titles on launch the NX.

WooHyun

Trophies
XP
Country
I hope nintendo doesn't follow Sega's way. Remember what happened after Sega killed Saturn too early to support Dreamcast. If they Kill Wii U right now for NX, people could think NX might end up the same way. Nintendo should know it as well, so I'm sure it's just a rumor.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

naughty_cat

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
I hope nintendo doesn't follow Sega's way. Remember what happened after Sega killed Saturn too early to support Dreamcast. If they Kill Wii U right now for NX, people could think NX might end up the same way. Nintendo should know it as well, so I'm sure it's just a rumor.

I always felt that the Dreamcast was a very exceptional case, since people were able to run pirate games on it without really having to do serious modifications to the console... people could just download the games and burn them onto a disc at home without the help of someone who's seriously experienced with piracy, or something like that... And I believe that Sega was responsible for the publishing of most Dreamcast games (even 3rd party games)... which is why I always assumed that piracy was among the things that hit them pretty bad right before their downfall...

WooHyun

Trophies
XP
Country
I always felt that the Dreamcast was a very exceptional case, since people were able to run pirate games on it without really having to do serious modifications to the console... people could just download the games and burn them onto a disc at home without the help of someone who's seriously experienced with piracy, or something like that... And I believe that Sega was responsible for the publishing of most Dreamcast games (even 3rd party games)... which is why I always assumed that piracy was among the things that hit them pretty bad right before their downfall...
I don't know how greatly piracy affects on console sales. Didn't consoles like Wii, PSP, and 3DS sell well with soft exploits? Does an easy piracy damage console critically?

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't know how greatly piracy affects on console sales. Didn't consoles like Wii, PSP, and 3DS sell well with soft exploits? Does an easy piracy damage console critically?
I know in case of the PSP that the console sold great but the soft ware sold like crap, thus nobody wanting to develop for it outside of japan, essentially killing the Console way earlier than it should've died.
Which lead sony to be overprotective with the Vita and add so much anti piracy stuff that even the legit consumer got shafted, leading to the console selling poorly, making nobody want to develop games for it, outside of cheap projects, zombifying the console in the process.

WooHyun

Trophies
XP
Country
I know in case of the PSP that the console sold great but the soft ware sold like crap, thus nobody wanting to develop for it outside of japan, essentially killing the Console way earlier than it should've died.
Which lead sony to be overprotective with the Vita and add so much anti piracy stuff that even the legit consumer got shafted, leading to the console selling poorly, making nobody want to develop games for it, outside of cheap projects, zombifying the console in the process.
Thanks. I didn't think about that really much. Perhaps Nintendo made similar efforts on 3DS, which made it secure for several years until recently?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER