• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Joe Biden Wins - Becomes 46th president of the United States

• Thread starter yusuo
  • Start date
  • Views 434,946
  • Replies 7,444
  • Likes 45
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User

more for sentimental reasons and lack of scientific evidence
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/older-adults.html
"Risk for severe illness with COVID-19 increases with age, with older adults at highest risk."
This isn't sentimental, there is no "lack of scientific evidence"
Not all 80+ year olds die, not everyone who died was over 80
wow... Do you have any idea how bad this logical fallacy is?
Not all 3 year olds drown in a pool. And not everyone who drowned was over 3.
I think this highlights your thinking. It's exceptionally flawed, and incredibly stupid.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

if Group A have x trait.(younger age)
And Group B have a different but related trait. (older age)
We then look between the effects of a virus on group A and B.
We can statistically see that as a probability number. For the sake of making this easy, I'm going to make it outlandish. If group B had 75/100 be infected and died. And Group A had 50/100 become infected and died. And this was through one exposure. (though really it isn't realistic, because irl doesn't work like that/it's unlikely to only be exposed once irl)
it stands to reason Group B is at higher risk. That's just probability.

Last edited by ,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think this highlights your thinking. It's exceptionally flawed, and incredibly stupid.

Resorting to insults means you are struggling with your argument.

it stands to reason Group B is at higher risk. That's just probability.

Right, but you are forgetting that the vaccine doesn't affect everyone equally. So it may just reduce Group B's chance of dying by 10%, while vaccinating Group A who come into contact with Group B might prevent them getting infected which could reduce Group B's chance of dying by 100%.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river.
We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in.”
― Desmond Tutu

Last edited by smf,
D

Deleted User

Resorting to insults means you are struggling with your argument.
Okay then. I ask, if me making a rhetorical remark like that changes how stupid this specific argument is
Not all 80+ year olds die, not everyone who died was over 80.
Not all 3 year olds drown in a pool. And not everyone who drowned was over 3.
moving on.
Right, but you are forgetting that the vaccine doesn't affect everyone equally.

Your source for that it wouldn't apply equally? It's a rna based vaccine. Usually how that works it includes the tag proteins (not the official name.) that acts as unique markers the immune system uses to detect viruses. It's not introducing the virus itself in any significant capacity. Meaning it should effect groups roughly the same regardless of comorbidity or not.

Last edited by ,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your source for that it wouldn't apply equally? It's a rna based vaccine. Usually how that works it includes the tag proteins (not the official name.) that acts as unique markers the immune system uses to detect viruses.

https://theconversation.com/why-vac...elderly-and-what-it-means-for-covid-19-141971

Immunosenescence also results in diminished responses to vaccination. Indeed, annual flu vaccines are notoriously less effective in the elderly. This phenomenon is very important in the context of the massive efforts and funds being invested worldwide into the ultra-rapid development of vaccines for COVID-19.

We don't have enough evidence yet to know what will happen with an rna vaccine, we've never rolled one out before.

The length of time it takes to vaccinate everyone we could end up with a mutation that makes the current vaccine ineffective, you can't know who to vaccinate to prevent that happening.

Last edited by smf,
D

Deleted User

https://theconversation.com/why-vac...elderly-and-what-it-means-for-covid-19-141971

Immunosenescence also results in diminished responses to vaccination. Indeed, annual flu vaccines are notoriously less effective in the elderly. This phenomenon is very important in the context of the massive efforts and funds being invested worldwide into the ultra-rapid development of vaccines for COVID-19..
Fair enough then. In my personal opinion, (no longer arguing fact) still would be better to at least give them a fighting chance.

wait... no actually

your kinda wrong and right on this statement. Yes the vaccine would effect everyone equally. it just wouldn't be effective on everyone since it relies on their immune systems.

Saying that it doesn't effect everyone equally would imply the vaccine itself has issues. Not the immune system. regardless outside of that it's fine your statement holds up.

to clarify what I'm saying. You can give everyone a tool (the vaccine) and the presence of that tool effects everyone equally. But it doesn't mean said tool can be used efficiently by everyone (immune response)

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fair enough then. In my personal opinion, (no longer arguing fact) still would be better to at least give them a fighting chance.

That is the sentimentality & they might try to do that but transporting the vaccine out to the vulnerable is hard and moving them hundreds of miles to get the vaccine puts them at greater risk.

If you're old and near where the vaccines are being administered then you're likely to be first. But carers that need to travel will likely get it before the people they care for.

to clarify what I'm saying. You can give everyone a tool (the vaccine) and the presence of that tool effects everyone equally. But it doesn't mean said tool can be used efficiently by everyone (immune response)

The change that is affected by the vaccine is surely the immune response?

Last edited by smf,
D

Deleted User

The change that is affected by the vaccine is surely the immune response?
your kinda wrong and right on this statement. Yes the vaccine would effect everyone equally. it just wouldn't be effective on everyone since it relies on their immune systems.

Saying that it doesn't effect everyone equally would imply the vaccine itself has issues. Not the immune system. regardless outside of that it's fine your statement holds up.
I was trying to use an example to clarify this statement, guess it made it more confusing.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was trying to use an example to clarify this statement, guess it made it more confusing.

Well I disagree that it affects everyone equally, if the immune response is different in each person as that is the effect that is relevant in this discussion.

There are also side effects which affect people differently, the only one I know about is for swelling when people have had cosmetic fillers. I don't know if I would change the order based on that though.

I'm not saying I have a better order to give the vaccine, like everything else we just muddle through with (hopefully) best intentions while making mistakes.

I would trust Biden more than Trump to have best intentions.

Last edited by smf,
D

Deleted User

Well I disagree that it affects everyone equally, if the immune response is different in each person as that is the effect that is relevant in this discussion.
Well in the specific context of vaccines
due to anti vaxxer movements and shit. This could be misunderstood as "the vaccine itself is the problem" not "immune system is the problem"
That's mostly my worry and why I initially took issue with it. Your not wrong though.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
due to anti vaxxer movements and shit. This could be misunderstood as "the vaccine itself is the problem" not "immune system is the problem"

I don't see how, if you're anti vaccine then how effective it is for each person is irrelevant. No vaccine is going to be less effective.

But every vaccine and drug affects people differently because we're subtlety different, it's just chemistry & biology.

Last edited by smf,

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, Trump vetoes that pitiful pork filled bill screwing over the American people and demands $2000 for each individual, and Biden says more racist stuff.
I'm sure you leftists and RINO doomers are so happy that the Dominion machines voted that racist brainlet into office.
Good news is that several battleground states are having hearings to decertify their illegal Electoral votes.

If any of you brainlets think this was taken out of context, please try putting it into context for the rest of us.

Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/i/status/1341664209210200064

Last edited by morvoran,

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, Trump vetoes that pitiful pork filled bill screwing over the American people and demands $2000 for each individual, and Biden says more racist stuff.
I'm sure you leftists and RINO doomers are so happy that the Dominion machines voted that racist brainlet into office.
Good news is that several battleground states are having hearings to decertify their illegal Electoral votes.

If any of you brainlets think this was taken out of context, please try putting it into context for the rest of us.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1341664209210200064

Lmao. Gtfo of here with that bullshit. Let's hear the entire conversation instead of a what is 100% obviously a clip taken completely out of context. But you know as well as everyone else, RepubliCONS are great at media manipulation. They've done it many times over yet they're the big FAKE NEWS crybabies, constantly posting fake news.

Edit: "If any of you brainlets think this was taken out of context, please try putting it into context for the rest of us." That doesn't even make any fucking sense. If it's out of context, it's out of context. Period. Sorry facts are so difficult for you.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,
Reactions: AmandaRose

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

https://twitter.com/i/status/1341664209210200064
I recommend checking the context of something before posting about it. That way, you'll look a lot less like an idiot.

"...If we cannot make significant progress on racial equity, this country is doomed. It is doomed. Not just because of African Americans, but because by 2040, this country is going to be minority white European."

Last edited by Lacius,

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure you leftists and RINO doomers are so happy that the Dominion machines voted that racist brainlet into office
.yes.. I am

Last edited by djpannda,

mammastuffing

Trophies
XP
Country

I'm not going to try to put this into context because that would only be speculative. And it is not up to me to provide the context. That burden lies on the person who "leaked" the video.

But I would really like to know the context. Because this is 26 seconds of a meeting or whatever it is that is probably way longer than that. Why was only these 26 seconds "leaked"? Where is the rest? It is suspicious and I am not convinced that this is NOT taken out of context.

Reactions: ghjfdtg

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to try to put this into context because that would only be speculative. And it is not up to me to provide the context. That burden lies on the person who "leaked" the video.

But I would really like to know the context. Because this is 26 seconds of a meeting or whatever it is that is probably way longer than that. Why was only these 26 seconds "leaked"? Where is the rest? It is suspicious and I am not convinced that this is NOT taken out of context.
I already posted the entire video and a transcript of the context. @morvoran ? More like moronran. Mormoran? I couldn't pick.

Last edited by Lacius,

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

"If we cannot make significant progress on racial equity, this country is doomed. It is doomed."
is that a record, it was debunked in like 26 seconds!!!

yea @morvoran got corny... he post stupid shit and runs before he's called out on it.... Granted Im pretty he blocked most people.

Last edited by djpannda,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo