LEGO City: Undercover has been delisted from the Wii U and 3DS eShops

header.jpg

What was once a Wii U exclusive has been removed from the platform. 2013's LEGO City: Undercover has been delisted from the Wii U eShop, along with LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins on the Nintendo 3DS, joining the ranks of Netflix and DSiWare titles in a recent removal spree occurring on older Nintendo systems. At the very least, both games had a physical release, and LEGO City: Undercover was re-released on the Nintendo Switch, PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4.

:arrow: Source

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...Which isn't mobile. And Steam doesn't have Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies, or Spirit of Justice. Neither does the Switch, the PlayStation Store, or any other PC store.
Ergo, the 3DS is the ONLY platform to have all six main games. And they're all digital-only, meaning an eShop shutdown would be very problematic.
ya...bit of a shame how poorly the series is treated in the west with the 3ds being the only place with the full set...

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
ya...bit of a shame how poorly the series is treated in the west with the 3ds being the only place with the full set...
Not to mention how Ace Attorney Investigations 2 was never officially localised, despite the first one having that treatment.
Or that ancient Japan spin-off - likely due to Sherlock Holmes, and how restrictive his IP owner is. Ugh.

nine0nine

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I guarantee that long term this ‘does it matter’ mentality would be a mistake, just like in the Film and TV industry where allot of media has either been lost forever, only found by chance, keep circulating the tapes, etc.

I wasn't implying an attitude as such, more a question and the same one applies to movies and tv to some respects. As we continue to produce media, be it movies, music, games, art, is there a real world need to preserve everything? We probably have enough games right now to entertain us over 10 lifetimes, in a couple more decades each and every game, regardless of how big or small it is will become less and less relevant to the current generations. I would say certain key titles are worthy of a classic status, just as music and art treats certain pieces from certain points in their history.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I wasn't implying an attitude as such, more a question and the same one applies to movies and tv to some respects. As we continue to produce media, be it movies, music, games, art, is there a real world need to preserve everything? We probably have enough games right now to entertain us over 10 lifetimes, in a couple more decades each and every game, regardless of how big or small it is will become less and less relevant to the current generations. I would say certain key titles are worthy of a classic status, just as music and art treats certain pieces from certain points in their history.
But, with this mindset, exactly what should be preserved will differ depending on the individual - for example, I'd certainly like to preserve Bakugan Battle Brawlers on DS, since it's a neat little distraction with decent enough gameplay. I'd also like to preserve the three Pokémon Ranger games, and Parascientific Escape (a small "Zero Escape"-esque game, on the 3DS, that I'm pretty sure is digital-only), and ŌkamiDen.

However, I personally see no value in games like Breath of the Wild or multiplayer only games or Super Mario 3D World or Super Mario Galaxy or Pokémon Sword/Shield, so I'd have no incentive to archive these titles. As a result, if I was in charge of preserving a limited number of games, these wouldn't be included.

See the issue? This is why pretty much everything should be preserved in some way.

Last edited by AkiraKurusu,

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not to mention how Ace Attorney Investigations 2 was never officially localised, despite the first one having that treatment.
Or that ancient Japan spin-off - likely due to Sherlock Holmes, and how restrictive his IP owner is. Ugh.
The Sherlock one is coming to Switch, it was in that Capcom leak a while back, so that's one game at least lol

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
Still beat the news earlier with that meme tho.

Alright, jokes aside, this doesn’t feel very great. It’s like Nintendo is going on a killing spree. You’d think that they would warn us with delists like they did with Mario Maker, but nope.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nah, I saw some news site mentioning on Twitter that the game got delisted. GBAtemp was just too slow!

trust me that 3dw delist will happen

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess is that it was delisted since it was licensed back when Telltale Games was around and other Telltale games have been delisted as well due to licensing.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess is that it was delisted since it was licensed back when Telltale Games was around and other Telltale games have been delisted as well due to licensing.
it's not the TT your thinking of. it stands for travelers tales I think...or might just be tt and nothing more...but it is not tell tale.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

In this day and age, the question I have is why not preserve what we can?

At least back then they had the excuse of not knowing that decades later people would want to enjoy old media.

Again your opinion just comes across as short sighted.

Edit:

Funnily enough, I’ve recently been playing Sonic Unleashed, a game that was at one point delisted because of it’s ‘mediocre’ review score even though I later found enjoyment from it on some level.

Last edited by tech3475,

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
do people still buy games for wiiu?

I had a lot of fun with the console but ion know how that would have gone without homebrew
i own Mario kart 8 with season pass, still try to play online nowdays, but sadly no one queue mk8 on WIIU anymore, the online is pretty dead

Last edited by leon315,

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
do people still buy games for wiiu?

I had a lot of fun with the console but ion know how that would have gone without homebrew
If there were more DS Virtual Console games, I would be buying more Wii U games. Same for actual Wii U games too, if there were any interesting ones I hadn't already bought (Twilight Princess HD, The Wind Waker HD, Xenoblade X, LEGO City Undercover, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. 4, Pikmin 3)

BiggieCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Undercover (not sure about the 3DS spin-off) might’ve used some licensed music tracks IIRC, wouldn’t be shocked if Warner Bros. Interactive (or Nintendo since they technically published them way back then, assuming the rights to those versions didn’t default over to WB at some point) weren’t interested or even able to renew their contracts

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's unfortunate. Those were great games. Doesn't affect much for me though - own the physical Wii U and 3DS versions, as well as a physical Switch version. Though I've found the Switch port seems a bit rushed and has some odd bugs compared to the Wii U version, it's still a fun game.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Spookily enough I just hacked my old 3ds yesterday and put Luma3ds on it - and just happened to d/l and install a cia called Lego City Undercover :-). Not that I condone piracy of course - but if you can't get the games legally, where else are you going to get them?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: No way, Switch pro will be next