Lockpick rcm dmca notice

Masamune3210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Cough* Sony audio CD rootkit
Which they got sued for and promptly lost. Just because you are big and have a lot of money, that doesn't forbid you from being kneecapped eventually
Post automatically merged:

if only people didn't need to have negative day warez....
They recently went after the BOTW Multiplayer mod, its not about them having their games leaked, its about them not being able to completely control how their games are played and talked about. Bad mouth them? Sue. Release a mod for one of their games that gets popular and they don't like it? DMCA. Add functionality to one of their systems that they don't like or that gets in the way of what they wanted to do? DMCA.

They are attention snobs, always have been, and always will be.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
nintendo def uber pissed that zelda was leaked :lol:
Well that's what they get for sitting on it when it's already finished. 🤷

Nintendo could mitigate these leaks by providing switches with a digital copy already installed on it as "review copies" with tamper-proof housing. Because its always the review copy carts getting dumped and leaking.

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which they got sued for and promptly lost. Just because you are big and have a lot of money, that doesn't forbid you from being kneecapped eventually

They recently went after the BOTW Multiplayer mod, its not about them having their games leaked, its about them not being able to completely control how their games are played and talked about. Bad mouth them? Sue. Release a mod for one of their games that gets popular and they don't like it? DMCA. Add functionality to one of their systems that they don't like or that gets in the way of what they wanted to do? DMCA.

Sega used to be the ones that mopped up the mess, not Nintendo. Back when The Ghetto was around, Sega went after them. Nintendo just sat idle in the background. I've seen many years of infringement that Nintendo didn't seem to bat an eye to until recent times.

But yeah Nintendo doesn't want people playing their stuff on systems not made by them. Actually I felt that for a long time it was pretty niche and cool that they had that much control over their products but these days that's all over with.

Reactions: tabzer

Masamune3210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is so terrified of losing their core fanbase to the competition, that's what sparks a lot of their recent actions. They are completely oblivious to the fact that most of their fanbase would buy a Nintendo branded toilet paper without batting an eye lol

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They recently went after the BOTW Multiplayer mod
They didn’t. I was pretty involved with the multiplayer mod and am still active in their group. Nintendo went after the person who commissioned the mod, namely PointCrow, for streaming the mod and posting the videos to YouTube. To be clear, Nintendo only went after the videos of the mod, not the whole mod itself.

Because Nintendo copyright striked the videos, the developers made a unanimous decision to stop distributing the mod before Nintendo could take legal action. It was pretty clear that was Nintendos next course of action and distributing it was going put PointCrow’s source of income at jeopardy. Nobody was willing to do that, so the decision was made to stop distributing it. As of now, you cannot even discuss the multiplayer mod (or as for help if you do have it and something doesn’t work properly) in their group and PointCrow says he’s done with streaming anything to do with Breath of the Wild mostly because he feels it’s time to move onto new content.

The mod still exists. And I’m pretty sure it’s still actively being worked on. Time will tell whether or not it ever sees the light of day again though.

DavidinCT

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No, they are very old Japanese company, with policies that are even older. They are known to protect their IPs at all costs and have full control of everything. If remember the NES and SNES days, you could program a game for these systems but, Nintendo required them to release it. They wanted exclusive control on everything.

Sending these notices are not cheap, the legal team needed to make sure they are right. They spend a LOT of money on this.

They are very clear that they will go after you if you hack us. I do think instead of sending hackers to jail or fine them big money, they should hire them. If their security was stronger, this would not even be a discussion here.

I do wonder, if the Xbox One/Series consoles, got hacked, an easy hardware exploit and directions directly from a known hacker. Would Microsoft do the same thing ? How about Sony ?

Losing possible millions due to hacking, I would bet they would.

SubstituteCS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, they are very old Japanese company, with policies that are even older. They are known to protect their IPs at all costs and have full control of everything. If remember the NES and SNES days, you could program a game for these systems but, Nintendo required them to release it. They wanted exclusive control on everything.

Sending these notices are not cheap, the legal team needed to make sure they are right. They spend a LOT of money on this.

They are very clear that they will go after you if you hack us. I do think instead of sending hackers to jail or fine them big money, they should hire them. If their security was stronger, this would not even be a discussion here.

I do wonder, if the Xbox One/Series consoles, got hacked, an easy hardware exploit and directions directly from a known hacker. Would Microsoft do the same thing ? How about Sony ?

Losing possible millions due to hacking, I would bet they would.
Sony? Yes

Microsoft? I don't believe so. I don't remember any lawsuits for JTAG or RGH back in the 360 days, and the original xbox days I think were just as uneventful.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If nintendo really cared about stopping lockpick they would have went after it a long time ago.How many firmware updates are even left for the switch to get, not really much before it gets random updates like their other systems. Also if this is about Zelda doesn’t that supposedly just need firmware 15.0 not 16. They should have made sure Zelda needed a 17.0 firmware if it’s really about that.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: sigh