Lockpick rcm dmca notice

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was just about to post this.
Typical Nintendo handling the situation in the incorrect way as usual.
While they do (in a weird way) have a right to protect their IP, wasn't lockpick made via reverse engineering?
it's intent isn't piracy whatsoever and it's just a byproduct
I'm sure Nintendo would go for The anti-circumvention provisions of the DMCA (17 U.S. Code § 1201) claiming lockpick is used to as a copyright bypass and is being solely used for piracy of some stupid s### like that.
I guess they're mad totk leaked and are putting the blame on the ability of being able to decrypt rather than their inability to secure their hardware correctly.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I was just about to post this.
Typical Nintendo handling the situation in the incorrect way as usual.
While they do (in a weird way) have a right to protect their IP, wasn't lockpick made via reverse engineering?
it's intent isn't piracy whatsoever and it's just a byproduct
I'm sure Nintendo would go for The anti-circumvention provisions of the DMCA (17 U.S. Code § 1201) claiming lockpick is used to as a copyright bypass and is being solely used for piracy of some stupid s### like that.
I guess they're mad totk leaked and are putting the blame on the ability of being able to decrypt rather than their inability to secure their hardware correctly.
You need the keys to run the emulators. Probably why

Reactions: impeeza and Kioku

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need the keys to run the emulators. Probably why
That’s almost certainly why. Question is, is homebrew like Lockpick illegal? Sharing the keys afterwards has almost gotta be, but is the homebrew to dump them from your own console illegal?

My thought is no, as long as no proprietary code from Nintendo is used to do it. But I’m not a lawyer.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I honestly don't know. Since they software just pick them out, I got a hard time of actually seeing it as illegal

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't know. Since they software just pick them out, I got a hard time of actually seeing it as illegal
Regardless, this is pretty bad for Switch emulation. Getting keys is going to be hard for a while, I think.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is troublesome obviously this means atoms isn't as untouchable as they thought and may be next anyways best bet is to store your keys safely on a flash drive and pray someone updates it on the next fw and releases it elsewhere

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
That’s almost certainly why. Question is, is homebrew like Lockpick illegal? Sharing the keys afterwards has almost gotta be, but is the homebrew to dump them from your own console illegal?

My thought is no, as long as no proprietary code from Nintendo is used to do it. But I’m not a lawyer.
There’s probably a large gray area when it comes to tools like LockpickRCM… on the one hand, the keys you pull are unique to the system right? On the other, you could pull the keys from a “friends” system and use them to run the emulator and engage in piracy.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nintendo doesn’t care about legality, which is why they’ve abused DMCA notices. I really hope the victims of Nintendo’s abuse eventually get together to make a class action because the Big N needs to be stopped

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Nintendo doesn’t care about legality, which is why they’ve abused DMCA notices. I really hope the victims of Nintendo’s abuse eventually get together to make a class action because the Big N needs to be stopped
The issue is the DMCA is so flimsy written and in high favor of the right holder. It's a hard case to win

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The issue is the DMCA is so flimsy written and in high favor of the right holder. It's a hard case to win
It’s a hard case but one that needs to be corrected. Unfortunately, I don’t think it will ever happen as the DMCA was designed to be abused :nayps3:

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It’s a hard case but one that needs to be corrected. Unfortunately, I don’t think it will ever happen as the DMCA was designed to be abused :nayps3:
I'm sadly not a lawyer so I don't even know if lockpick is illegal. I highly doubt it is. This seem to be a knee jerk attack against emulators.

Reactions: The Catboy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: but who tf is Among Us?