Homebrew Mario Kart 8 Ultimate, download the alpha now! 104 additional courses to the base game!

Kopimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't played a ton of local multiplayer in the modpack, but what I have played ran at what I thought was full speed. I know the more intensive courses will run slower in general, Bowser's Castle GPdx being a prime example.
I'll have to try out more courses then on multiplayer. We only tried a few courses and they were all in the same cup.

samethernet

Trophies
XP
Country
Been a while since I last messaged in, really enjoying the mod pack. Any progress updates since the alpha release? Anyword from the dev's of CTGP-Café that is core to this project?

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been a while since I last messaged in, really enjoying the mod pack. Any progress updates since the alpha release? Anyword from the dev's of CTGP-Café that is core to this project?
Nope. And honestly I wouldn't hold your breath, this may be a good as the modpack gets barring some behind the scenes change. As the dev of the CTGP Cafe loader itself has seemingly disappeared. He had in the past mentioned improvements he hoped to make for the loader, but now the Discord is shut down with no reason why. If he ever pops back up, maybe there could be hope for improvements, but as things stand, the Alpha version here is as sophisticated as these MK8U modpacks will get. I may do alt versions with different course selections (104 additional courses seems to be the limit), driver selections, etc. But cleaning up the course selection menu to remove the dummy page, adding music to be courses and custom mapobjs to not interfere with vanilla mapobjs, may simply never arrive at this point.

perrythecat

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you @MikaDubbz for keeping this project still relevant! I was a little nervous that everything would have been a little outdated given the nature of the project, but glad to see people still support it!

Would you happen to have a list of the courses that currently don't have any music on them?
And is it as simple as putting a .bfstm file into the content/audio/stream folder to make it work? Changing some of the BGM would seem pretty funny to mess with my friends.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you @MikaDubbz for keeping this project still relevant! I was a little nervous that everything would have been a little outdated given the nature of the project, but glad to see people still support it!

Would you happen to have a list of the courses that currently don't have any music on them?
And is it as simple as putting a .bfstm file into the content/audio/stream folder to make it work? Changing some of the BGM would seem pretty funny to mess with my friends.
No sadly it's not that simple. The way ctgp-cafe loader is programmed at this point, it's simply impossible to give the extra courses music tracks. Granted a few of the extra courses that were included in the vanilla release of the ctgp cafe loader plugin did have music tied to them, but these were hard coded, not simple additions like the tracks. The creator said he would one day make it so all extra courses could have music added to them, but again, now he's disappeared. You can change the vanilla courses audio through the means you talk about (though pretty sure again based on how this is programmed that you can't alter the music of any of the original MK8U DLC courses).

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
So, after trying this I have 2 questions:
1. When starting I get the selection screen for which mod I want to start, can't we load them all at once or is that too ridiculous?

In the case 1. is not possible,: 2. What is in what modpack? (i.e. which tracks in what modpack)

Edit: I did not see that the second video was the 'old' post (where I downloaded the pack from the url in the video description), I'm currently downloading the pack that's linked in the actual post hoping that ll do what I want it to

perrythecat

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How does one go about overwriting some of the maps in the modpack (e.g. you want to include one map over another)?
Do you just drag and drop the folder into content -> course, or is it hardcoded to read the name of the mods already included (e.g. game will ONLY read Gds_pinball but you can essentially replace its contents to have say, Green Hill Zone)?

Also If this is the case, is there a place to find where all the map IDs for the vanilla maps are? (e.g. Sweet Sweet Canyon being Gu_Cake).

Edit: pastebin (dot) com (slash) n5X7z3nh found the track list

I know there is a cap of 104 maps as well, so I would assume I would need to take something out and replace it.
There isn't really a lot of documentation regarding this, so I just thought I'd ask while I'm going ahead and breaking something with my flawed logic.

Last edited by perrythecat,

samethernet

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, with the release of Aroma, is it even possible to have the loader ported to the built in plugin system of Aroma or is this not possible due to the dissapearence of the cafeloader team? Thanks

Nukatha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea what happened.
I wanted to play some vanilla MK8 after playing this, but for some reason my save file was zapped.
In my steps to try to recover the save file, I ended up deciding to completely sweep all my MK8 stuff on my console.
Using the official settings app, I deleted everything Mario Kart 8 on my NAND and Hard Drive.
Then, I put the disk in, and re-installed the update. Then restored a backup of my save with FTPiiU Everywhere.
The final piece of the puzzle is the DLC (which I HAVE purchased). For some reason I cannot download it from the eShop, and cannot get it installed via NUSspli either. I've also used NUSspli to try to download it, and it failed.
Last, I've went through my tickets, and tried in two steps, first deleting any NUSspli Mario Kart 8 ticket that might be causing issues. That didn't work, so I then deleted every MK8 ticket altogether. Still no dice for being able to install. Any help would be appreciated.
EDIT: No idea what exactly made it work, but here is what I did: I restored ALL of my tickets to my backups using FTPiiUEverywhere.
I deleted all update and DLC data for MK8
I then went to the eShop and redownloaded ONLY the Mercedes-Benz pack.
That installed without issue.
Then I went to eShop again, and installed the two DLC packs separately, rather than clicking the combo-pack version.
After all that, I have vanilla MK8 with all DLC working again.

I still have no idea what reset my save file in the first place, but it feels like it was related to playing MK8Ultimate, but I'm not confident enough to assign blame.

Last edited by Nukatha,

popeye820

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey @
Can you be a little more clear? How doesn't it work? Do the modpacks show up to select at all when you launch MK8 after launching SDCafiine? Or do the modpacks boot but then the game freezes when you launch a track?

Cuz if your problem is the latter, the solution is to just reload and try again, it's a little finicky, but once a race properly loads, all races seem to load without issue in that play session. If the modpacks aren't appearing at all when you launch the game, then that means you have not properly placed them exactly where they need to be on your SD card.

While I'm here, to anyone interested, I know this is long delayed, but I do have a sizable update coming that will replace all the remaining old but retextured tracks in Invitational and 2nd Tour with brand new tracks to Mario Kart 8. Hopefully I'll get that out by the end of the week.

EDIT: Said update is being held off on, as a proper stage expansion for the Wii U that has been available through CTGP Cafe is now open to be modded, so I'm actually moving into that environment. Early results are great, however, not everything functions yet, so this update may be awhile yet. I might push a finale non stage-expansion entry in the coming days, but I'm very excited for properly expanding the stages now
Hey,Question Can the text be changed to be the original text? also how did u do the thing the Switching between cups like the switch deluxe with the dlc ?

SMNFXCN

fox-raccoon hybrid
Trophies
Website
simonfoxcoon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
just found this. is it possible to port the number of courses over to mk8d? when i saw the L/R menu thing on switch i always thought someone would make a ctgp-esque mod for switch. porting over the content will take forever and be extremely time consuming but tbh having extra character slots (inkling/etc) in deluxe in combination with the largest amount of courses in the game before mods would be nice.
not asking for a port to switch tho. i was wondering why it's only for wii u atm

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just found this. is it possible to port the number of courses over to mk8d? when i saw the L/R menu thing on switch i always thought someone would make a ctgp-esque mod for switch. porting over the content will take forever and be extremely time consuming but tbh having extra character slots (inkling/etc) in deluxe in combination with the largest amount of courses in the game before mods would be nice.
not asking for a port to switch tho. i was wondering why it's only for wii u atm
There is some sort of MK8D mod doing this same kind of thing and more, including custom songs over all the new courses. I'd say track that down and use that, I don't really know anything about doing mods on the Switch, so a port from me to that version isn't going to happen.

Reactions: SMNFXCN

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY