Metroid Prime 4 scrapped, development starting fresh, Nintendo reveals

Nintendo has uploaded a new video detailing development on the long awaited Metroid Prime 4. In the video, Shinya Takahashi, Senior Managing Executive Officer, reveals that development on Metroid Prime 4 has not reached Nintendo's own standards, and that development has been started from scratch. He also revealed that the game will now be developed in collaboration with Retro Studios, the original developer of the Metroid Prime series.

This will cause a significant delay in the internal planned release schedule, which is sure to disappoint fans of the series. It is stressed that the game is still in development, and Takahashi-san promises that the game will "stand shoulder-to-shoulder" with past Prime titles.

:arrow: Source

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Pretty sure if they port it it will be the already ported wij version and not the gamecube version since i'm not 100 percent sure but i think the wii version had a 16/9 option while the gamecube only had a 4/3 mode but not 100 percent sure about that
its not like they can hd remaster the games and add widescreen support... oh wait they can.

you do know most hd remaster they add widescreen and better textures, resolution and framerate right? you can even play the gamecube metroid prime games on nintendont on a wii or wiiu with a simple cheat code ...

The only issue im seeing is metroid prime 3 control scheme, they would need to make a new optional controll scheme to play the game on portable mode, the rest is very very easy to port and enhance speciay the widescreen aspect that every damn hd remaster does lol.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
they would have ruined it would have ended up another M i just know it. they've done it before they would have done it again. good riddance to them.
sure the story was crappy but i did enjoy the gameplay of other m to great extent, i had a blast playing, fun combat, fun bosses and everything, other m gets a bad rep because of the story which i think its secondary, the gameplay is pretty damn fun imo.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm really curious to see what the game looked like before they pulled the plug. I hope somehow a clip or screenshot gets leaked.

taggen86

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Def worth the wait if retro is involved. Instead of a other m like metroid we might actually get a really good game now

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sure the story was crappy but i did enjoy the gameplay of other m to great extent, i had a blast playing, fun combat, fun bosses and everything, other m gets a bad rep because of the story which i think its secondary, the gameplay is pretty damn fun imo.
the gameplay was unique, but wasn't very metroid. Which is fine for a spin-off, but the aspects that make a metroid a metroid weren't in this game. So as a stand-alone game, it was a fun little thing after you understood the expectations. As a metroid game it completely failed from a gameplay standpoint.

I'm hoping the new gameplay captures that metroid feel and is fun.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So we probably won't see Prime 4 for Atleast a couple more years I assume .Bummer the longer it takes, the less likley i am to be excited
I wasn't excited at all about this game, but I really only like the 2D ones and not the FPS ones. Other M was kind of a mix of both, but was closer to the 2D games than it was to the Prime series.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Inb4 it gets cancelled coughmegamanlegends3cough
doubt a main nintendo ip will be cancelled, they will do everything possible and lose money on it if needed to make it happen, similar to the botw ordeal
they have stakes in the game that are higher than turning a profit point for one title, especially seeing as this time around metroid 4 was a "hype" announcement

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hoping this means HD Trilogy for the Holidays and Prime 4 for 2020 or early 2021 since they will be using a lot of the same material
just seeing Sam in Smash makes me miss her :(

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing they're going to keep the art assets and are gutting the mechanics and rational. They're going to keep as much as they can, but only what they think works. Let's just hope that's more than nothing. Reminds me of how sony took over and restarted the ff7 remake. Hopefully it'll only add 2-3 years.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye