Microsoft is discontinuing production of the Xbox 360

Xbox360_Console_controller_RHS_34_rgb_Launch2013-No-Kinect.png
After the console has had more than a 10 year run, Microsoft will now be stopping production of the Xbox 360. Microsoft has said that Xbox Live servers will still remain online for the time being, so that players can still access all the features of the console. The Xbox 360 has sold over 80 million units to date.

Xbox 360 means a lot to everyone in Microsoft. And while we’ve had an amazing run, the realities of manufacturing a product over a decade old are starting to creep up on us. Which is why we have made the decision to stop manufacturing new Xbox 360 consoles. We will continue to sell existing inventory of Xbox 360 consoles, with availability varying by country.
:arrow: Source

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
360 for me was the most favorable, having the better versions of multiplatform games, and typically had more of the games I cared about. Never had a Kinect, and for the most part, don't really care for one. Unlike the PS3, mine tended to last. The only one I ever had outright fail with a Red Ring was with a hard drive failure. But that allowed me to get the Elite unit that I have had for six plus years now. Meanwhile, I am currently on my 4th 60gig PS3, and the 20gig I managed to rescue previously just YLoD'd when I finally was able to pick up a replacement BD drive for it. :nayps3:

X1 and PS4 also feel like carbon copies. But at least in the games that I played, I prefer the X1's controller more. But neither has enough on either system to make me actually want to pick one up. Or at least, just one. Last year, there was a gamestop deal I couldn't take advantage of, to get all three (used) systems (PS4, X1, WiiU) for ~$560 USD, which would have effectively solved my dilemma. But haven't seen it show up again since.

The Wii did have some great games for it, but overclouded by the sheer amount of shlock and pandering on it. Modding it extended its life for me a fair bit, but there were too few games that I ended up liking enough to replay that limit whether I even go back to it. Of the three of that generation, the Wii is currently the one I turn on the least.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's about damn time! Sorry, not sorry, but that generation ran for wayyyyy too long, it's about time they stopped supporting it. It's about time we moved past that generation and it shouldn't have taken 3 years to do that.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's about damn time! Sorry, not sorry, but that generation ran for wayyyyy too long, it's about time they stopped supporting it. It's about time we moved past that generation and it shouldn't have taken 3 years to do that.
It might be a matter of taste/preferences, but neither system of the new generation has enough games to warrant a purchase for me at this time.

To be fair, WiiU has the most, followed by the Xbox One. PS4 literally has nothing that appeals to me; coupled with my horrible experience with Sony's online services and hardware reliability, and I am very resistant to picking up a PS4 until there is a full blown hack. If by some chance I do get one as part of a repeat of Gamestop's multi-console deal, I'd be locking mine up until there is a full blown jailbreak/mod for it.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It might be a matter of taste/preferences, but neither system of the new generation has enough games to warrant a purchase for me at this time.

To be fair, WiiU has the most, followed by the Xbox One. PS4 literally has nothing that appeals to me; coupled with my horrible experience with Sony's online services and hardware reliability, and I am very resistant to picking up a PS4 until there is a full blown hack. If by some chance I do get one as part of a repeat of Gamestop's multi-console deal, I'd be locking mine up until there is a full blown jailbreak/mod for it.
Part of the issue with the current generation, is the amount of bleeding over from the previous generation. I feel like if they dropped support for 360/PS3 shortly after they released the their current systems, we would have seen more games. Game devs kept their focus on making sure new games were able to work on older hardware, instead of just simply focusing on new hardware and that lack of focus has really shown.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, according to videos like from Jimquisition, it seemed some devs (particularly Square Enix) had somehow believed that people "were done with consoles" as of this past generation, and had shifted gears to go full episodic on things and even PC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see more support for proper releases on PC. But the problem is, the new/current generation of console hardware, each unit has something that especially irks me enough to not want to rush into it, if buy at all. There is still a part of me that would want to sit this generation out altogether, unless I could say get them all at once on a deal.

Mystic Shadow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
20 million are probably people re buying another Xbox due to the red ring of death I was an idiot and bought 4 and they all red ringed have 3 ps3s and they still work. ( 2 are the ps3 phat ps2 compatible with cfw)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"the realities of manufacturing a product over a decade old are starting to creep up on us"
No doubt there are some but I am trying to think what they might be as they have changed cases so presumably have new moulds, CPU, GPU, the HANA and DVD all comparatively recently as far as fabs go (not like they are making xeons, not sure what process sizes were being used) and most of the rest are jellybean parts that they or pin compatible descendants will probably be made for some time to come. The money might not be there any more though so I will happily accept an attempt at a graceful exit.
Wonder if they still would have been making it if indeed the xbone was online only and the product for those without online was called the xbox 360.

Anyway me and mine had a bunch of 360s between us. Other than the controller, which I am happy to see be the baseline for PC controllers these days, it did nothing special for me but at the same time allowed some nice modding and a nice easy way to play games. To that end a more than respectful nod on its passing.

Man, PS3 had crazy cool RPGs.
Towards the end there NIS America did pump out a few such things of note, we reviewed a bunch of them, but when I went looking a few years back there did not seem to be a lot in it (other than the NIS America stuff it was a few tales games and Ni no Kuni) and the 360 was not without its own handful of exclusives.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/ps3-and-360-exclusives-a-discussion.360416/

3dsn00b

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
They still produced these things up until now :wtf:

I don't know why they bothered. Like anyone even bought them new anymore? You can probably pick up a slim one for less than $50 AUD these days second hand. I've got 3 of them just in case one of them decides to die on me -- am paranoid since my original console (white) RROD'd on me.

i prefer the xbox controller more, just like how i love the gamecube and the dreamcast controller.. having the analog stick there feels so much better.

Have you ever tried playing a fighting game on the Xbox Controller? The PS4 Controller's d-pad == godsend

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have you ever tried playing a fighting game on the Xbox Controller? The PS4 Controller's d-pad == godsend

I thought all the cool kids got fight sticks? I have not tried the PS4 pad yet though, hopefully it is better than the PS3 hand killer. Equally it was by no means good and certainly not microswitched loveliness but the rotatable dpad 360 controllers were not the worst.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ohh how people hate on RROD ;')
PS3 has the same problem called YLOD.

Both consoles suffer from them due to the lack of leaded solder.
The first iterations of both consoles just ran far to hot with not sufficient enough cooling.

Reactions: Ryccardo
D

Deleted User

Ohh how people hate on RROD ;')
PS3 has the same problem called YLOD.

Both consoles suffer from them due to the lack of leaded solder.
The first iterations of both consoles just ran far to hot with not sufficient enough cooling.
if you think of it.. ps3 managed to run into more problems over its lifetime.. psn getting hacked multiple times, ylod, whatever else happened... xbox only really got rrod and xbox live ddosed once afaik

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
if you think of it.. ps3 managed to run into more problems over its lifetime.. psn getting hacked multiple times, ylod, whatever else happened... xbox only really got rrod and xbox live ddosed once afaik

To bad fanboys don't see it that way.
PS3 has YLOD, PSN getting hacked several times indeed.
Outages, FW upgrades that bricked consoles...

The 360 is an amazing console, much like the PS3.
Both have their ups and downs.
For me, the 360 wins cause of the back ground I have with Xbox.

D

Deleted User

To bad fanboys don't see it that way.
PS3 has YLOD, PSN getting hacked several times indeed.
Outages, FW upgrades that bricked consoles...

The 360 is an amazing console, much like the PS3.
Both have their ups and downs.
For me, the 360 wins cause of the back ground I have with Xbox.
one time i was having connectivity issues, i called microsoft, and after they helped they gave me 600MSP to buy something with, it was enough to get myself an interesting indie game

Reactions: DinohScene

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I had so much fun with the console when I first bought it. Then I sold it.

And after I bought it again after a few years I had SO much fun with it. Thanks to Dino for being so damn patient. We're so lucky that we have you here.

Really, thanks! :shy:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/owEOnspRpVk?si=rEd1m4Yi0aTKvjiv