Microsoft is discontinuing production of the Xbox 360

Xbox360_Console_controller_RHS_34_rgb_Launch2013-No-Kinect.png
After the console has had more than a 10 year run, Microsoft will now be stopping production of the Xbox 360. Microsoft has said that Xbox Live servers will still remain online for the time being, so that players can still access all the features of the console. The Xbox 360 has sold over 80 million units to date.

Xbox 360 means a lot to everyone in Microsoft. And while we’ve had an amazing run, the realities of manufacturing a product over a decade old are starting to creep up on us. Which is why we have made the decision to stop manufacturing new Xbox 360 consoles. We will continue to sell existing inventory of Xbox 360 consoles, with availability varying by country.
:arrow: Source

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
ah, pitty, i still haven't upgraded to Xbox One cause i still have plenty of fun with my 360.
Hope Live will still be on for some time and the're still doing the xbox gold 2 free games a month.
Also maybe it's time to get all my downloads back on my HDD, it crashed one time and had to replace it, still haven't redownloaded everything.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One poor kid electrocuted himself trying to fix his console and there's probably more stories mirroring that. All because MS monsters put profit before safety and quality. Even their first console was a death trap with poorly soldered power point connection.

I will hate you forever MS! criminals!

Not unplugging an electrical appliance from an outlet while you work on it, it's all criminal microsofts fault!

MURDERERS!

By the way you should google the Darwin Awards.

Just unplugging the device is not enough to be safe if someone doesn't know what he's doing. Capacitors can store lethal electrical charges for a long time. From wikipedia: "Capacitors may retain a charge long after power is removed from a circuit; this charge can cause dangerous or even potentially fatal shocks or damage connected equipment. For example, even a seemingly innocuous device such as a disposable-camera flash unit, powered by a 1.5 volt AA battery, has a capacitor which may contain over 15 joules of energy and be charged to over 300 volts."

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you think of it.. ps3 managed to run into more problems over its lifetime.. psn getting hacked multiple times, ylod, whatever else happened... xbox only really got rrod and xbox live ddosed once afaik
There were a few, like the christmas day outage and such. Although they shared the same design flaw the 360 had a much much higher failure rate at the start IIRC. I remember going through at least 1 launch PS3 and having to send it back but my phat model 360s? Oh man they gave me trouble until I bought a slim.

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's about damn time! Sorry, not sorry, but that generation ran for wayyyyy too long, it's about time they stopped supporting it. It's about time we moved past that generation and it shouldn't have taken 3 years to do that.

Right. Because The PS2 wasn't worth it. No not even all those 1000 odd games and more quality overall. The PS3/xb360/wii totally sucked and burned. THANK GOD its over with.

I see your point totally.

IpsoFact0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They are the reason Rare started going to shit, so I suppose you're right there.

Used to own an 360 for a year and then sold it a few months back.
Yeah some people will argue it but thats ok.

Xbox 360's owned over time: 8
Xbox 360's working (and still in my possession) : 6
Amount of JTAG/RGH consoles: 1
Amount of 360's you own : 0
-----------------------
if you hate 360's so much, do not post here about it. the EoF is all to welcome to hear your rant

That's a rather big assumption isint it? that i don't own a 360 or ever have? Actually i bought one on launch till it red ringed then i bought another slim literally just for Tales of Vesperia. 360 is one of the worst consoles hardware wise, over 50% failure rate, and software wise what does it have? besides jock shooters? Halo, GOW, COD ? compare the game list between the PS3 and 360..its a joke.

Original Xbox was a great console tho.

I wonder what games (non collector eidtions) will be expensive/hard to find for the 360 at this rate.
None, 360 was made in America, 360 games will be plentiful, maybe the rare game like Lost Odyssey or Tales of Vesperia.

Last edited by IpsoFact0,
D

Deleted User

Maybe you will get ps3 backward compatibility with ps4k.
most likely not... or very selective like the xbox -> 360 and the 360 -> one

Unless playstation has more of a history of backwards compatability

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
most likely not... or very selective like the xbox -> 360 and the 360 -> one

Unless playstation has more of a history of backwards compatability
Sony should be able to make a emulator. If ps4k uses zen, there will be no more thread problem.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, this was certainly a long time coming. I still have my 360, an old Elite model, and it still plays like new. But maybe this will give developers incentive to allow MS to port their games, so they can continue to get SOMETHING out of their work over the course of another console generation. And here's also hoping that MS also gets the backwards compatibility less wonky. Halo Reach is pretty much unplayable, lol.

D

Deleted User

I've been meaning to get a 360. There's a few games I want that aren't on BC and I was disappointed Conker Live and Reloaded wasn't in Rare Replay.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, this was certainly a long time coming. I still have my 360, an old Elite model, and it still plays like new. But maybe this will give developers incentive to allow MS to port their games, so they can continue to get SOMETHING out of their work over the course of another console generation. And here's also hoping that MS also gets the backwards compatibility less wonky. Halo Reach is pretty much unplayable, lol.
I'll invest in a Xbone when MS decides to add BC to physical Xbox360 discs.
Also I'll be making sure to get some xbox 360 controllers (since they break down quickly), before production ends. ( also for PC )
Lovely console ( I am a late adopter ) cheap second hand games, great great stuff.
Still ALOT of games to play I have in my collection....

Reactions: Arecaidian Fox

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How are you breaking 360 controllers? I have certainly had more robust controllers for things over the years but most broken 360 controllers I encounter are the result of abuse.

Reactions: DinohScene

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'll invest in a Xbone when MS decides to add BC to physical Xbox360 discs.
Also I'll be making sure to get some xbox 360 controllers (since they break down quickly), before production ends. ( also for PC )
Lovely console ( I am a late adopter ) cheap second hand games, great great stuff.
Still ALOT of games to play I have in my collection....

How are you able to break those?
Do you chuck them against a wall or something?

I know that after some years of use, the sticks will wear out but overall...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hp24nDVKvY