Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yesterday, The open source NESDS port was updated to a new EX version.

See twiztidsinz's post for more info.

EDIT: SOMUCHBETTERNAO

also link
tongue.gif

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nesds/file...RG.nds/download

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
[quote='README.TXT')nesDS EX Edition, using toolchain devkitARM.
We spent a few weeks to port the original nesDS project to the GCC toolchain. Then we made a new EX Edition, and
made it possible to emulate the the NES/FC games that the origianl nesDS didn't work well.
The original nesDS uses the NDS Video hardware the emulate the NES/FC's, so it has a good speed.
The Ex Edtion uses software to render the graphic of NES/FC, and the speed and sound not better than before.

The EX Edition is very nice, because we combine the two versions in to one NDS ROM, so we can enjoy boths.

Q: When to use EX Edition?
A: If the games you want to play works well on the original nesDS, then you have no need to use the EX Edition.
If not, then you can have a try with the EX Edition. If you want to know the figures of the EX Edition,
view the UPDATES.
Code:
nesDS EX Edition, using toolchain devkitARM.
We spent a few weeks to port the original nesDS project to the GCC toolchain. Then we made a new EX Edition, and
made it possible to emulate the the NES/FC games that the origianl nesDS didn't work well.
The original nesDS uses the NDS Video hardware the emulate the NES/FC's, so it has a good speed.
The Ex Edtion uses software to render the graphic of NES/FC, and the speed and sound not better than before.

The EX Edition is very nice, because we combine the two versions in to one NDS ROM, so we can enjoy boths.

Q: When to use EX Edition?
A: If the games you want to play works well on the original nesDS, then you have no need to use the EX Edition. 
If not, then you can have a try with the EX Edition. If you want to know the figures of the EX Edition,
view the UPDATES.

UPDATES:
--------
0.22b
mappers supported: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, 16, 19, 74, 246 (EX's mapper files is very different from the original.)
function added: cheat

CHANGES£º
--------

Touch screen should work better now
Fixed bug that was causing ARM7 to crash on emulators (ideas and desemu inputs were not working) 

NOTES:
------

All other functionality should be identical to the original. nesDS inputs now work properly on 
emulators. You can run the nesDS on ideas by DLDI patching it with the R4 dldi patch using
dlditool. You must then enable DLDI support for R4 under File->Properties. You can also run nesDS 
on desmume but you will need to create a filesystem image from some files and embed the files to 
the emulator (you need to use fcsr for this).

COMPILING:
----------

You need devkitARM to compile this project. If you are compiling on windows you also need mingw. On linux you
will need to have make installed. 

The project compiles on windows and linux using devkitARM r32 (devkitPro). To compile on windows use
msys-1.0.15 (devkitPro) as well. You do not need anyhting else to comiple the project.

Compiling on windows:

1) extract devkitARM to a folder
2) extract msys to a folder
3) add DEVKITARM environment variableÂÂand set its value to the path where you extracted devkitARM, 
e.g: /c/devkitARM (must be linux style path!)
4) (OPTIONAL) add path to msys binaries in you windows path, e.g: c:\msys\bin (must be windows style path!)

You only need to do step 4 if you want to compile from the windows command shell. You can compile the project
without step 4 by launching mingw using msys.bat in the msys folder.

5) change to the project main directory, either in the windows command shell (step4 required) or mingw then
type make.

Compiling on linux:

1) extract devkitARM
2) create a DEVKITARM shell variable with the path to where you extracted devkitARM, e.g: /usr/local/devkitARM

You can create a variable in /etc/profile or in your home directory .bash_profile file as follows

export DEVKITARM=/usr/local/devkitARM

or just type this command in the shell before typing make

3) change to the project main directory then type make.

To delete all object files type:

make clean

in the main project directory

If you make changes to the emulator and want to add them to this project or if you want to join the project notify us
on http://sourceforge.net/projects/nesds

CREDITS:
--------

Original nesDS team
Dwedit (pocketnesgcc)

QUOTE(impizkit]Where to get said emu?[/quote]http://sourceforge.net/projects/nesds/files/

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does this update let you use buttons for saving and loading states? I'm using a mod that lets me use Select and Up/Down as a hotkey for saving and loading, because the touch controls on nesDS are weird, and I've accidentally saved instead of loading and vice versa multiple times.

Recorderdude

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OK, so far: (In EX MODE, the other mode is just the old NESDS)

Noah's Ark (E) is now playable (in the old NESDS it would place you too high and kill you before you could play)
The Lolo games are playable now.
Karateka (J) works
Enemies are visible in Ninja Gaiden III.
It's still beta tho.

Mike Tyson's Punch out is borken crashes NESDSEX. ABORT! message appears.
Same for akamajou dracula boku dracula kun. (kid dracula)
Same for...Akamajou Densetsu (Castlevania 3 JP)...

I can't test all day, so other testers, try the problem games on another world's list to see what else works.

Dunno about saving/loading but since it's completely open surce you could add it.

Pretty much, This is a faster NesterDS, still a little skippy, but not HALF as much.

Compatibility is a mixed bag.

Overall, either something works well or it crashes the emulator. No in-betweens.

One of the first things you should do is adjust the resolution as its initial setting crops the top and bottom of the screen, BTW.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Arkanoid (U): Semi-Playable.
Previously the paddle was not movable, now the paddle is movable but invisible most of the time. Opening the bottom screen menu fixes the the majority of the graphics (you can close it again). However, there is a slight sluggishness (possibly related to the frameskip?) and the audio crackles.

Also, it doesn't seem to be loading my old Zelda savestate -- which it just overwrote because of the weird bottom screen tracking -_-

It seems "ORG" mode (hold A after you select the game) isn't actually the original mode. Arkanoid works perfectly with no sound issues or laggy/choppy frames.

Recorderdude

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Arkanoid (U): Semi-Playable.
Previously the paddle was not movable, now the paddle is movable but invisible most of the time. Opening the bottom screen menu fixes the the majority of the graphics (you can close it again). However, there is a slight sluggishness (possibly related to the frameskip?) and the audio crackles.

Also, it doesn't seem to be loading my old Zelda savestate -- which it just overwrote because of the weird bottom screen tracking -_-

It seems "ORG" mode (hold A after you select the game) isn't actually the original mode. Arkanoid works perfectly with no sound issues or laggy/choppy frames.

Tried Arkanoid (U)
A few things to note:

- The paddle is never invisible, you just have to change the resolution
- On the display/resolution tab you can adjust Frameskip to a max of 9 and Min of 2. Works very well on 2.
-I noticed no lag
-SaveState works fine

About ORG mode:

ORG mode is their EARLIER open source port of NESDS that used the same hardware emulation. This means they DID fix a few things in it, like arkanoid. However a few games (Noah's Ark, one of the Lolos) NEED EX version to run.

One other thing: NESDSEX doesn't seem to save your configuration upon exit, so you have to re-enter your settings on EVERY boot.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, popped in and saw this, so I thought I would attempt something. Here is the extlink+mod version of NesDSEx...I haven't really tried it much, but it should work just fine. Also, instead of using select, I changed it to start because start just pauses the game whereas select can actually do something (like toss out the animal buddy in Little Nemo: The Dream Master)
-BLARGH...this one is a borked file, scroll down to my other post for one that is less screwed up-
-edit-
I forgot to mention that I also added the feature to start from the "ROM" folder like in the original mod...you can hex edit it up to around...20 characters.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
- On the display/resolution tab you can adjust Frameskip to a max of 9 and Min of 2. Works very well on 2.
-I noticed no lag
-SaveState works fineNever said there was lag or save states didn't work, but the new version and old version savestates don't seem to be compatible.

Maybe it's just the one game, or just my copy of the game, but in Legend of Zelda, nesDS EX/ORG couldn't read my savestates from the pre-EX version.
After trying to load it again (after a restart of my system) when I accidentally hit save since the bottom screen tracking is a little off/weird (due to the new row of tabs?) I hit save. This new SaveState loaded fine in EX, but not the old nesDS -- it just crashed the emulator. The savestate loads fine in EX mode, haven't tested in ORG mode.

QUOTE(jurassicplayer @ Feb 8 2011, 08:27 PM) Hey all, popped in and saw this, so I thought I would attempt something. Here is the extlink+mod version of NesDSEx...I haven't really tried it much, but it should work just fine. Also, instead of using select, I changed it to start because start just pauses the game whereas select can actually do something (like toss out the animal buddy in Little Nemo: The Dream Master)
http://www.mediafire.com/?pbg6g6bv897ll56
-edit-
I forgot to mention that I also added the feature to start from the "ROM" folder like in the original mod...you can hex edit it up to around...20 characters.
NICE!
Where do you edit the starting folder? (I want to use "nesDS")
And unrelated to your change, but do you perhaps know how to get nesDS to start with B+A instead of Y+B? (as in what to change in the source?)

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Turrican works now, but the graphics are glitchy. Before though, it was unplayable, at least you can play it now.

But it sucks that it takes you all the way back to the beginning of the level when you die in the NES version. How can they make such a fatal mistake and get through playtesting? Not nesDS's fault though.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. Who thought of this name? Were they intentionally trying to call it nesDSEX?
readme.txt said:
Is the underlined word a typo?
3. @Yuan: W00T that's awesome.
4. Does this finally have the DPCM sound in it (ex. SMB3 drums)? Or no?
5. @jurassicplayer: Thanks for that mod. I'll be using it. (EDIT: On second thought, if it only functions as an extlink, then maybe not. I'll give it a try)
look i made a list

EDIT2: jurassicplayer, where do you hexedit to change the default folder?

Recorderdude

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
1. Who thought of this name? Were they intentionally trying to call it nesDSEX?
readme.txt said:
The Ex Edtion uses software to render the graphic of NES/FC, and the speed and sound not better than before.Is the underlined word a typo?
4. Does this finally have the DPCM sound in it (ex. SMB3 drums)? Or no?

1. Lol Idunno
2. No, speed is a TINY bit slower in EX mode sometimes, but most of the time it's about the same. sound's a little buzzy tho (but nowhere near as buzzy as, say, MAME4ALLDSTWO.)
4. No
frown.gif

QUOTE(machomuu @ Feb 8 2011, 09:21 PM)
Are there any cons compared to using the original NESDS, any reason I would have to go back to using NESDS?

More games crash in EX/software render mode (I think it might be related to filename length though) but there is NO reason to use any other NESDS because if you hold A when starting it up it switches to ORG mode (Hardware rendering mode) which is essentialy a further fixed version of the original NESDS.

A few pointers:

Set frameskip to 2 in EX mode, ALWAYS. You can barely tell its a SOFTWARE rendering emu, makes nesterDS shit its pants in jealosy and fear, that's for sure. YOU WILL HAVE TO DO THIS EVERY TIME YOU BOOT A NEW ROM
Readjust the screen res at least a little.

FastForward isn't half as fast in EX mode, and Rewind is super-fast
tongue.gif

Oh, btwai, that earth bound zero game is work now.

Also, the next guy to edit this, set the default frameskip to 2 and the default screen to squashed a little. It would be a VERY helpful edit.

tomrev

Trophies
Website
www.buycheapipodshop.com
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Are there any cons compared to using the original NESDS, any reason I would have to go back to using NESDS?
As far as I know, it fixed some graphic glitches (for example, Ninja gaiden 1 but some games may freeze. You can try to swap between versions.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I fixed stuff that I borked the first time around (after actually trying it a little more)...mostly it was just a problem with the start+select shortcut (which opens to the rom folder). I also reworded the string from ROM to Retro because it is way easier to find (character limit is still 20, though I can make it more if anyone wants).
-BLARGH...this one is a borked file, scroll down to my other post for one that is less screwed up-

I'm still an UBER newb at looking at this stuff, so I dunno if I can find what is needed to make A+B the default button settings, but I'll find it eventually maybe...if I don't break this thing beyond recognition at least. Also, before I forget...Taiju is the one that added the extlink to the source files (to the original one at least) and I just copied the stuff that I thought was needed to make it work as an extlink (and it does work) and the mod was from

tomrev

Trophies
Website
www.buycheapipodshop.com
XP
Country
United States
DQ3(U) crashed for NESDSEX. It looks like some games crashed but could swap to original version. Speed is a little slower. Added Frameskip is nice. Some games are fixed. I'm happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: wait +1