New 'Castlevania' Game Coming To iOS In Japan

castlevania grimoire of souls.png

As sneakily as a certain tactical espionage action expert, Konami has been working on a brand new Castlevania game for iOS devices. Named Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls, the game will enter in closed beta in Japan.

The official website (in Japanese) gives a synopsis of the setting:

Eternal peace seems to have finally come to the world in a future where Count Dracula has completely disappeared... until someone decides to bring him back...

Players will take control of a mysterious newcomer to the series, Arima Genta, who will be aided throughout the game by his sidekick Lucy. The website also mentions that the game will support both solo and co-op play up to four players.

ss_system_01.jpg

characters.JPG ss_system_02.jpg ss_system_04.jpg ss_system_08.jpg
Some gameplay screenshots provided by the website

There is no word of a release date nor of an international release at the time of writing.

:arrow: Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls Official Website

chirogan

The Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
It's a shame so many games release on IOS first.

That's the one advantage of its locked down platform - developers know they will actually be paid for their work.
IOS is and will be the launchpad for most apps due to compatibility and it will be for a while. IOS devices are closed and standard unlike android hardwares which varies from manufacturer to another manufacturer.

Not to mention the rampant sideloading of games in android which can be as easy as downloading the package and OBB. Though these doesnt directly affect the game sales, losses are still losses. I knew a lot of iphone users who likes to buy stuff in ios but later shifted to androids just to sideload apps.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know Konmai, a new castlevania on the switch would sell. a Physical release will stand out on the store shelves.
But you keep ignoring something that you will profit from. Maybe thats why you fail lately? Phones aint your salvation. Epic new games for switch could be. Make it shine like you did on NES and SNES....

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was excited for minute then i read IOS and Japan
really saddens me that they never made this classic franchise into a full 3d franchise
inb4 hate from 2d purists
the 64 games were pretty good for their time
i never played the ps2 titles but it all seemed to go down hill from there
the linear ps3 title was another disappointment they could have done great things with this franchise
i would have loved to have seen an open world CV game with simon's quest elements
lots of different towns and mansions to visit , classic weapons,items ,characters and enemies
transitioned into 3d with a simple zelda feel not and turn based rpg feel
the series just went full weeb after 64 i did not care for it at all after that

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's a shame so many games release on IOS first.

That's the one advantage of its locked down platform - developers know they will actually be paid for their work.
They could always just implement a license check. The game will probably be full of microtransactions anyway so I wouldn't be surprised if it required an Internet connection to run.

Reactions: x65943

EddieEddie90

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'll be picking this up soon enough, but pretty sure micro transactions won't be a miss.
Harmony of Despair had a bunch of those.

It had a few, just like 4 of the stages and some characters because it was released at a time when companies still got the heart.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'll be picking this up soon enough, but pretty sure micro transactions won't be a miss.
Harmony of Despair had a bunch of those.

It had a few, just like 4 of the stages and some characters because it was released at a time when companies still got the heart.
There were no Microtransactions in Harmony of Despair. It was DLC. There is quite a difference.

Reactions: x65943

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The question is, what's the gameplay going to be like? Based on the fact that there only seems to be a jump button plus some stuff in the top middle, I'd guess you automatically run forward or something? And there's a timer at the top, which could be a clock, but it probably is some sort of playtime limit. Plus what seems to be some sort of VS mode in the second screenshot? I can't say I have high hopes for this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eo3Bh06drc