Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've got two things to say about this.
1. It's a fucking dick move to make the New 3DS have exclusive games since it's not a new console, only an updated version.
So I take it it was also a dick move to make exclusive Game Boy Color games? Or exclusive DSi content? Those too were released as "revisions" by Nintendo, even though they were in fact successors, really.
2. I've been sticking with my day-1 3DS, and was so envious of everyone with a 3DS XL since it looks great. Now I got a great reason to update to the New 3DS XL... so I'm happy for that. Too bad it's out 2015! Would've been great for christmas!
There you go! Something positive!

There is something that does puzzle me though. We've been through E3, Gamescom and Tokyo Game Show is still up ahead... why reveal this now? Why not make a grand reveal on a conference where the eyes of the whole world are upon you? Why all this sneakyness? Nobody's going to convince me that they've wrapped this redesign up in a weekend - this was in the works for at least a year.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Same I have alot of DS games & I love backwards capability

I don't care for backwards compatibility in home consoles, but it's a big deal for me in handhelds. It's completely understandable between seriously major revisions (GBA to DS, though the DS kept GBA compatibility until the DSi), but I think like-systems should be compatible. I'm expecting to not have DS compatibility during Nintendo's next "real" new handheld, but as for now, I'm not quite ready to need THREE go to Nintendo handhelds to keep all bases covered (GBA SP, 3DS, and whatever comes next).

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So I take it it was also a dick move to make exclusive Game Boy Color games? Or exclusive DSi content? Those too were released as "revisions" by Nintendo, even though they were in fact successors, really.

That's the point. The Game Boy Color was a successor, really, even though they might have called it a revision at the time. And the exclusive DSi content wasn't all that... important. It didn't get game cartridges that didn't work on the DS or DSlite. It had an online store and got some exclusive digital content sure, but to me that just felt like something extra.
Releasing a slightly upgraded 3DS that's still a 3DS feels less okay, since it'll get exclusive cartridges and stuff. Either do a completely new console which is backwards compatible with the 3DS, or update the design / screens / battery life but keep all games available for all 3DS's.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's the point. The Game Boy Color was a successor, really, even though they might have called it a revision at the time. And the exclusive DSi content wasn't all that... important. It didn't get game cartridges that didn't work on the DS or DSlite. It had an online store and got some exclusive digital content sure, but to me that just felt like something extra.
Yes it did. They were unpopular, but they existed - let's not pretend that they didn't. That, and there's a bunch of DSiWare for it. That, and all of the DSiEnhanced games can easily count too.
QTbmNXy.jpg
Releasing a slightly upgraded 3DS that's still a 3DS feels less okay, since it'll get exclusive cartridges and stuff. Either do a completely new console which is backwards compatible with the 3DS, or update the design / screens / battery life but keep all games available for all 3DS's.
The GBC got exclusive carts too, so did the DSi as we've established. Not a lot of cartridges, but a lot of digital games that none of the DS owners could play.

Besides, you defend the GBC, but it was also a minor update. Other than an increased clock and some more space for palettes, it was almost an identical system. It was a minor upgrade, but it succeeded because it had exclusive content that made the purchase worth it.

Reactions: NEP

Veign06

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tastes are like buttholes - everyone has their own, but it's generally frowned upon when you rub one against someone's face. It's Zelda: OoT - what other score do you think a review outlet could give it not to face backlash from the fans? I personally think the game was not updated enough to warrant a full-price re-release. It was "remade" from the ground and yet "felt" 13 years old - that's a good sign that the remake was botched.
Yeah because that makes it "hardly playable" or "ugly crap". Yeah out of 85 reviews, the lowest was a 70 b/c no one wanted to hear the backlash...yeah okay. Like it or not, sure whatever...but anyone saying its was ugly crap and hardly playable is full of it, sorry.

Reactions: Nightwish

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah because that makes it "hardly playable" or "ugly crap". Yeah out of 85 reviews, the lowest was a 70 b/c no one wanted to hear the backlash...yeah okay. Like it or not, sure whatever...but anyone saying its was ugly crap and hardly playable is full of it, sorry.
In think it was meh - it was barely any different from the original. Sure, it had better textures and a higher polycount, but it was the exact same game, which to me is a flaw. I played it, it felt like an old N64 game, I didn't like it and I never came back for more. If you're remaking something, at least make sure that the final product feels like a new game before you ask full price for it. Maybe I wouldn't go as far as to call it "ugly" or "unplayable", but I think more could be done to refresh the title.

nodnyl10

Trophies
XP
Country
Aside from the mini-Right Analog Stick they added.. I really don't wanna buy any 3DS or anything flipping thingy handhelds. I had 2 DS (the original and the Lite) and both DS got broken with the same problem. The ribbon of some sort that connects to the top screen whatchamacallit and now it just shows white screen (sometimes fixes itself if positioned correctly but good luck) so having a hard time playing it.

I was so delighted to see the Nintendo 2DS in which, it's a straight design without flipping, and it's cheaper than the 3DS due to it being non-3D. I'd wish it has a 3D effect though because I wanna show it to my mom whom very fond of Nintendo gadgets (she finished every Mario platformer in the house) so seeing 3D renderized Mario-related image is gonna be great (she finished the New SMB2 before me btw).

Does anyone here somewhat agrees that they want a Nintendo 3DS that's like this..

- 2DS Design (flat / non-flip)
- 3D effect (can be turned on and off)
- 4 shoulder buttons
- Mini Right Analog Stick
- Stereo Sound (the 2DS is mono)

PS: What's a built-in NFC??? Nintendo Famicom? NES Emulator???

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yes it did. They were unpopular, but they existed - let's not pretend that they didn't. That, and there's a bunch of DSiWare for it. That, and all of the DSiEnhanced games can easily count too.
The GBC got exclusive carts too, so did the DSi as we've established. Not a lot of cartridges, but a lot of digital games that none of the DS owners could play.

Besides, you defend the GBC, but it was also a minor update. Other than an increased clock and some more space for palettes, it was almost an identical system. It was a minor upgrade, but it succeeded because it had exclusive content that made the purchase worth it.

I honestly didn't know there were DSi exclusive cartridges, as I've never ever heard of those. I knew of enhanced games, which I think is fine. And the DSiWare is also fine since the original DS didn't have an online store and wasn't made to play downloadable games.

And yes, I "defend" the GBC. I regard it as a successor even though it was a minor update. The Game Boy was released in 1989, and the GBC in 1998. That's 9 years later. I think it's okay to release new exclusive games that takes the increased clock speed and colors into consideration. The 3DS came in 2011, the 3DSXL in 2012, the 2DS in 2013 and now in 2014 (in Japan) the New 3DS will be released. With exclusive content. NOW is a time to feel screwed for getting the system early, since you've bought an inferior product that will be missing out on new content. I guess it boils down to the time for me.

I just find it bad that the most expensive handheld Nintedo put out becomes obsolete in 3 years. Oh, and with the really expensive circle pad extension that gave the original 3DS four shoulder buttons and a second circle pad that were used for only a handful of games... still won't be of any use.

EDIT:
PS: What's a built-in NFC??? Nintendo Famicom? NES Emulator???
NFC is Near Field Communication... It's like the "put a statue ontop of the wii u gamepad to get some special thing in a game"-thing...

Reactions: TemplarGR

UraKn0x

Official senpai
Trophies
XP
Country
France
As the only thread that was used to speak about sssPWN has been locked, I think it could be a good idea to have one thread to speak about the upcoming exploit without being off-topic quickly.

So I hope this thread will not be a flame-battlefield and this will not be locked as soon it is open.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So it's okay to utilize increased clock speed and a colour screen on a GBC, but it's not okay to utilize the increased clock speed of the new 3DS? Why? Because it's not as far apart from the original as the GBC was with the GB?

Everybody keeps spelling doom and gloom and how their 3DS'es are obsolete now - they're not obsolete. The darned thing is just getting a few exclusive games, just like the DSi and the GBC did before it - big whoop. 3DS games will continue to come out and if Nintendo has any sense, future games will be N3DS-Enhanced to provide a superior experience on the new revision. This does two things - it keeps the millions-strong fanbase around and it entices it to migrate to the new revision with stuff that just can't be played on the old one.

As I've said earlier in the thread - get the N3DS, System Transfer, sell old 3DS, bam! You've got yourself a superior system at a minimal expense - best of both worlds.

Reactions: NEP and T-hug

UraKn0x

Official senpai
Trophies
XP
Country
France
williamcesar2 said:
talking about something that will never be released? :hateit:
UraKn0x said:
So I hope this thread will not be a flame-battlefield
Please... If you do not want to see a page full of threads about SSSpwn, keep this thread clean from flame.
As soon a thread about SSSpwn is closed, a new one is opened. I suggest to keep only ONE.

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If every thread has been locked everytime for the same reason why did you think this was a good idea?
Also discuss what? It'll get released when it gets released.

UraKn0x

Official senpai
Trophies
XP
Country
France

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the changes except for the exclusives idea. It seems like a middle finger to those that invested in any of the previous models. I just hope the exclusives are just ports or games I don't care about.

Reactions: Issac

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a