New Intellivision Amico Gamescom trailer gives a glimpse at some of its exclusive games

The Intellivision Amico has certainly gained notoriety ever since its reveal, boldly claiming it would have more impressive 2D visuals than the current console generation. It's been almost a year since that initial tease, and at Gamescom 2019, we got a better look at what exactly the Amico will have to offer. In a new trailer, Tommy Tallarico talks about the goal of the Amico, and his desire to create family-friendly games that are simple and easy for people to play together. The new system, which looks like a 90's MP3 player crossed a wireless landline phone, will also come in five color variations: red, purple, gold, silver, and black. There will be 17 titles at launch, all of them exclusive to the Amico; in fact, every game on the console will be an exclusive. Some of the games received brief snippets of footage in the trailer, though there was no mention of the new Earthworm Jim game. The Intellivision Amico will launch on October 10, 2020 for $149, with each of its games costing $2.99 to $9.99.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The Wii has not received any meaningful new titles in years. (I am not counting Just Dance.)
A lot of casuals who bought the Wii years ago, when it was relevant (and many did - it's pretty much the same audience) have already thoroughly exhausted its library.
The prospect of new games coming out is one thing it holds over the Wii, as well as being able to buy brand new more easily and having presumably less draconian storage. To give you an idea, the limit for WiiWare games was roughly 40MB, and the Wii had 512MB of NAND storage. So it's going to be a far more potent platform for digital distribution combined with the fact that games will be $2.99-$8.99 without needing to buy used games with varying degrees of wear usually for a higher price (Mario Kart Wii still sells for at least twice the max Amico game price). Semi-related, better hardware too.

Besides, a lot of casuals are not interested in buying old consoles that are bordering on "retro" now - the Wii is 13 this year, which is older than many kids who would be playing this if this is billed as a family console. The Switch is the closest current competitor but currently costs twice as much as the Amico, and while it's accessible enough, the Amico is even easier for millions of older people who would never touch a game controller. Also, some parents are concerned about giving their kids a device with too much functionality, even having internet connectivity. This negates the need for parental controls outright since as far as I can tell the only connectivity will be with a games store - I can't see intellivision hopping into online gaming.
Game pricing isn't even comparable even if you were to buy used Switch games. Amico is far cheaper overall.

So yeah I'd stand to reason, as someone who has a Wii, that I'm not the only one who's interested in the system for various reasons.
they are competing with smartphone games imo, since games with no end that are "cheap" or fremium is smartphone gaming booklet, so yeah parents just prefer to let their kids play on their already owned phones or tablets, i dont know a single kid that doesnt have a tablet, so the kinda of games they showed could all be easily playable on tablets and for free with ads and such so yeah, i see this failling big time, it will be on the discount bin if its sold on retailers in less than 2 months, much like ps1 classic, which is discounted to like 30 euros on discounts bins everywhere here, no one bought the damn thing.

Reactions: wiewiec

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1