New Labo video turns the Switch into a guitar

New video shows how players can transform their Nintendo Switch into a rubber band guitar:[prebreak]1[/prebreak]

In the latest Nintendo Labo video, Nintendo provides an in-depth look at Toy-Con Garage mode and demonstrates how players can transform their Nintendo Switch into a rubber band guitar.

Nintendo Labo is a new line of interactive make, play and discover experiences designed to inspire creative minds and playful hearts alike. Together with the Nintendo Switch console, the Nintendo Labo kits provide the tools and technology to make fun DIY creations, play games with your creations, and discover how Nintendo Switch technology shapes ideas into reality.

Nintendo Labo launches in Europe on 27th April with two kits: the Variety Kit and the Robot Kit. Both kits include everything you need to bring your Toy-Con to life, including the building materials and relevant Nintendo Switch software.

:arrow:Nintendo Labo Official Site

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm more surprised that you can create new instruments. It seems like the imagination sets the limit right now. Also this can learn kids simple programming, so it's a really clever system for pre-school to 4-6 grade.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I remember when people were laughing at the Labo concept. Now first two comments are praise lol.

Honestly the potential for those Labo stuff's pretty wide.
I was actually never against it. I hoped for customzation and Nintendo seem to deliver on it! As I said in one of my previous comments about Labo.

"They say Nintendo are for kids?! Well then let's take over the schools!"

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's not really a guitar. You can play 5 or so different tones by pressing the touchscreen, but that's by far not what a guitar can do. You can't change the length of a note, you can't modify the frequency of a single button without changing the other ones etc.

And the rubber band is only cosmetic, it doesn't have any functional purpose.

Eurasiam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not really a guitar. You can play 5 or so different tones by pressing the touchscreen, but that's by far not what a guitar can do. You can't change the length of a note, you can't modify the frequency of a single button without changing the other ones etc.

Damn. Next you'll say Santa isn't real and the easter bunny doesn't leave eggs for us D:

But besides that, this is really interesting. I don't have the proper creativity for something like this but it'll be fun to see more of the awesome stuff people make with Labo.

Reactions: ATofix and xs4all

TheRealNGB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Why wouldn't you be able to change the length of the note, there are two possible ways I can see doing this, one simply letting go of the button, or in the case of a open note pressing a button, and two, have one more button on the strumming side for palm muting, obviously your not going to get the full range of functionality as a real guitar, but technically you don't really need it either, plenty of bands have reached main stream success, and/or even reached legendary status with the use of a simple 3 chord progression, just look at The Beatles, Kiss, or something even slightly more modern like Sublime's "What I got" which pretty much only uses two chords.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Why wouldn't you be able to change the length of the note, there are two possible ways I can see doing this, one simply letting go of the button, or in the case of a open note pressing a button, and two, have one more button on the strumming side for palm muting
The video showed that they configured the notes with a fixed length. It would be possible with a proper programming language, but it seems not to be possible with the toy con garage.

I like the idea of labo, and I like their realization of the piano a lot, but what they showed in this video is not a guitar. It's a very, very, very basic synthesizer with very few options. Something you could do much better and much cheaper with a PC, DIY electronics or about every keyboard.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The video showed that they configured the notes with a fixed length. It would be possible with a proper programming language, but it seems not to be possible with the toy con garage.

I like the idea of labo, and I like their realization of the piano a lot, but what they showed in this video is not a guitar. It's a very, very, very basic synthesizer with very few options. Something you could do much better and much cheaper with a PC, DIY electronics or about every keyboard.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions right now when all we know about the programming is what is shown in the videos. And even if it is that limited, I'm sure skilled people will be doing stuff with it that you think is impossible right now. You can modulate the frequency of tones by binding it to the gyroscope of the Joy Con. Why wouldn't you be able to bind the tone length to any other input?

The guitar shown also has some value as it saves beginners from memorizing chords, since you can alter between different chords by simply pressing single buttons. I can see myself making use of that. For an actual lead guitar you might think of a different solution, of course. Though, who's to say that this wouldn't be technically feasible as well?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what are you even talking about the switch has plenty of games
To be fair, most of them are ports. The Switch doesn't have many exclusives and when it does have exclusives, it's cheap gimmicky shit like this.

Probably needs another year before the real exclusive games roll in much like the 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Weird I have been playing MSU enhanced Genesis games for a while now lol