New report claims the Switch's successor will launch next year, with third-party developers in possession of dev kits

download (1).jpeg

The rumour mill continues around the successor to the Switch, but is this one the one? According to Video Games Chronicle, and corroborated by Eurogamer, Nintendo is likely to release its next-gen hardware in the second half of 2024. VGC's sources, which include "multiple people with knowledge of Nintendo's next-gen console plans", claim that the device will be useable in handheld mode and support physical cartridges like the Switch. However, backwards compatibility remains unclear.

The next-gen hardware will also apparently sport an LCD display, instead of an OLED one, in order to keep costs low while packing higher storage for higher fidelity games. Dev kits of the system are also with key partners, according to the report.

Of course, take this report with a grain of salt as these are unofficial news and rumours around a Switch Pro or Switch 2 have been around for a while. But eventually, we will get a successor to the Switch in one form or another; and whether it will replicate the latter's success remains to be seen.

:arrow: SOURCE

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
This rumor has happened every year for the past 5 years.
Eventually it's going to be correct.

No backwards compatibility would be such a massive failure. The switch has an incredible library and to just abandon that would be a huge mistake. It also needs an SSD. Switch load times are brutal.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It will be interesting to see what kind of chip will power the inevitable Switch successor now that NVidia threw all the pretense of mobile chips by the wayside and designated the Tegra range to automotive devices, exceeding the cooling capacity or power delivery of the average handheld by orders of magnitude. If anything, I can imagine some kind of X2-based stopgap console, but after that Nintendo’s a bit in the weeds with this range unless they request custom silicon from the get go.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Switch plays Switch games better than the Steam Deck.
I hope the Steam Deck can improve its compatibility over the lifespan, then we wouldn't need to get a Switch. :)

It will be interesting to see what kind of chip will power the inevitable Switch successor now that NVidia threw all the pretense of mobile chips by the wayside and designated the Tegra range to automotive devices, exceeding the cooling capacity or power delivery of the average handheld by orders of magnitude. If anything, I can imagine some kind of X2-based stopgap console, but after that Nintendo’s a bit in the weeds with this range unless they request custom silicon from the get go.
I'm curious how it would be possible to modchip the Switch if it has a different hardware revision, perhaps its the same as the OLED or the Mariko.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
No backwards compatibility would be such a massive failure. The switch has an incredible library and to just abandon that would be a huge mistake. It also needs an SSD. Switch load times are brutal.
If Nintendo ever releases a new console (which is far from certain as far as I'm concerned), it won't be backwards compatible, that's for sure. That way they'll be able to re-release all the Switch catalogue like they did for the Wii U games. That's the only way Nintendo can possibly support their systems nowadays.

EpikJimmer

Screw hater
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

The rumour mill continues around the successor to the Switch, but is this one the one? According to Video Games Chronicle, and corroborated by Eurogamer, Nintendo is likely to release its next-gen hardware in the second half of 2024. VGC's sources, which include "multiple people with knowledge of Nintendo's next-gen console plans", claim that the device will be useable in handheld mode and support physical cartridges like the Switch. However, backwards compatibility remains unclear.

The next-gen hardware will also apparently sport an LCD display, instead of an OLED one, in order to keep costs low while packing higher storage for higher fidelity games. Dev kits of the system are also with key partners, according to the report.

Of course, take this report with a grain of salt as these are unofficial news and rumours around a Switch Pro or Switch 2 have been around for a while. But eventually, we will get a successor to the Switch in one form or another; and whether it will replicate the latter's success remains to be seen.

:arrow: SOURCE
Pfft yeah, and I'm Wario himself.
What's next Nintendo? Mario Kart 9 but with a twist? The twist being that it wasn't even mk9 and it was just mk8dx dlc?

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Nintendo ever releases a new console (which is far from certain as far as I'm concerned), it won't be backwards compatible, that's for sure. That way they'll be able to re-release all the Switch catalogue like they did for the Wii U games. That's the only way Nintendo can possibly support their systems nowadays.
The problem with that idea is Nintendo didn't actually make many new IP for the Switch unlike the WiiU which is kind of the pillar of Switch games.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2ghz 1080p 60fps 6gb ram oled screen
Speculation has it at a minimum of 8GB and a maximum of 16GB ram, with 12GB being the middle ground. Probably depends how much devs push for more ram this time around.

Will sell you a dock that will convert that to a PS5.
Eh. I can see the dock helping with cooling, but they may as well just make a home console version of the next Switch, because I doubt a dock with actual power is going be cheap.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pfft yeah, and I'm Wario himself.
What's next Nintendo? Mario Kart 9 but with a twist? The twist being that it wasn't even mk9 and it was just mk8dx dlc?
It will have Mario Kart 8 ported to it. Oh what joy. Those ARM code was so good that they don't even port it to ARM64.

Last edited by TomSwitch,
Reactions: Ligeia

EpikJimmer

Screw hater
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
i dont even care what this company does anymore

OH WAIT I REMEMBEREED!!! MARIO RPG AND MARIO WONDER!!! NEVER MIND ALL THE SHITTY THINGS NINTENDO DID YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

(i didnt forget about gilvasunner, brawlsmtmt5 whatshisname and that guy you took HALF OF HIS FUCKING SALARY nintendo)

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rumour mill or not, Eurogamer has corroborated this report.
Even with Eurogamer corroborated this article, it didn’t help to make me believe that is true and reliable because there were a lot of rumor mills on Switch Pro and next-gen that turned out to be not happened.

Want to make me believe? I want a hard evidence with pictures of truly next-gen that is successor to Switch.

Nintendo would have to announce about next-gen console later this year if they want to release next-gen console next year, so one more reason about not believe those articles right now, until Nintendo make an announcement.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even with Eurogamer corroborated this article, it didn’t help to make me believe that is true and reliable because there were a lot of rumor mills on Switch Pro and next-gen that turned out to be not happened.

Want to make me believe? I want a hard evidence with pictures of truly next-gen that is successor to Switch.

Nintendo would have to announce about next-gen console later this year if they want to release next-gen console next year, so one more reason about not believe those articles right now, until Nintendo make an announcement.
Believe or not makes no difference unless there is a gaming jar with the money that you might want to save for it.

Or just choose to believe what makes you happier.

I choose to believe SciresM will make CFW for this new one too on June 15. Don't mind what he said about not doing it.

Reactions: JeepX87

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Believe or not makes no difference unless there is a gaming jar with the money that you might want to save for it.

Or just choose to believe what makes you happier.
Some members talk about lack of backward compatibility on next-gen console gave me a headache and concerned that Nintendo isn’t going with latest and faster NVIDIA Tegra for next-gen console for performance reason.

If next-gen console come with no BC, I would only buy one and throw in closet, even no games until become a hackable.
Post automatically merged:

They may still support the Switch at that time, but no way they are waiting until 2026 to release the next console.
It is going to depends about how much new games that come in the fall to be sold, also numbers of Switch sold during holiday this year.

If it does well, Nintendo could continue with other titles like Earthbound, Yoshi, F-Zero, Mario & Luigi series, sequel to Mario Odyssey, etc.

If it don’t sell well, so Nintendo definitely prioritize the next-gen console to be released sooner than 2026.

Last edited by JeepX87,

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just hope it's going to be as easy to hack as the original Switch, best homebrew console of all time

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some members talk about lack of backward compatibility on next-gen console gave me a headache and concerned that Nintendo isn’t going with latest and faster NVIDIA Tegra for next-gen console for performance reason.

If next-gen console come with no BC, I would only buy one and throw in closet, even no games until become a hackable.
I think the hardware won't knock your socks off. Just some old chip from Nvidia.
What you can expect is Switch compatibility.
Maybe for the next Switch they can use chip from MediaTek. https://www.androidpolice.com/mediatek-chips-nvidia-gpu/

Using a chip with ARM64 and Nvidia GPU is a safer bet.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Backward compatibility unclear....

Well its time lube up fanboys to be Rodgerd good n proper for its next gen will highly likely be subpar to the PS4/XBX1, so having its main media format as cart is going to be very fucking expensive thus yet again third party devs will avoid releasing anything new.

So if it is, you better get saving up for multiple external memory cards in order to have games installed.

Its highly likely that its cart base will support switch games, I really cannot see Nintendo being that stupid to ever think its cost effective to have cart based media for games.

But hey, thanks to this ignorance, we wouldn't have had the PlayStation.

OLED part was funny.... "to keep costs down", yup this is why nintendo are always prehistoric, truth behind it will be so they can crap out more bs models of the same hardware.

All nintendo care about is as it states and we all know, release a console as cheap as possible, bs the customers with the usual better third party bs and mask its inferiority with boring bs gimmicks.

Sit back and watch our fanboys cannon fodder to hype and defend the console while we continue to cheaply recycle the same shit that costs us next to nothing as it'll easily fit on cartridge media format.

If anyone else requires more then its upto the dev to foot the bill or they force the game to be digital download and the customer foots the bill.

Whats the point in nintendo anymore, inferior nasty, over priced bs consoles just to play the same shit over and over with the hope of getting the titles they lacked that past gen consoles had over the last 20odd years or so.

We dont need Sega consoles for Sonic fans to enjoy Sonic Games..... I guess its because nintendo fans are so brainwashed that nintendo still exists, but we all know they're the worse fanboy folk to ever cross on the Internet lol.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't think they have a choice this time around. They can't not make a hybrid console after selling upward of 130 million Switches, and if they're making another hybrid on a very similar chipset, there's no excuse for lack of backward compatibility. Unless they just don't give a damn about adoption rate of the new console, it will be backward compatible.

ertaboy356b

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think they have a choice this time around. They can't not make a hybrid console after selling upward of 130 million Switches, and if they're making another hybrid on a very similar chipset, there's no excuse for lack of backward compatibility. Unless they just don't give a damn about adoption rate of the new console, it will be backward compatible.
No BC will make their porting efforts futile. So yeah, switch will have BC one way or another.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe