Nintendo gives more details about its online service, cloud saves get deleted if you cancel your sub

wGRlqwr.png

We got a glimpse of some new information about Nintendo's Switch Online Service yesterday during the Direct, but most of what was shown there was already known. To help shed a little more light on just what a subscription entails, Nintendo put a FAQ up on their site. The details are as follows:

• As already stated before the Direct, all Switch users (used to be only launch users) can get a 7 day free trial. This gives you access to online, voice chat, cloud saves, and the NES games.
  • Those two wireless NES controllers are only purchasable if you have a current paid Nintendo Switch Online sub.
  • The full list of 20 playable NES games for subscribers was revealed: Soccer, Tennis, Donkey Kong, Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3, Balloon Fight, Ice Climber, Dr. Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Double Dragon, River City Ransom, Ghost's N Goblins, Tecmo Bowl, Gradius, Pro Wrestling, Excitebike, Yoshi, Ice Hockey, and Baseball.
  • Each month, a new set of games will be added to the group.
  • October will add NES Open Golf, Solomon's Key, and Super Dodge Ball
  • November additions are Mighty Bomb Jack, Twinbee, and Metroid.
  • December brings Wario's Woods, Adventures of Lolo, and Ninja Gaiden.
  • Additionally, if you ever lapse in your subscription, you will lose all cloud data. "Save data stored with Save Data Cloud cannot be kept outside of the duration of your Nintendo Switch Online membership." If you cancel or let it expire, you'll lose all data saved on the cloud.
  • If you play the NES games, you need to check in every 7 days by going online to verify your account.

:arrow: Source: Nintendo UK
:arrow: Source: Nintendo of America

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
It’s just mind-blowing that some actual people thought this through. Are they actually aware of how bad it is ? How hard is it to make people happy ?

I wish we could see a meeting at Nintendo Japan.
its actually not that hard, its its pretty simple...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Lots of fire!
they dont need to close it, you just need to forget to pay for a year and its all gone

Reactions: Kafkaus00 and Jonna

Kafkaus00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
its actually not that hard, its its pretty simple...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

they dont need to close it, you just need to forget to pay for a year and its all gone

Then why don’t they do it ? Their way of thinking is so damn weird, almost everything they do is anti-consumers, do you want our money or not ?

ZachariasBarnham

Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad that I didn't buy a Switch back then, I'm even more so now.

The way I'm seeing it is: what benefits come with paid online? I'm a PS+ subscriber for the big discounts whenever there's a good sale going on, and there are a lot of those.

Nintendo, on the other hand, is content to keep their games at full price for years at a time. Example: Pokemon X/Y. Is there a reason for it to still be $39.99 after 5 years? Or Hyrule Warriors to still be $59.99 for the original Wii U version? Also, why are Wii Us still $299.99 anyway?

Will the new income coming in from Nintendo's paid online service motivate them to have sales and lower those prices?

A clue?
NO.

Rabbid4240

i dont know
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chat with your friends! (or just skype them)
Play classic NES games! (or just hack your switch) and get a classic wireless NES controller that you can only use to play NES games!
Backup your save data in the cloud! (or just hack your switch and put it on your SD card)
Check in with your account every. fucking. week so you can play nes games on h̶o̶m̶e̶b̶r̶e̶w̶ nintendork switch online.
More games
More useless features
Less money

S p L a T n E t 2

Last edited by Rabbid4240,

Kafkaus00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Even though i love my switch, a part of me regret buying it. It’s an awesome piece of hardware but Nintendo doesn’t deserve the praise honestly. It’s like one step forward two steps backward...

Reactions: DeslotlCL

BiggieCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paid online in general is BS. Assuming people have an equal amount of bark and bite and don’t buy into this come tomorrow, I hope this will lead to some sort of consumer revolt to get the big three (Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft) to either reduce their prices (or improve their services in Nintendo’s case) or, preferably but as unlikely as it is; drop paid online entirely.
All this talk isn’t going to stop little Jimmy and Susan from using mommy’s/daddy’s credit card, though.

Reactions: sleepymanakete

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Halo uses dedicated servers on xbox I am pretty sure about that, on playstation there's GT sport using dedicated servers, both sony and Microsoft have modernised their online infrastructure, and pretty much all major triple AAA shooters and sports games are using dedicated servers on both consoles.
Halo 5 started on dedicated servers. MCC just officially switched to it.. And it's not exactly working well.

JanoriaCorven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i just had a idiot over on the facebook group try and tell me that "Save data stored via the Save Data Cloud backup is available for as long as you have an active Nintendo Switch Online membership." is vague.

like... Mother fucker, no its not.... it clearly states that it is only available FOR AS LONG AS YOU HAVE AN ACTIVE MEMBERSHIP.

he then tried to go ahead and discredit the rest of Nintendo's websites, including the UK and Australia's, stating that "because of the way the United States Nintendo has worded their FAQ, that the rest of the FAQ's from Nintendo's around the world are now completely vague, and are not at all stating the same thing, ergo, it is all vague, and should not be listened to".

like.... what? This literally made me ask a separate group of people what he meant.... and it made me dumber for having to ask it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i just had a idiot over on the facebook group try and tell me that "Save data stored via the Save Data Cloud backup is available for as long as you have an active Nintendo Switch Online membership." is vague.

like... Mother fucker, no its not.... it clearly states that it is only available FOR AS LONG AS YOU HAVE AN ACTIVE MEMBERSHIP.

he then tried to go ahead and discredit the rest of Nintendo's websites, including the UK and Australia's, stating that "because of the way the United States Nintendo has worded their FAQ, that the rest of the FAQ's from Nintendo's around the world are now completely vague, and are not at all stating the same thing, ergo, it is all vague, and should not be listened to".

like.... what? This literally made me ask a separate group of people what he meant.... and it made me dumber for having to ask it.

Sounds like you encountered a delusional fanboy member of the Nintendo defence squad. They are commonly seen blowing smoke up Nintendo's arse and treating criticism of Nintendo as a personal attack on them and their way of life.

Don't know about facebook but around here bonus points if you can send one into a fit of rage and have them start twitching on the floor.

If you wanted to read things and do some serious mental gymnastics it could read as not a "we will delete your account 1 minute after expiry" as much as "we make absolutely no effort or commitment to storing your data, if you happen to expire one minute before the automated sweep then sucks to be you". Either way far short of the competition on an already incredibly dubious prospect.

JanoriaCorven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sounds like you encountered a delusional fanboy member of the Nintendo defence squad. They are commonly seen blowing smoke up Nintendo's arse and treating criticism of Nintendo as a personal attack on them and their way of life.

Don't know about facebook but around here bonus points if you can send one into a fit of rage and have them start twitching on the floor.

If you wanted to read things and do some serious mental gymnastics it could read as not a "we will delete your account 1 minute after expiry" as much as "we make absolutely no effort or commitment to storing your data, if you happen to expire one minute before the automated sweep then sucks to be you". Either way far short of the competition on an already incredibly dubious prospect.

oh yes, he was a stupid fanboy. he went from calling it vague, to improper, to outright unsubstantiated, all the way down to calling me crazy, trying to correct my grammar, and trying to tell me to relax... lawl.

oh and he then lost it when i was telling him that he was playing devils advocate.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You shouldnt be arguing in the first place with people that defends this shit of a service.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly