Nintendo says it currently has no plans to release any other Switch revisions beyond the OLED model

oled_model_photo_01.0.jpg

With Bloomberg having spent years reporting on the existence of an upgraded Nintendo Switch unit, and for all those rumors to culminate in the Nintendo Switch OLED model, some fans have been disappointed with all Nintendo has to offer. Beyond that, others believe that the fabled "Switch Pro" still exists, but has been delayed due to a shortage of materials, with some outlets still speculating that the information leak of "4K output" for a new Switch variant means there will be an inevitable Switch Pro somewhere down the line. Nintendo themselves have stepped in to right the rumors and say, definitively, that they have "no plans for launching any other model [of the Nintendo Switch] at this time".

1B51004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bloomberg rolling in their bed rn

cant say grave since they're not dead, but they're prolly shaking and crying unironically lol

Last edited by 1B51004,

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I'm happy about is finally put the so called pro rumors to fkin rest. Was really about to quit the internet for good, and no, I'm not joking. How would I know if new games will be out then? Via the news on the Nintendo Switch itself.

Reactions: Skelletonike

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I'm happy about is finally put the so called pro rumors to fkin rest. Was really about to quit the internet for good, and no, I'm not joking. How would I know if new games will be out then? Via the news on the Nintendo Switch itself.
Nintendo saying they have no plans for a switch pro doesn't rule it out. The same thing happened with DSi and n3DS. Though I doubt we will get one (and thanks to steam deck we DON'T need one)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If there was a Switch Pro coming, I wouldn't see the point releasing a OLED version of the Switch. That in itself would be a waste of materials if a Switch Pro was just around the corner.
Would you call the 3DS XL a waste of materials?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo usually aims for 6 year cycles when it has a very successful console. it's only been 4. Whatever they come out with next will be backward compatible, but it's a bit early for a sequel console. But they'll need to have a refresh before they release a sequel console. I will be very surprised if they don't release a hardware update for the switch before Nintendo's next console in 2-3 years.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you quit the internet for good, how would you be getting the news on your Switch? Pretty certain it requires an internet connection.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
"At this time"
Nintendo fans be like:

View attachment 270441

I think a big reason why it can't is because they're only selling it through Steam and to a few regions, or at least for now. The Switch can be found in many tech stores around the world.
Not to mention that Japan is a huge market for mobile gaming. AFAIK, the steam deck isn't for sale there.

Reactions: Jiehfeng

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, there is going to be a Switch Pro, it's going to be their next console, lol. As for the Steam Deck, it sold in the thousands, while the Switch is about to cross 100mil.
I'm still going to buy a Steam Deck though, because I like handhelds.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
they also had no new model to announce at the time of e3 and they announced one like 1 month later so yeah classic pr move, doesnt mean that in a year they will release or not an upgraded model, i think this year for sure they wont release any other switch model imo.

Last edited by pedro702,
Reactions: Rahkeesh

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The Steam Deck isn't even out yet dude
people are taking the 5$ pre order deal as a sale which isnt true, who knows how many orders will get cancelled or people who made a pre order and then have no money at the time of release to follow through and so on.

but yeah i dont see this even selling 1/4 of the switch numbers tbh.

Reactions: Skelletonike

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can believe it, NVIDIA is already stopping the production of the X1 chips by the end of the year, but they've allowed Nintendo to order more to take care of the foreseeable future. This means that Nintendo can still purchase millions of X1 chips to manufacture the Switch well through the rest of its life cycle until 2023-24.

Personally I also just don't think the Switch Pro will ever be a thing seeing that creating a handheld with an entirely new chipset will be a ton of work just to sell the 4th SKU of the Switch, when the switch will just be superseded by the next generation in 3 years anyway.

Reactions: TheGodMauro and Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ken that one I linked is like 170 bucks or something that's pretty cheap for the speeds and what...