Nintendo Switch Becomes the Fastest-Selling Home Video Game System of All Time

^5AA601C487ABCD9694BB7779AA1274446C8D141B7EE3D0C1A4^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

in the U.S.

Nintendo Switch has become the fastest-selling home video game system in U.S. history. The home console that players can take wherever they go launched March 3, 2017, and in 10 months has sold more than 4.8 million units in the United States, according to Nintendo’s internal sales figures. That’s the highest total for the first 10 months of any home video game system in U.S. history, surpassing Nintendo’s own Wii system, which was the previous record holder with more than 4 million units sold during the same timeframe.

Here's Nintendo:

A strong library of games continues to fuel momentum for Nintendo Switch. In the U.S., more than 60 percent of Nintendo Switch owners have Super Mario Odyssey, and over 55 percent own The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Not only are these games system-sellers, but they’re also two of the highest-rated games in history.

“Fans across the country have experienced the joy of playing their favorite games at home or on the go,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America’s President and COO. “Now that many more people have received Nintendo Switch systems for the holidays, we look forward to bringing them fun new surprises in 2018 and beyond.”

A strong library of games continues to fuel momentum for Nintendo Switch. In the U.S., more than 60 percent of Nintendo Switch owners have Super Mario Odyssey, and over 55 percent own The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Not only are these games system-sellers, but they’re also two of the highest-rated games in history. Nintendo Switch owners also possess the fun, competitive games Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 at rates of more than 50 percent and 20 percent, respectively.

More than 300 games created by third-party developers have already launched for Nintendo Switch. These include big-name brands like FIFA 18 from Electronic Arts, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and Just Dance 2018 from Ubisoft, Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition from Mojang, L.A. Noire from Rockstar Games, NBA 2K18 from 2K Games, Sonic Mania from SEGA, Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers from Capcom, Rocket League from Psyonix and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and DOOM from Bethesda. Nintendo Switch has also received strong support from indie developers, with a steady stream of favorites like SteamWorld Dig 2 from Image & Form, Golf Story from Sidebar Games, Overcooked Special Edition from Team17 Digital Ltd and Stardew Valley from Chucklefish LTD.

This year, Nintendo Switch owners can look forward to Nintendo-published games like Kirby Star Allies, Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2 and a new game starring Yoshi. Fans can also expect continued support from major publishers such as EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Capcom, SEGA, Take 2 and Bethesda, plus a growing catalog of quality content from indie developers.

:arrow:Source: GBAtemp Inbox

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm glad Nintendo is being successful since they focus on gameplay first and graphics later.
I don't know if I can second that. So many oversights in their games -- compare say the tournament setup and general customisation in Smash Brothers (any really but start at the gamecube) and then ask why you can't do such a thing in Mario Kart. There are things we can debate but the oversight in not providing similar scope for fiddling is hard to justify and makes me wonder if some of what successes they have are more iteration and idiot savant style rather than out and out mastery.

Yet EA has no interest to support it.
Burn in hell, EA.
EA don't have the most love from me but I am not seeing the issue here. Nintendo has to be the one to go out and make it worth their while. That they are not doing what they can to do it makes me wonder if we are not going to see a retread of basically all their post N64 efforts and and post DS efforts.

Reactions: invaderyoyo

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
yea no wii u was bought. quick maths skills you got there buddy.
I know right? Bad marketing + bad gimmick + bad name = nobody buys.

EA don't have the most love from me but I am not seeing the issue here. Nintendo has to be the one to go out and make it worth their while.
The audience is worthwhile. The only portable console on the market is worthwhile. It's really the opposite: EA haven't done anything worthwhile recently, so it's hard to care if their stuff never comes to Switch.

Last edited by Xzi,

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if I can second that. So many oversights in their games -- compare say the tournament setup and general customisation in Smash Brothers (any really but start at the gamecube) and then ask why you can't do such a thing in Mario Kart. There are things we can debate but the oversight in not providing similar scope for fiddling is hard to justify and makes me wonder if some of what successes they have are more iteration and idiot savant style rather than out and out mastery.

EA don't have the most love from me but I am not seeing the issue here. Nintendo has to be the one to go out and make it worth their while. That they are not doing what they can to do it makes me wonder if we are not going to see a retread of basically all their post N64 efforts and and post DS efforts.
Thanks for your *wrong* opinion without factually backing it up. Your bias is showing.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your *wrong* opinion without factually backing it up. Your bias is showing.
What? I assume it is the latter part of the quoted section that is causing issues as the former is something else.

Nintendo in the 8 and 16 bit eras were market leaders in most places, certainly almost all that mattered and even where they might not have been (the megadrive/genesis might have been more popular in parts of Europe). Similar story for handhelds until IOS rose up during the latter part of the DS.
Today... not so much. There are dozens of other platforms with massive install bases and it is not an honour, nor a prize to be on a Nintendo system and very little else to straight up recommend it. Might not be all that much to discount me as a big pub/dev from going on Nintendo but not playing is a valid strategy.
If not playing is a valid strategy they often do and thus we see no games but the odd first party effort on the Nintendo system and it is like the N64, sort of gamecube (it was not the worst but compared to the PS2....), 3ds, wii and wii u. If my position is I want to buy a console and be in with a chance of playing all the sorts of games available in a given era, like I could on my NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA and DS, which is to say all their unarguably great devices from the past, then Nintendo hardware loses lots of appeal.
To take it back to the thing I originally quoted it is not EA's responsibility to ensure the Switch's success and thus I wondered how the quoted poster could justify disliking EA for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: you are a product of my imagination