Nintendo Switch Becomes the Fastest-Selling Home Video Game System of All Time

^5AA601C487ABCD9694BB7779AA1274446C8D141B7EE3D0C1A4^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

in the U.S.

Nintendo Switch has become the fastest-selling home video game system in U.S. history. The home console that players can take wherever they go launched March 3, 2017, and in 10 months has sold more than 4.8 million units in the United States, according to Nintendo’s internal sales figures. That’s the highest total for the first 10 months of any home video game system in U.S. history, surpassing Nintendo’s own Wii system, which was the previous record holder with more than 4 million units sold during the same timeframe.

Here's Nintendo:

A strong library of games continues to fuel momentum for Nintendo Switch. In the U.S., more than 60 percent of Nintendo Switch owners have Super Mario Odyssey, and over 55 percent own The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Not only are these games system-sellers, but they’re also two of the highest-rated games in history.

“Fans across the country have experienced the joy of playing their favorite games at home or on the go,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America’s President and COO. “Now that many more people have received Nintendo Switch systems for the holidays, we look forward to bringing them fun new surprises in 2018 and beyond.”

A strong library of games continues to fuel momentum for Nintendo Switch. In the U.S., more than 60 percent of Nintendo Switch owners have Super Mario Odyssey, and over 55 percent own The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Not only are these games system-sellers, but they’re also two of the highest-rated games in history. Nintendo Switch owners also possess the fun, competitive games Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 at rates of more than 50 percent and 20 percent, respectively.

More than 300 games created by third-party developers have already launched for Nintendo Switch. These include big-name brands like FIFA 18 from Electronic Arts, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and Just Dance 2018 from Ubisoft, Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition from Mojang, L.A. Noire from Rockstar Games, NBA 2K18 from 2K Games, Sonic Mania from SEGA, Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers from Capcom, Rocket League from Psyonix and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and DOOM from Bethesda. Nintendo Switch has also received strong support from indie developers, with a steady stream of favorites like SteamWorld Dig 2 from Image & Form, Golf Story from Sidebar Games, Overcooked Special Edition from Team17 Digital Ltd and Stardew Valley from Chucklefish LTD.

This year, Nintendo Switch owners can look forward to Nintendo-published games like Kirby Star Allies, Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2 and a new game starring Yoshi. Fans can also expect continued support from major publishers such as EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Capcom, SEGA, Take 2 and Bethesda, plus a growing catalog of quality content from indie developers.

:arrow:Source: GBAtemp Inbox

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It's a matter of perspective. That "rut" gave them the Wii and the Switch. A console doesn't need raw power to be successful. To them, it's their Business plan, and it's given them successes and failures. Let's put things into perspective. The GameCube was the last time Nintendo's console outmatched competitors in terms of power, which then gives us the next three consoles: the Wii, the Wii U, and the Switch. The Wii is one of the most successful consoles of all time, the Switch is now the fastest selling console of all time. That makes two for three on Nintendo's successes with this business plan. Hardly a rut.
A rut is still a rut. They're risk takers, but AGAIN how long will it last. They're relying on their risks now. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but there's only so far you can go.

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I thought the wii u was bad the day it first got revealed because of the expensive tablet controller if you bust it you'd have to pay like half the consoles price to get a new one

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
A rut is still a rut. They're risk takers, but AGAIN how long will it last. They're relying on their risks now. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but there's only so far you can go.
A rut would mean that the repeated behavior (in this case, low-powered consoles that make up for their lack of power in other ways) was in some way unproductive. Would you really call the Wii and the Switch unproductive ventures? Therefore, they're not in a rut. That's what I'm trying to say. Your other sentiment makes sense, though. That's the risk in taking risks, after all.

Last edited by HaloEliteLegend,

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I thought the wii u was bad the day it first got revealed because of the expensive tablet controller if you bust it you'd have to pay like half the consoles price to get a new one
Yet, it was the cheapest console at the time. USD$350.

PS4 launched at USD$399 and Xbox One at USD$499.

How did people still say it was expensive? I simply don't get it.

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yet, it was the cheapest console at the time. USD$350.

PS4 launched at USD$399 and Xbox One at USD$499.

How did people still say it was expensive? I simply don't get it.
the tablet controller is why it failed they could of put more powerful specs in it if they just made a more powerful wii.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
A rut would mean that the repeated behavior (in this case, low-powered consoles that make up for its lack of power in other ways) was in some way unproductive. Would you really call the Wii and the Switch unproductive ventures? Therefore, they're not in a rut. That's what I'm trying to say. Your other sentiment makes sense, though. That's the risk in taking risks, after all.
It's a massive circle for them. We'll start with the Wii. What was it? An underpowered gimmick, but it still succeeded. Okay, cool. Fast forward 6-7 years. What was the Wii U? Another risk, that failed. So instead of playing it safe, they took another risk with the Switch. Is it working for them? Yeah. What's going to happen if it all falls down on them? They're stuck in a RUT with these risks. It doesn't mean they're in some way being unproductive. It means they're on repeat. I guess a better word would be complacent?

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My question is... How is Nintendo stuck in a rut when Sony and Microsoft are -literally- doing the same thing every time?

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
the tablet controller is why it failed they could of put more powerful specs in it if they just made a more powerful wii.
I repeat.

Yet, it was the cheapest console at launch, comparing it to PS4 and to XBox One. And even like that, many people, including you talk about it being "expensive".

It failed because of a nearly non-existant marketing for it. We could be talking a completely different situation, had they marketed it as well as they're marketing the Switch.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

My question is... How is Nintendo stuck in a rut when Sony and Microsoft are -literally- doing the same thing every time?
Because Sony and Microsoft make Mature games, made for Mature adults. Like chess games, and games where you must pay the bills in time, or you get homeless. Nintendo is for kids only.

/s

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Businesses require risk. Thats how they run.

In economics people that take more risks with their money may have days they hardly get money.
But in days they do, they usually get higher pay off then non risk takers. Just look at the earnings gap between men and women.
Men usually take more risks career wise and with money, which earns them more money.
The same logic applies to how some game companies handle their business practices.

Risk taking may put you at higher risk of loosing buisness. But if you want higher pay off, to survive in business, and to stay competitive,
then you'll have to take smart risks. And choose your risks carefully.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
It's a massive circle for them. We'll start with the Wii. What was it? An underpowered gimmick, but it still succeeded. Okay, cool. Fast forward 6-7 years. What was the Wii U? Another risk, that failed. So instead of playing it safe, they took another risk with the Switch. Is it working for them? Yeah. What's going to happen if it all falls down on them? They're stuck in a RUT with these risks. It doesn't mean they're in some way being unproductive. It means they're on repeat. I guess a better word would be complacent?
In that case, rut is the wrong word to use. But let's talk about that circle. What is the Switch but a more refined version of the ideas they had with the Wii U? They doubled down, and out came the Switch. You seem to imply that they're releasing these systems at almost random when there's far more deliberation that goes into them. The Switch was developed to solve a key problem: gamers want to play console games, but don't have the time. The solution? Allow them to take the system with them wherever they go. The Wii U's approach was to take the game off the TV, assuming that game time was being hogged by others. The Switch takes the more reasoned approach that game time is being hogged by daily life, and so the system should cater to people's lives. And it succeeded. That's exactly what people are embracing the system as. Remember Nintendo's survey asking people in what way they played their Switch? The vast majority used it as it was meant to be used -- equally in portable and docked mode. In other words, Nintendo created a product that solved a very real problem, and the market responded positively. They're not taking risks at random, they're designing products with a very different market in mind than their competitors. They can continue taking these "risks" as long as they like, so long as they're able to successfully read the market. With the Switch, it wasn't pure luck that their risk paid off, it was that they read the market right and capitalized on it. That's the exact opposite of complacency.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
but really theres no reason for you to get an xbox one or ps4 pc and switch is all you need. I don't like any of ps4 or xboxones exclusives anymore.

This is why I sold my PS4 and Xbox One. Plus new first party Xbox titles are part of the play anywhere shtick. So I can play it on PC if I really want to try it.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad Nintendo is being successful since they focus on gameplay first and graphics later.
They focus on both, really. They just make sure they complement each other rather than making a game just to show off that you can see individuql blackheads on the protagonist's nose

Reactions: Jonna and DarthDub

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where Herbert comes from