Hacking Nintendo Switch Compromised: Nintendo's View?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nvidia kinda owes them one after this. Discounted TX2 boards for Switch 2?

I highly doubt AMD would have been any more infallible towards an exploit in their hardware than any other company. Spectre, Meltdown, yeah, those would have affected AMD too, so....

nVidia owes them nothing.

Hi-Dro

Trophies
XP
Country
Umm, sorry to burst your bubble but Nintendo has every right to do that. Nintendo grants you a license to use Switch OS, games and other software and they have every right to revoke it due to a violation of their EULA, which very literally means End User License Agreement :rofl2:. All jokes aside, Nintendo has absolutely every right to revoke your access to their software, which includes any updates to that software. The only thing you actually own is the Nintendo Switch console, everything else is only licensed to you.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Please do your research before making such huge claims.

Yes that's absolutely very true, you can even read about that on the console itself. It lists all the different software used in the switch and explains their right to revoke use of said software at any given time. Which is the EULA.
It's just like any other Licence, like a drivers license for example, If you break the conditions of your Drivers license eg. no insurance or DUI then you are fined or have your license revoked.
Or medical Licence or in-fact any license for that matter.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realize the tegra is only used for the entertainment system right? The only thing you could hijack is their radio channels.
you do realize that these entertainment systems have direct access to the cars can bus right?

at least on my older BMW the radio has an ibus wire on its harness
you know to get data from the cars ibus like input from the steering wheel buttons
i just installed a bluetooth module in my car, and the only wires it needs access to are 12v+ gnd and ibus
the 1st one was defective and didn't work at all , the RMA one they sent works but still had bugs
and i swear the climate control turned itself on the other day
if a device has access to a card ibus or can bus wire it can send and receive data to the ECU and other modules
if someone were very adept at bluetooth hacking they could pair with my bluetooth adapter and send code to any of my cars ECU modules through the ibus , the same way that the bluetooth module receives ID3 tag information from my phone via bluetooth to display on the cars radio display
through the ibus
not really a concern of mine but i am sure it could be done,just like it is far fetched anyone would use the tegra bug to gain access to a vehicle
but it could be done , but then again anyone who is smart enough to figure it out could just as easily find another way
like through bluetooth ,if you can get a device to trick the cars radio to the pair with it they you have access to the entertainment system, then it is just one more step away to getting code to the cars modules since your device would be connected to the entertainment system and the entertainment system has access to the can bus and the can bus has access to just about everything

Andalitez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actully Nintendo japan (and eventually the US too?) had a page about the R4.
To be honest, didn't really follow any of the news.
My post wasnt based on fact but more feeling if I can call it that. I could be 100% wrong on what I said lol

I actually bought a switch when I did for two reasons. I was unable to walk for a few weeks so it made sense for portability. But also because I was following the hacking scene and it was just about to take off with piracy.

Ironically I bought another switch(second hand) that I plan to use legitimately mostly.

I did the same when the ps4 4.05 news broke.
Bought a ps4 because it could be hacked.
I'm considering selling it though,as its just collecting dust

Priyam

Trophies
XP
Country
India
It's not wrong though, lol. Nintendo doesn't give a crap about us just as any other company wouldn't. Why should I care if I'm stealing their software if it benefits me?
That's not a good way to talk or think. You should be ashamed of. Suppose, if every people starts to think like this, you won't have any games to pirate. No one is going to judge anybody here, do whatever you feel like, but justifying with shits like this is just plain stupid.

Last edited by Priyam,

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's not a good way to talk or think. You should be ashamed of. Suppose, if every people starts to think like this, you won't have any games to pirate. No one is going to judge anybody here, do whatever you feel like, but justifying with shits like this is just plain stupid.

Each to their own I guess. It's just selfishness at the end of the day that drives what I'm doing. I'm not exactly saying I'm entitled because they don't care but I mean the feeling is mutual.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you do realize that these entertainment systems have direct access to the cars can bus right?

at least on my older BMW the radio has an ibus wire on its harness
you know to get data from the cars ibus like input from the steering wheel buttons
i just installed a bluetooth module in my car, and the only wires it needs access to are 12v+ gnd and ibus
the 1st one was defective and didn't work at all , the RMA one they sent works but still had bugs
and i swear the climate control turned itself on the other day
if a device has access to a card ibus or can bus wire it can send and receive data to the ECU and other modules
if someone were very adept at bluetooth hacking they could pair with my bluetooth adapter and send code to any of my cars ECU modules through the ibus , the same way that the bluetooth module receives ID3 tag information from my phone via bluetooth to display on the cars radio display
through the ibus
not really a concern of mine but i am sure it could be done,just like it is far fetched anyone would use the tegra bug to gain access to a vehicle
but it could be done , but then again anyone who is smart enough to figure it out could just as easily find another way
like through bluetooth ,if you can get a device to trick the cars radio to the pair with it they you have access to the entertainment system, then it is just one more step away to getting code to the cars modules since your device would be connected to the entertainment system and the entertainment system has access to the can bus and the can bus has access to just about everything
so long story short we can run emulators on the gps screen...

Reactions: weatMod

ichibaka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They maybe dont give a crap about you, but they dont harm you. You in contrast steal from them. They make less profit so they have to save in other place. Like normal employeers. So u dont harm nintendo or the CEO or the „Bosses“. U are one of the reason why thousans of people lose their jobs. How will u justify that? Would u like it if i came to your place and steal from u to make profit? I mean hey u dont care about me so why should i about u?

Dont misunderstand me, im not a moral apostle, but dont act like robin hood, u r stealing and stealing is wrong!
I disagree with your statement of stealing. If it was a physical game cartridge then it would be stealing, but making profit is still a no since the stealer, in this case a gamer is using said game but not selling for personal pocket money.

Also digital copy is like the company printing fake money out of nothing, discounting cost of electricity for maintenance and bandwidth. It is a licence they throw at you, not real physical object. They lose nothing much by you using their non-physical license that you and million of other cheapskates very likely will never open your wallet for anyway. You would never have become a payer literally. In a sense they lose nothing from a non-customer. They much their money from the pool of fools who throw money at their license generator in order to have access to a common cup of ramen that auto refill.

hhamlet90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I disagree with your statement of stealing. If it was a physical game cartridge then it would be stealing, but making profit is still a no since the stealer, in this case a gamer is using said game but not selling for personal pocket money.

Also digital copy is like the company printing fake money out of nothing, discounting cost of electricity for maintenance and bandwidth. It is a licence they throw at you, not real physical object. They lose nothing much by you using their non-physical license that you and million of other cheapskates very likely will never open your wallet for anyway. You would never have become a payer literally. In a sense they lose nothing from a non-customer. They much their money from the pool of fools who throw money at their license generator in order to have access to a common cup of ramen that auto refill.

U fu**ing kidding me right? U think developing a game costs nothing? You don't seem to understand how economics works, so lets not even discuss.

I don't have the words to describe how stupid this theory is.

Last edited by hhamlet90,

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

U fu**ing kidding me right? U think developing a game costs nothing? You don't seem to understand how economics works, so lets not even discuss.

I don't have the words to describe how stupid this theory is.
Let’s calm down here. Digital piracy has proven to have very little to no effect on the profits of the developers. Everyone who wants the game will buy it. Everyone who pirates the game would not buy it otherwise, which means they were never consumers to begin with.

Reactions: CrAzYLiFe

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Let’s calm down here. Digital piracy has proven to have very little to no effect on the profits of the developers. Everyone who wants the game will buy it. Everyone who pirates the game would not buy it otherwise, which means they were never consumers to begin with.

In most cases true but I would've totally bought Pokemon & Smash Bros otherwise, lol. Doesn't have that big an effect on Nintendo though in the bigger picture.

ichibaka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly if I never intended to buy a game in the first place, even if it cost a million people's worth of livers and kidneys on the black market to develop, you'll never see a cent from me.

Yami Anubis ZX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm, sorry to burst your bubble but Nintendo has every right to do that. Nintendo grants you a license to use Switch OS, games and other software and they have every right to revoke it due to a violation of their EULA, which very literally means End User License Agreement :rofl2:. All jokes aside, Nintendo has absolutely every right to revoke your access to their software, which includes any updates to that software. The only thing you actually own is the Nintendo Switch console, everything else is only licensed to you.

Please do your research before making such huge claims.

Very funny but you know that eventually people will rise up against corporations and Nintendo will be included, don't give me that bs, your nothing but a corporate stooge, soon you will see that all corporations will bow down to people. It is already happening and whether you like it or not, Nintendo will pay, corporations don't have all the control, people do.

Last edited by Yami Anubis ZX,

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Very funny but you know that eventually people will rise up against corporations and Nintendo will be included, don't give me that bs, your nothing but a corporate stooge, soon you will see that all corporations will bow down to people. It is already happening and whether you like it or not, Nintendo will pay, corporations don't have all the control, people do.

They have control over their products...sorry but what you're saying sounds like complete anarchy and honestly, complete bullshit. Nintendo has the right to protect their intellectual property, be it their software or their hardware. So if they detect that you illegally modified either, they have every right to discontinue your access to their services and even sue you if they want to

Reactions: Deleted User

Yami Anubis ZX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They have control over their products...sorry but what you're saying sounds like complete anarchy and honestly, complete bullshit. Nintendo has the right to protect their intellectual property, be it their software or their hardware. So if they detect that you illegally modified either, they have every right to discontinue your access to their services and even sue you if they want to

No, it's not anarchy, all companies need to be controlled and regulated and it's already happening.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No, it's not anarchy, all companies need to be controlled and regulated and it's already happening.

Companies being regulated is one thing. What you were "proposing" was them bowing down to the people and that's not what is happening. If anyone is going to regulate them to prevent abuse, it's the government, not the people. And even still, that's not going to change the established copyright laws

Yami Anubis ZX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Companies being regulated is one thing. What you were "proposing" was them bowing down to the people and that's not what is happening. If anyone is going to regulate them to prevent abuse, it's the government, not the people. And even still, that's not going to change the established copyright laws

They will bow down to the people, America is changing and so is the rest of the world.

Plus I could care less about the EULA as there will be ways to bypass crap like that. Oh and the lot of you who don't believe me, well then, we will play the waiting game, patients is a virtue after all. Cya later.

Last edited by Yami Anubis ZX,

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo should have not allowed code to be sent to the tegra during the boot process through the usb port. Doesnt stop a chip soldered i guess but still.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Speaking of old stuff those green og Logitech Xbox controllers still being listed around $100
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    eyetoy was fun yeah
    super basic, but the minigames were well designed
    i'm sure there's at least 1 emulator out there that works with it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had the PS3 one too and The Eye of Judgement game lol was ass
    i had eye toy play on ps2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microsoft ruined it with kinect
    @The Real Jdbye, PCSX2 works with any web cam and emulates the EyeToy with it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember mic support for the n64 being janky
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Emulation wise
    I had a kinnect.... It blew rotting goat balls
    Ken amazingly DraStic microphone support works better than real hardware lol
    On a phone of course
    Also touch is better.... Well at least better than the launch DS, the lite one improved that a ton
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Touch
    +1
    I really need to dig out my USB Wii sensor bar and experiment with Wii emulation and synching Wii remotes with BT lol
    Sort of redundant since I have a Wii lol
    With HDMI lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I also have a Wii
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tomorrow be may 4th
    Getting Wiid from Street Pharmacist Mario?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    1tb SD card for whatever reason
    +1
    USB adapter and use as a Wii hard drive? Lol
    @K3Nv2 yeah they really did
    kinect was a good idea, they just didn't release any good games for it
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: kinect was a good idea, they just didn't release any good games for it