Nintendo Switch firmware 16.0.3 released

gkQj6UD.png

In the midst of the recent DMCA claims against Switch homebrew, Nintendo has also been busy working on a firmware update for the Nintendo Switch. System software version 16.0.3 is available to download, bringing only the expected stability. SwitchBrew has created an entry for this new update, while SciresM is yet to confirm if this impacts Atmosphere CFW in any way.

[UPDATE] Atmosphere is indeed impacted by this firmware, do not update until further notice.

:arrow: Source

Chaoticus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would have thought, with the recent write up about big N seeking different routes to combat piracy, they would have implemented the Denuvo tech in the new Zelda. I'm sure they are gonna be cracking down now and utilizing some extremes going forward. Thanks GUYS!!!!!! :P

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could of done without the discord screenshot. Only just updated the switch last night after months of no use. It would be nice if we could just press an "update cfw" button & it does everything required with 1 click & doesn't leave cfw breaking stuff behind

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean... even the 1.1.0 patch for TOTK was already working fine on the latest firmware prior to this one. How many people would have even been affected?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Nintendo spent half as much time fine tuning the Switch as they spent abusing the legal system, we might have even had functional (emulated) ray tracing in its games by now.
Nintendo has now fully embraced being a corporation while before they were a business company that honestly looked like they cared about their customers.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You assume emulator users don't have a Switch? You're wrong. Many emulator users dump their own games to run them on PC because Nintendo uses mediocre hardware that can barely maintain 30fps at 480p whereas a PC can run those same games at 4k 60fps.
Yes, I'm sure there are many emulator users who also own a Switch, and do as you describe. But realistically, what's the proportion? I would guess maybe 10% as the highest possibility. I was in the 90% range when I was playing GBA roms on my PC 20 years ago. Never bothered to buy a real GBA. I don't judge, it's just the way it is. As I was saying, Nintendo asked for it when they decided to use nearly obsolete hardware. I don't think there are emus yet to run PS5 games on the PC, right?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I'm sure there are many emulator users who also own a Switch, and do as you describe. But realistically, what's the proportion? I would guess maybe 10% as the highest possibility. I was in the 90% range when I was playing GBA roms on my PC 20 years ago. Never bothered to buy a real GBA. I don't judge, it's just the way it is. As I was saying, Nintendo asked for it when they decided to use nearly obsolete hardware. I don't think there are emus yet to run PS5 games on the PC, right?
When GBA was released I was a pre-teen and my parents didn't buy me one, so emulation was my only choice.

I wish I had been born in the 40's or 50's to enjoy more of the old times that I see on YouTube and buy games (not pirated cartridges).

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When GBA was released I was a pre-teen and my parents didn't buy me one, so emulation was my only choice.

I wish I had been born in the 40's or 50's to enjoy more of the old times that I see on YouTube and buy games (not pirated cartridges).
Oh, I certainly could have bought a GBA back when it was released, but considering it was well emulated on the PC, I didn't see why I should. I do remember emu users who didn't own the actual hardware were looked down on back then, and with good reasons, I agree now. I, myself, was born in the 60's. We could debate all day long which era was better to be born in, but really it's all pretty equivalent. I got to enjoy the birth of video games, which was great, whereas kids born not too long ago got to enjoy 4k gaming with near photo realistic graphics. As long as everyone's happy. ^_^

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I miss Streetpass. I never got to use it much (lived in a small town in northern Canada) but it was a cool little gimmick.
I would ride the train past apartment complexes, and get wave after wave of visitors. It seemed never ending.

Reactions: ViviVoid

djnate27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am really confused reading this thread, but isn't it true that in order to play the new zelda game you need to update the firmware?

I'm going to hold off for now though and wait... don't like breaking a working system
I'm told the game requires firmware 15.0.0 (I'm running it on 16.0.0.)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If Nintendo spent half as much time fine tuning the Switch as they spent abusing the legal system, we might have even had functional (emulated) ray tracing in its games by now.
We might even had fully functional games

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People already backed up Lockpick to oblivion, and the underground scene always finds a way to thrive.

The only thing they did was simply create a nuance, if at all.
Keep throwing your fucking tantrum, Nintendo, but this is far from making a dent.:tpi:
:rofl2:

Is lockpick firmware locked or once you dump your Keys it's one and done

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Such a shame about layeredfs memory issues. I was hoping in the future it could support more files like Baldur's Gate can be modded like crazy and big mods just crash on the switch

jakl_53

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am really confused reading this thread, but isn't it true that in order to play the new zelda game you need to update the firmware?

I'm going to hold off for now though and wait... don't like breaking a working system
Definitely hold off. If you get the game, then try to play it. By that point everything will be sorted out and you can update if you need to.

Thardus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely hold off. A couple of weeks ago I just finished converting mine from SXOS to ATMS 16.0.2 successfully. I thought I could update to 16.0.3 so I updated atmosphere, fusee.bin, hekate, sigpatches, then my games wouldn't load ("Unable to start software"). I tried downgrading atmosphere back to 1.5.2 but that didn't help. So I went back to latest atmosphere and I decided to update to 16.0.3 fw at this point thinking it might help, but no. Something is going on with sigpatches, or somehow they're not being loaded because I keep getting the "Unable to start software" error when loading games. So hold off... :(

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Is lockpick firmware locked or once you dump your Keys it's one and done
I'm pretty sure it's a "one and done" deal - like, I dumped my keys a long time ago, and have updated my firmware numerous times since, and NXDumpTool (and CFW and stuff) has worked perfectly fine throughout it all.

Though if you're using Ryujinx, I do believe you need new keys each time you upgrade.

Reactions: Goku1992A

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Odd I havent seen it except in Reswitched

You do it to, lol. It's the whole mods are gods thing.

Unless you in their inner circle you basically get talked down to, it's true for a lot of dev communities but reswitched especially, it's weird

So you think Arique didn't deserve such a response?

He pretty much said that SciresM was inconveniencing him by not working fast enough. It was conceited and a false assumption.

Last edited by tabzer,

Psd99

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Definitely hold off. If you get the game, then try to play it. By that point everything will be sorted out and you can update if you need to.

I dont quite understand what you mean? Do i need to be on a specific firmware version?

I got the game but when i try to install via dbi it says the files are corrupt

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol