Gaming NSMBU and Nintendo Land News

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's funny how some here blame Nintendo for reusing engines and assets in NSMB2, when we have game series like Uncharted, God Of War, Assassin's Creed, CoD and on and on doing exactly that. And I don't blame any company for doing that as long as the games are good. It's a tough business and companies have to reduce costs when they can.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It's funny how some here blame Nintendo for reusing engines and assets in NSMB2, when we have game series like Uncharted, God Of War, Assassin's Creed, CoD and on and on doing exactly that. And I don't blame any company for doing that as long as the games are good. It's a tough business and companies have to reduce costs when they can.
Unless I'm gravely mistaken, the God of War games on the PS3 look FAR better than the original PS2 games. the problem isn't reusing assets in themselves, it's reusing them with little visual improvement despite being on much more powerful hardware. heck, SMB3 looked much better than SMB1, even though both ran on the same hardware. so why is it that a 3DS game looks barely better than its last generation predecessor? especially when we got another game in the same franchise last year that looked MUCH better?

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Every time I get a "like" on this site it reminds me that everything on standard message boards is based on peer approval and reputation
God what a shitty system

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Unless I'm gravely mistaken, the God of War games on the PS3 look FAR better than the original PS2 games. the problem isn't reusing assets in themselves, it's reusing them with little visual improvement despite being on much more powerful hardware. heck, SMB3 looked much better than SMB1, even though both ran on the same hardware. so why is it that a 3DS game looks barely better than its last generation predecessor? especially when we got another game in the same franchise last year that looked MUCH better?
Do you think God Of War 3 and the upcoming Ascension will look much different?

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do you think God Of War 3 and the upcoming Ascension will look much different?
Sheesh, my point went right over your head, didn't it? :lol:
No, you didn't see my point. My argumentation works perfectly for all the games I mentioned, yet you pick that one game in my list where you can proove me wrong and ignore the rest. Nice one ;)

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
No, you didn't see my point. My argumentation works perfectly for all the games I mentioned, yet you pick that one game in my list where you can proove me wrong and ignore the rest. Nice one ;)
I'm afraid you're mistaken. Uncharted and Assassin's Creed both didn't exist until the current generation of consoles. Of course there weren't HUGE improvements in their graphics across their various sequels. Both CoD and God of War have been around at least since the last generation, and there were major graphical improvements in the current generation as a result of hardware power. So again I say, why is it that NSMB2 on current generation hardware doesn't look majorly better than NSMB1 on last generation hardware? I just chose God of War for my response because A) it's a Sony exclusive (so there's no getting messy comparing differences between xbox/pc/etc graphics) and B) I didn't see any need to respond to every single one of those individual franchises you mentioned.

Also, CoD is a yearly franchise, and there's STILL noticeable improvements in the graphics every few titles. Just compare screenshots of CoD4:MW to CoD:MW3. And they're running on the same hardware. So I ask AGAIN, why is it that NSMB2 doesn't look majorly better than NSMBDS when it's running on hardware that's one generation newer and much more powerful?

I stand uncorrected. Nice try, though. Or not.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I see what you mean now and you have a point there with the graphics. But both NSMB2 and U are being called rehashs. I mentioned those franchises as other examples of rehashs, which is ok as long as the games are good. Why was NSMB2 and now is NSMBU such a big deal? Rehashes happen all the time.

To answer your question about NSMB2: Because Nintendo's goal was to give the customer more of the same if he wants more with slight improvements in graphics and gameplay. Yes, it's a rehash. You get what you pay for. It was no secret. And I'm sure NSMB3 will look noticable better because CoD3 looks noticable better than CoD:MW...

One could also ask why do all 4 Uncharteds play the same? Where is the Innovation? It's basically 4 times the same game. So? Don't get me wrong, I played and loved all 4.

Wasn't this topic about NSMBU? It's just hilarious reading that people call it a rehash when looking at the screenshots.

Reactions: 1 person

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I see what you mean now and you have a point there with the graphics. But both NSMB2 and U are being called rehashs. I mentioned those franchises as other examples of rehashs, which is ok as long as the games are good. Why was NSMB2 and now is NSMBU such a big deal? Rehashes happen all the time.

To answer your question about NSMB2: Because their goal was to give the customer more of the same if he wants more with slight improvements in graphics and gameplay, although it's new hardware. You brought up the hardware change, not me. It was never a part of my argumentation and it doesn't matter when talking about rehashes.

One could also ask why do all 4 Uncharteds play the same? Where is the Innovation? Don't get me wrong, I played and loved all 4.
Ok I'll bite.
What kind of changes would you want to see in the NSMB series? Answer it carefully.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

To answer your question about NSMB2: Because their goal was to give the customer more of the same if he wants more with slight improvements in graphics and gameplay, although it's new hardware. You brought up the hardware change, not me. It was never a part of my argumentation and it doesn't matter when talking about rehashes.

One could also ask why do all 4 Uncharteds play the same? Where is the Innovation? Don't get me wrong, I played and loved all 4.
Ok I'll bite.
What kind of changes would you want to see in the NSMB series? Answer it carefully.
:blink:
Why do you ask me? I never said I want it to change or not.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Granted NSMB2 is rather stale, it's rather unfair to judge its quality based on SM3DL's quality, since they are different games using different engines, plus the two were developed by different teams. In fact, NSMB2 was made by a team who had no prior Mario-development experience (save for 2 members) who all attended what is known as a "Mario Cram School".

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

To answer your question about NSMB2: Because Nintendo's goal was to give the customer more of the same if he wants more with slight improvements in graphics and gameplay. Yes, it's a rehash. You get what you pay for. It was no secret. And I'm sure NSMB3 will look noticable better because CoD3 looks noticable better than CoD:MW...

One could also ask why do all 4 Uncharteds play the same? Where is the Innovation? It's basically 4 times the same game. So? Don't get me wrong, I played and loved all 4.

Wasn't this topic about NSMBU? It's just hilarious reading that people call it a rehash when looking at the screenshots.
For the record, I don't think NSMBU is much of a rehash. It looks like they put quite a bit of effort into it. But I definitely think NSMB2 is.

Ok I'll bite.
I know you weren't asking me, but I figured I'd answer anyway. :P Personally, my main problem with the NSMB series from what I've played (I've played all the way through NSMBDS, and am partway through NSMBWii right now) is that none of them feel as expansive as, say, Super Mario World or Super Mario Land 2. NSMBDS and NSMBWii have occasional "branching" paths but they're almost completely pointless, and rather than seeming like different paths leading to secrets and the like, it's just a one-level difference. Like "hey, you can choose one of these two levels, but both lead to the same level after that!" Also, the power ups feel really tame. Sure, the penguin suit and propeller suit are useful, but there's nothing like the cape that opens up basically a whole new pathway through levels with sky platforms and stuff.

That said, what I'm hearing is that NSMBU seems to add some of the more expansive elements, branching paths, etc that Super Mario World had. So we'll see.

keran22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if Nintendo announce on Sep 13th when the Wii U is being released, isn't that leaving it waaay too late if they plan on releasing in November? I don't really understand why they haven't given us a fixed date yet, unless they haven't known it because they're still developing. And I hope that's not the case because the last thing needed is for them to rush it out the door, yet you have to think if it's not out in time for Christmas they're gonna be in deep shit.

ITP: Someone who didn't pay attention to the Wii's pre-launch.
Or even what the Wii U is getting before the year is out! Pikmin 3, ZombiU, NSMBU, Project-1000, Rayman Legends...most of those are launch titles and there's much much more. What did the Wii get? A port of a Zelda game that easily played better on the Gamecube, ExciteTruck which was flawed, Red Steel which was pretty crap and a lot of low grade ports and other titles that you'd wait until they were on sale for £10 to go along with it. To be honest only WarioWare & Wii Sports showed off the motion controls properly, Zelda: TP were tacked on. ZombiU makes fantastic use of the WiiU Gamepad, so do others.

There's some ports on the Wii U of course this time but they are of a lot more quality and have more effort put into them than the Wii had and they certainly make good use of the controller.

Honestly the stuff that have been confirmed so far for launch (not even including the ones confirmed for eShop) shows that this is one of the best console line ups Nintendo has had since the SNES.

I'm afraid I gotta disagree. Whether they delivered or not in your opinion, launching a console with a Zelda title is substantially better than anything you mentioned. And bear this in mind - Nintendo had the eShop, where you could buy loads of classic games from bygone eras. That was pretty edgy. And the motion controls were so outrageously new, Wii Sports looked fantastic. And it was. Wii Play was pretty cracking too.

You're entitled to your opinion. But i'll wait on the WiiU until I see any games that interest me, that's all. Besides that, the point I was making in that para was that Nintendo can't afford to push back the launch date and miss Christmas. Surely you're not going to disagree with that too?

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
launching a console with a Zelda title is substantially better than anything you mentioned.

Yes, launching one Zelda game is better than launching a 2D Mario, a sequel to Pikmin, a new IP, a reboot of a zombie classic, a sequel to an outstanding 2D Rayman game, and a large minigame collection that will surely attract both Nintendo fans and people who are looking to get into Nintendo. Why? Because Zelda, that's why!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
launching a console with a Zelda title is substantially better than anything you mentioned.
I stand by what I said, even if there wasn't a better GC version it was hardly a great Zelda title, it was good but nothing special. Easily the weakest of the 3D Zeldas.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I would agree if Twilight Princess was TRULY a Wii game, and not a GameCube game with tacked-on motion controls. It was no more of a Wii game than any of the "New Play Control!" games were.

Also, i feel like pointing out that, considering my previous point, there's no way that the Wii's launch had anywhere near as strong of a line up as any of Nintendo's previous consoles. The NES launched with the original Super Mario Bros.. The SNES launched with Super Mario World and F-Zero. The N64 launched with Super Mario 64. The GameCube launched with Luigi's Mansion and FREAKING SUPER SMASH BROS. MELEE (by far, the greatest Nintendo launch, in my opinion). The Wii had... A GameCube Zelda port and Wii Sports?

Surely, you see what I mean. And only time will tell just how strong the Wii U's launch lineup will be.

MakiManPR

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I would agree if Twilight Princess was TRULY a Wii game, and not a GameCube game with tacked-on motion controls. It was no more of a Wii game than any of the "New Play Control!" games were.

Also, i feel like pointing out that, considering my previous point, there's no way that the Wii's launch had anywhere near as strong of a line up as any of Nintendo's previous consoles. The NES launched with the original Super Mario Bros.. The SNES launched with Super Mario World and F-Zero. The N64 launched with Super Mario 64. The GameCube launched with Luigi's Mansion and FREAKING SUPER SMASH BROS. MELEE (by far, the greatest Nintendo launch, in my opinion). The Wii had... A GameCube Zelda port and Wii Sports?

Surely, you see what I mean. And only time will tell just how strong the Wii U's launch lineup will be.

And that was enough to sell like condoms. Took me a year to find a Wii on a store.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GameCube launched with Luigi's Mansion and FREAKING SUPER SMASH BROS. MELEE (by far, the greatest Nintendo launch, in my opinion).
Actually it didn't launch with Smash Bros.

Gamecube release: Japan Sept 18 2001, US Nov 18 2001, Europe May 3rd 2002
Smash Bros Melee Release: Japan Nov 21 2001, US Dec 3rd 2001, Europe May 31st 2002.

MakiManPR

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
The GameCube launched with Luigi's Mansion and FREAKING SUPER SMASH BROS. MELEE (by far, the greatest Nintendo launch, in my opinion).
Actually it didn't launch with Smash Bros.

Gamecube release: Japan Sept 18 2001, US Nov 18 2001, Europe May 3rd 2002
Smash Bros Melee Release: Japan Nov 21 2001, US Dec 3rd 2001, Europe May 31st 2001.

:blink: :wtf: :wacko: :unsure:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3