NX-Shell - Multipurpose File Manager for Nintendo Switch

Hello everyone, the new release with the much requested USB support is finally here! (Couldn't have done it without @DarkMatterCore's usb library) It's worth mentioning since it is such a big update (backend changes and FS refactor) there *may* be some issues, but the only way I can find and fix those is through you guys! However rest assured, I did run a lot of tests myself to make sure it is functioning as expected. If I waited a month, it would've been exactly 2 years since the last release 🥺.

icon.jpg

Change-log:

• FS:
    • Added support for browsing USB devices.
    • Switched back to libc to handle FS operations.
    • Brought back support for browsing other devices such as safe, user and system.
  • GUI:
    • Update to imGui v1.88.
    • Switch to imGui's new keyEvent API.
    • The two views (File Browser and Settings) can now be navigated as tabs.
    • Switched from list view to a table view using imGui's table API.
    • Sorting is no longer applied from settings, it can be done directly by clicking on the table column headers.
    • A new selector has been added to allow the user to switch to different devices such as safe, user, USB etc.
    • Settings are no longer categorized by imGui's tree system.
    • No longer uses SDL2 as a backend, but instead uses opengl v3 directly (along with egl).
  • Fixes:
    • Properly delete config file if the config file version is outdated.
    • Properly free textures after exiting application.
    • Fixed scrolling via the right joystick after zooming into an image.
    • Lots of code clean up and under the hood changes that are too many to list here.

f43g1ya.jpg

3dU0ciU.jpg

2022080419235500-a282ce99633b844e0497db963451d670-jpg.321175

Download: https://github.com/joel16/NX-Shell/releases

Last edited by Joel16,

MrWhosHacking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Current version: 1.01 (Beta)

Features:

- Delete files folders.
- Copy/Move files and folders.
- Displays file size. (files only ATM)
- Image viewer (PNG/JPG/GIF/BMP)
- Extract .ZIP files.
- Sorting options (Sort by name, date, size).
- Dark theme toggle.

S90wMz1.jpg

abzARE1.jpg

aI95vgZ.jpg

V8Grsko.jpg

5UCClKq.jpg

LlzSKy0.jpg

Controls:
Code:
- Press X to bring up options.
- Press A to confirm/enter directory.
- Press B to cancel/leave directory.
- D-Pad is currently used for navigation only.

Download: https://github.com/joel16/NX-Shell/releases/tag/1.00 (Please note this is a very early beta, just releasing this to get some opinions on this)

well i open up roms its about 3.7 gb and for from reason goes black weird and it takes about 3mins is that normal ... at first i thought my switch went to brick mode cause it went black.. i restarted the switch and once i load nx shell same thing black but i waited and 3 mins i load ..

Codiox

Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
will this allow us to edit some textfiles in the future?

would be awesome to edit some config files on the go for like retroarch!

keep up the good work!

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i open up roms its about 3.7 gb and for from reason goes black weird and it takes about 3mins is that normal ... at first i thought my switch went to brick mode cause it went black.. i restarted the switch and once i load nx shell same thing black but i waited and 3 mins i load ..

Looks like there could be a problem loading such a large directory. Does it have a bunch of files? To get rid of it, use FTP or something and delete /switch/NX-Shell/lastdir.txt. You probably shouldn't open that directory again tbh until I sort this out.

will this allow us to edit some textfiles in the future?

would be awesome to edit some config files on the go for like retroarch!

keep up the good work!

Maybe, if I get some time in the future. That is a planned feature.

@Joel16 just seen on github you fixed the audio related bugs, does that mean a release is close? even just a little one

Yeah, you guessed it.

NX-Shell Beta Release 3 is up!

Music Player:
i6QJ8ov.jpg

Simple OSK:
CtKlq7m.jpg

Change-log + Download link

Last edited by Joel16,

steven89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
got issues on 3.0.0 @Joel16
straight up crash on loading up
so deleted the .cfg and lastdir files from the nx-shell
folder same issue still happens
to be clear im refering the beta just posted issue had occurred before not sure if it cause i downloaded last beta from the appstore

Last edited by steven89,

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
got issues on 3.0.0 @Joel16
straight up crash on loading up
so deleted the .cfg and lastdir files from the nx-shell
folder same issue still happens
to be clear im refering the beta just posted issue had occurred before not sure if it cause i downloaded last beta from the appstore

Funny because I'm on 3.00 as well. Try deleting the entire NX Shell folder and copy the NRO from the release to /switch/. See if that helps.

itsjch

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Funny because I'm on 3.00 as well. Try deleting the entire NX Shell folder and copy the NRO from the release to /switch/. See if that helps.

I havent tried it yet but say i was to plug in a usb thumb drive and want to copy something over to switch sdcard do you think that would be possible?

steven89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
appears to be .mp3 support @Joel16 have you included support for any other audio formats out of curiosity ive only tried mp3s as that mostly what i have too hand.
EDIT: Oops forgot to read the release notes properly lol

Last edited by steven89,

steven89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Suggestion / small feature request if possible sorry to be cheek but @Joel16 in the audio player would it be possible to get an L + R skip feature ie back and forward to next song or auto play next song

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Suggestion / small feature request if possible sorry to be cheek but @Joel16 in the audio player would it be possible to get an L + R skip feature ie back and forward to next song or auto play next song

You use the touch controls or left/right for that. Next/Previous only works for MP3 files at the moment.

Reactions: steven89

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Works great for renaming! Any way to move the cursor back and forth between characters or do I just need to backspace to the point I want? Also, the X wasn't clear as being delete, I thought it was cancel, lol.

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Works great for renaming! Any way to move the cursor back and forth between characters or do I just need to backspace to the point I want? Also, the X wasn't clear as being delete, I thought it was cancel, lol.

Yeah I'll probably push a minor release some time soon to address cursor movement. Yeah the 'X' deletes chars but if you wanted to touch to return you can use the back button on the top left. It will cancel everything.

MrWhosHacking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like there could be a problem loading such a large directory. Does it have a bunch of files? To get rid of it, use FTP or something and delete /switch/NX-Shell/lastdir.txt. You probably shouldn't open that directory again tbh until I sort this out.

Maybe, if I get some time in the future. That is a planned feature.

Yeah, you guessed it.

NX-Shell Beta Release 3 is up!

Music Player:
i6QJ8ov.jpg

Simple OSK:
CtKlq7m.jpg

Change-log + Download link
thats my roms folder

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats my roms folder
Does it have a lot of ROMs/files in it? Like 255+? It could be the reason why. You should delete the /switch/NX-Shell/lastdir.txt. Don't try to open the ROMs folder again or it'll crash. I'll try to see what's up but you'll need to give me some info

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, :creep: